The reason why hardware IS better than software !

MaineOne

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
pc's are more likley to have problems with internet use!!!! I dont wanna start a heated debate but that's the only reason I switched to Mac. I was told for years, that pc's are prone to viruses and problems from internet use. I was like the only dude in the design firm I used to work for that used a PC. I never heard any of them have problems with viruses.

But no-matter what you use, it is always good to keep it clean as possible. Also organized with back-ups for any important application!!!

J

Johnta

MaineOne said:
pc's are more likley to have problems with internet use!!!! I dont wanna start a heated debate but that's the only reason I switched to Mac. I was told for years, that pc's are prone to viruses and problems from internet use. I was like the only dude in the design firm I used to work for that used a PC. I never heard any of them have problems with viruses.

But no-matter what you use, it is always good to keep it clean as possible. Also organized with back-ups for any important application!!!

PC's are virus magnets because they are most popular and most viruses are created using Unix or Linux which run on PC's, so the viruses of course will mostly be targeted to PC's. Anyways, I use both Mac and PC for compatibility reasons. They both have their Pro's and Con's.

erkl

Funky Walker Dirty Talker
ill o.g.
just keep your music PC off the internet, i dont have internet in the studio and ive never had a problem with my computer other than it might crash after a few days if i dont reboot it and keep grinding it with heavy apps.

J

Johnta

erkl said:
just keep your music PC off the internet, i dont have internet in the studio and ive never had a problem with my computer other than it might crash after a few days if i dont reboot it and keep grinding it with heavy apps.

I agree

always back up your stuff and save as much as possible

ed_sizzahanz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Use Both!!!!!

This thread should never have been started!! My PC crashed/died/whatever you wanna call it a day after I read it!! LOL! The good thing is that I have 2 HD's, one for system ops, and the other for audio. I'm glad it was the system drive that died, I just have to reload the software. I use hardware for beatmaking, but record to the PC so I still have everything saved on the MPC and Motif, but my studio is still down since I can't record.

I'm getting another PC for the house only and won't have the 'net on mines when I get it fixed. I bought a IMac G5 Monday and had it for a day before my company's financial consultant (wife) made me take it back. LOL But wait till tax time, baby!!

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I got a pc running Fl Studio yea it crashes at times but i cant complain jus back ya stuff up thats all as for hardware my MPC 2000xl has crached a few times that bugged me out, for real, but i love them together sample ur fl stuff onto the the mpc and sewuence and drums on the mpc whooo!! thats the shizznit PC's and hardware are ment to live together

jkman82

ill o.g.
so any way, im new to making my own music/producing, and i am getting some equipment, would you guys recomend the roland sp-404 sampler or a m-audio trigger finger and some software for my mac, i was thinking the sp-404 but i think in the long run the m-audio trigger finger plus software ( any suggestions for sampling/ easy producing programs) would be better when i got my sh*t together

C

Chasemusic

the reality...

Hypnotist wrote:

In terms of hardware vs. software, I prefer software simply because there are so many shortcuts and algorithms that were made to make magic in a matter of seconds. But if you're a recording buff like me, then you appreciate both, because you need hardware several steps along the way. And the top-of-the-line consoles (SSL and Neve) have the sickest software in them for taking snapshots of the mix and fader moves.

In reality - Here is the deal...

If you are ONLY in a software based environment, and it's time to mix - you end up "Jamming" all your individual sound streams (up to 128 or more) down a single bit stream (stereo, eh?) ...and this tends to cramp up the stereo spectrum, technically referred to as “audio constipation.” But, when you integrate the worlds (software & hardware - analog) .. well, the mix summing bus in an analog desk provides considerably more useable headroom and signal integrity. Comparatively, the “in the box” mixing method is most commonly described as degrading the stereo image and depth of the soundfield.

Also, using the SSL (or other mixers) also allows easy integration with the analog world, since you can insert your cool EQs and compressors without the inherent delay and phase shift that is the by-product of plug-ins and the digital process itself.

I hope this helps about the hardware and software thing, at least as far as mixing goes.

be cool -
www.musicpowers.com

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
this is a none issue with modern daws ("audio constipation" eh hee) but i myself like hardware because of the process i find it's fun and it's more easy to be creative enjoying yourself

i like playing synths in as just wav files, playing patterns straight into sonar on my sp-404 as wav files, playing bass, drums, percussion etc.... this is a luxry but it can be conducive (spelling?) to creativity

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
I prefer software to hardware when it comes to editing and recording, as you can do so many things on-the-fly without splicing 2" tape, which is tedious, especially when you mess up the cut 6 times because the coffee is making your hands shake. But honestly, when I cut one of my songs on 2", it sounded better than anything I've ever done in Pro Tools. It's just that Pro Tools is so damn efficient, and I can wrap up a session in less than half the time it takes tape to record and play back and find memory locations and edit.

Whoever mixes "in-the-box", which I do most of the time because it's practical and affordable, remember that you ARE limiting yourself. The mixes I've done on the SSL are FAR better than the in-the-box ones. Besides being able to have the headroom to tweak your levels, EQs and compression, when you channel your signal through analog components and tubes, it just does something to your sound that no software can compete with.

Now there are tons of arguments, saying:
"The digital domain is so clean, and you should stay in it as long as possible. Analog adds color to your sound that you don't want."
Then the other side usually says:
"There's this <i>warmth</i> in analog that you just <i>can't get</i> in the digital domain. Analog adds color to your sound that you <i>do want!</i>"

That's why I think it's awesome how analog and digital, along with hardware and software come together. Today, the best mixing engineers will take the digital Pro Tools sessions, and mix them down on an <i>analog</i> board, onto <i>analog</i> 1/2" tape. And then they get mastered into a CD, back into the digital domain. What's funny is that they're <i>replicated</i>, (not duplicated) and the process is physical; the way the zeroes and ones get "stamped" into melted poly-carbonate on the other CDs by the master. I find it strange that the process of copying digital data is done so mechanically.

It is impossible to not have hardware with software somewhere along the line though. It all starts with a microphone, anyway. Sound is <i>analogous</i> to whatever it moves or vibrates through. Our ears perceive the changes in air molecules, in what's called <i>compression</i> and <i>rarefaction</i>. A microphone perceives the same thing. Down the cord, you now have options. You can transfer this into math or you can continue to have components <i>analogous</i> to the air pressure changes recording your sound. Transistors and diodes and tubes and capacitors will take your electrical energy and manipulate the voltage. Tape will saturate your electrical energy into magnetic particles. And then it all goes backwards, back to the original transducing element, but now a speaker, that pushes the air molecules again. If you stay in the software domain, you lose the <i>analogy</i>. Math is calculated. Waves are <i>redrawn</i> and manmade algorithms simulate what the analog components do.

Technically, if you sample music and piece things together that were already recorded, then you could possibly do every single thing in-the-box and convert it to an mp3 and put it out on the internet and let it stay digital forever. But when it hits someone's speakers, you can tell where it was done.

With that said, forget everything in this post and go back to piecing together that 64kbps mp3 that you downloaded of the song from Rocky. :)

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
An equivalent of reason in hardware is expensive ( talking a pro set up with high end gear ). You can argue the results or diminshing the "small" differences but to a certain point the flaws become appearant and with to a certain point I do mean when your production would be mixed and mastered in a professional environment. If you like this for a hobby then sw is the best solution for the all in the box solutions, no matter how you look things. But if you like quality, punchiness, character just power in general than hardware will convince you in the process of producing while with sw you have to emulate the same kinda dynamics in order to get the idea your sound or whatever you're doing is good. Having more hands on control is also a plus, I mean, even if you have a 1000 knobs going to control your daw, nothing is as responsive as hardware, it works instantly which makes you ears very happy. Realtime rendering and latency even remain at the fastest setups because everything needs to be rendered, think of a vst synth vs a hardware synth ( va or not ) or slow knob responses ( with techno, tweaking knobs aint as fun with vst's because there's a always a delay/latency when altering a parameter which I dont have with my virus ). Another issue, also described and mentioned above, a summing of a mix on a pc is not the same as summing on a console, you're comparing the compution of 1 and 0 with adding/subtracting voltages through a discrete cirquitry. On this, even when having a shitty behringer, when you route an amount of channels to sum to it, it would sound much better then rendering the summing on a pc. Now you can say that hardware is expensive ( and it is ) but this is only when having a recording studio and not a production setup with a micpath but there's also cats that spend a fortune on a daw setup but are to noob to know what a good setup is for them meaning they could have benefitted more from hardware. Like PT is quite expensive, but you only use it to record? You can record with any platform so why bother with a complete outfit when the only thing you want to do is register music ? You can save that money and get something like sx or logic, without controllers etc because for hiphop you dont need that shit, especialy when just making beats and recording one signal path.

Anyway, I dont want convenience, I want to make good productions and willing to take effort and time into it. There's no other way with hardware since you're being forced to get into all the details and work em out.

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
Well said!

The reason I have Pro Tools on my laptop is so I can do everything at home, and still have the option to bring it to the studio and mix it, or give it to someone else. Unfortunately, I've never gotten into Logic or Nuendo, which I hear are much better than Pro Tools, but Digi has taken the industry hostage and has become the industry standard. Personally, I love it for its functions, and everyone and their mother is making a plugin for it, not to mention if you're into programming, you can make your own. Easier said than done of course, but I know a few professionals who are doing that just to make some specific math for their own benefit, depending on what they do.

Which brings up another plus about software. You can have templates for several different setups that you'll use regularly. Imagine all those knobs sitting there, and using recall sheets to put them all back in place every time you need it.

Basically, if I had a huge budget to make a record, I would have Manleys, Avalons, Lexicons, 1176s, Focusrites, LA-2As, Tube Techs, and a shiny SSL 9000J or 4000G alongside Pro Tools, mixing down to 1/2" analog tape. But with my budget now, and my schedule, I can do everything in-the-box with Pro Tools, Reason and Rewire, and set up my mixes on the train with my laptop, MBox and headphones, then mix it on some decent monitors. And I do it on the train because I CAN. Ha.

FSC

Royal Souf Productions
ill o.g.
I was thinking about getting Pro Tools since i got rid of my tascam 2488. But then i thought about having to buy another computer or upgrade the one that i got now. So i'm changing my mind.. I'll just look for another recorder..