The Producer : The Slave Of Sample?

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
Damnn, my tank is just empty. I try to compose beats, but these days, I feel that i'm doing the same whole shit. I dunno if it's cuz I need new sounds or i need to use new scales and chords. It's been a couple of weeks like this.

So I came to the conclusion....that we or slaves of sample, we just HAVE to sample. At one point every producer will use sample, all the people that says they just compose..well they will always have to comeback crawling to samples at one point. I wasn't sampling for a long time, but now i realise i just have to go back and dig again

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
Qwerty said:
Damnn, my tank is just empty. I try to compose beats, but these days, I feel that i'm doing the same whole shit. I dunno if it's cuz I need new sounds or i need to use new scales and chords. It's been a couple of weeks like this.

So I came to the conclusion....that we or slaves of sample, we just HAVE to sample. At one point every producer will use sample, all the people that says they just compose..well they will always have to comeback crawling to samples at one point. I wasn't sampling for a long time, but now i realise i just have to go back and dig again

Thats an opinion not a fact.

When i can't create i draw, take a walk or just take a break or just dive into another style of music. I dont go to sampling. And that Everyone will end up going to a sample that might you but mos def not me

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
It Is An Opinion But A Damn Good One

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
Nnxt said:
Thats an opinion not a fact.

When i can't create i draw, take a walk or just take a break or just dive into another style of music. I dont go to sampling. And that Everyone will end up going to a sample that might you but mos def not me

Sampling, doesn't always mean taking a part of a record, it can also mean, replay something, get inspire from a certain melody. I find it hard to believe, that you never inspired yourself with a melody you heard somewhere, when you had a block.

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah man i hate it when people brag about "100% composed" its like man, have you ever tried chopping the shit out of a record and making something totally new, in my opinion thats harder than composing a beat, when ur composing its like, okay, i want the next note higher to compliment this, when ur choppin ur like oh shit, and u gotta go look for it you know, some people just see sampling as getting a cool loop and puttin drums on it, like collosus said, when u take sampling to certain levels, it's in my opinion harder than composing a beat

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
I dunno about yall, but I just realized that sampling is our way of orchestrating. We don't write the chords or whatnot, but we go in those records with something in particular in mind. The instant we find it, we mold it and sculpt away until we have what we envisioned.

By "we", I meant me, and possibly some of yall (I don't want to generalize us as producers or anything).

But sampling.... dog. I sample. Visually, musically, artistically, ideas lyrics shirts color schemes, I sample it all. But really, isn't sampling just another form of like... redrawing that picture of snoopy in the grid?

We do it until we cant stand to do it so confined, then we begin composing. And it sounds like shit. So we sample again... we learn more... we try it again.... back and forth until we're actually getting somewhere that we can say "look, mom, check this shit out... I made this track" and not have to worry about feeling like we're plaigerizing.

I love sampling, but one day I want to be able to have an album that has just as much artistic weight as the stuff I love to listen to, but without having to have a works cited page in the liner notes. Hell.... I want to compose WITH those artists I sampled once.

That shit would be like so damn cyclical and gangsta. I'd die happy.

Long post shortened: We love sampling because since we're so interested in this music, we love to learn about it. Sampling is learning. Researching, studying, analyzing, interpreting, discovering, rediscovering, destroying, and rebuilding.... That's what sampling is about for me.

For some, though, it's raping the hell out of "Nautilus". Those, I hope they fart during sex on their honeymoon, or something equally humiliating.

Gene Flo

"Current Events" OUT NOW! www.TheVerbalImage.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
Qwerty said:

damn i feel ya 100% this is how im feeling too man

Bloodybastid

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Just do what you want...as long as it comes out hot that's all it matters....there are no damn rules....just don't jack beats.

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^ word i didnt mean to attack composers or anything, merely protect samplers.

I sample because thats how almost every song that i like was made. so i strive to make music i like. not feeling most of the composed songs out there.

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ColossusBeatfix said:
^ word i didnt mean to attack composers or anything, merely protect samplers.

I sample because thats how almost every song that i like was made. so i strive to make music i like. not feeling most of the composed songs out there.

that's exactly how i feel, there are few composed songs that i really enjoy as much as a good sampled beat

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
trebeatz said:
that's exactly how i feel, there are few composed songs that i really enjoy as much as a good sampled beat
I agree with you there.... But at the same time... Doesn't that sample come FROM a composed song?

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
Qwerty said:
Sampling, doesn't always mean taking a part of a record, it can also mean, replay something, get inspire from a certain melody. I find it hard to believe, that you never inspired yourself with a melody you heard somewhere, when you had a block.

My friend, i know exacty what sampling is. I know how deep it goes i know it goes a hell of alot further than taking a sound/loop/whatever off of anything.

I wasn't trying to make myself bigger than anyone by saying i dont do it. i was just saying what you said was an opinion not a fact and when i get in blocks i dont sample.

When you said

At one point every producer will use sample, all the people that says they just compose..well they will always have to comeback crawling to samples at one point

that came off as you will eventually use a Sample(s) thats just how it came off, thats the direction you shot it towards (even if you didn't mean it in that way)

When i think composing im not talkin about hiphop im more so thinking Real soul,rnb, Jazz (not hiphop beats) music actually sitting down and playing /recording Live instruments. (yes i play alot of my own instruments) i love my horns :)

so i was just being honest when i get in writers block i dont sample. Simple as that and all these people kinda took it as me knocking sampling but. whatever take it how you like.

gram green

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Nnxt said:
so i was just being honest when i get in writers block i dont sample. Simple as that and all these people kinda took it as me knocking sampling but. whatever take it how you like.

funny how cats that cant do something try to make it seem like a conscious decision that they dont want to do it

people who think they above sampling are gay... and usually dont have what it takes to do it anyways

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
lol, even your taking it the wrong way sigh.. I can sample, i like sampling.. its just never something i've used to get out of a writers block is what i was stating. Sampling is great, i have no issue with flipping or chopping whatever kind of sampling i dont understand why people are taking what im saying lefty.

Anyway where are u in denver im right in your city. Who you working with out there

< Atown click, nyke loc (nyke nitty), nate (Sony Writer) Dubmedia.
Paradox, DJquote,Midas.

O

open mind

dont force creativity that was something i learned hear at illmuzik.if nothing goes DONT FORCE.take a cup of tea and get into your brain then go back and hit them damn KEYZ or damn Samplez!.iam out!

gram green

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Nnxt said:
lol, even your taking it the wrong way sigh.. I can sample, i like sampling.. its just never something i've used to get out of a writers block is what i was stating. Sampling is great, i have no issue with flipping or chopping whatever kind of sampling i dont understand why people are taking what im saying lefty.

Anyway where are u in denver im right in your city. Who you working with out there

< Atown click, nyke loc (nyke nitty), nate (Sony Writer) Dubmedia.
Paradox, DJquote,Midas.

wow how do you know all the shitty washed up cats out here

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
gram green said:
wow how do you know all the shitty washed up cats out here

Met Dj Quote at a Studio, (think it was over up in westminister) he was doing something wish some group Forgot they they name (Starts with a M). Group is ran by some cat named Dragon (dude ran a Lab off unita and Colfax (around there) Anyway found out Djquote had deep Connections in Nyc so i just networked with him. then he got me a few meetings with clinton sparks (nothing really big) which ended in me getting some tracks Placed with Upn. then later i kinda met a few older producer that do nothing but co produced and write so i get little projects with sony through em.

lol trash/washed up or not im not gonna turn down a Local artist(s) money. I don't feel everything Rie Rie does but can't hate what she does either she obviously has her fan base.

Paradox being Washed up? they have been talking out a lil Deal with la Reid for some time. (but who knows how that will even turn out)

Edit- Melowed Out (thats what they was called.

and yea yea people say what they want about Djquote but bottom line the guy has industry connections out the A$$. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=21578632

i'll network with anyone (thats just the key) Wack or not people know people