the role of high hats

thedon98

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
That's my question it surely be this put some standard high hats down eg note repeate then speed swome of them up and be happy with that sequence lol

Some helkp please

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Hank Shocklee in Scratch magazine says that if you make high hats louder then it makes the person lean more into the track, if they are softer in the mix then people will lay back on the song..
Hes right..
Additionally when you triple them up in spots they make you bounce..

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 215
Hank Shocklee in Scratch magazine says that if you make high hats louder then it makes the person lean more into the track, if they are softer in the mix then people will lay back on the song..
Hes right..
Additionally when you triple them up in spots they make you bounce..

THAT MAKES PERFECT SENSE TO.

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
personally i don't really mess with hi hats that much (i know, i know)...
im pretty sure they won't get "played out" and it all depends on the type of stuff you do. when i use them i like to just put them in quarter notes. thats because i like to have all kinds of other stuff going on with the kicks...that trick also works well when you're doing the Dre thing where its just kick-snare-kick-snare.

experiment...the purpose of hi hats is to hold the pocket or rhythm but thats not the law.

FuzE

i make beatz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 99
hi hats are glue for ya chops, sometimes they're not needed, sometimes they make the difference between night and day.

IMO they help control the energy, vibe, mood of a beat depending how you use them.

just make a beat and put the hats on the 16's and then switch em to 8ths. Different vibe.

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
I usually do the standard 1/8 with the Hi Hats. Depends on the song really. I like to do what sounds best with what I am doing. Since I usually do Boom Bap kinda Underground beats, 1/8 is usually the norm for me.

DJ Redrum

Playin' For Keeps
ill o.g.
What I mean is how do u change your high hat pattern instead of the boing boring and plain.

Which program(s) do you happen to use for your beats, as with you saying '' How do you change the H-Hat patterns so there not sounding boring ''seems like you are not recording them live and insted you are drawing them in, but i maybe wrong on that one.

I find that listening to alot of southern rap albums from the mid 90s have helps me alot with my HH patterns/styles as you can find them being used on 90% of there tracks. Releases from New Orleans seem to have the best Hi-Hat variations in my opinion, but any down south should help. Check out some of Master Ps old albums if you can.

Bakatraxx

ill o.g.
I use HiHats to give the swing to a beat when using non complex kick lines. Like a kick on 5 and 13, then if you put Hihats on 1 3 5 7 8 9 11 13 15 it would bring the drum that swing effect.

I think the role of HiHats is defined by the beat/song and not by the defenition lol :-D

Peace

E

ehud

Consistent hats can add a 4/4 feel to an atypical time signature, so it's easier for emcees to follow.

Note repeat is corny and robotic, unless that's what you intentionally want. It robs the composition of humanness, IMHO.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
hi hats hits can go just about anywhere and be ok, they don't really have a set role which kinda supports what Agent Smith was saying...the only thing is that the way they are put together usually references the type of beat they are in but even still it doesn't really matter. Dirty South will triple up on hi hat hits more often than be-bop or whatever just because it defines that style of beat making better but its still not set in stone. You can freak hi hat hits however you like.

MOF

thedon98

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Your right about drawing them maybe I shoukd try and play them on the pads and see how that goes.

P

prospekt

i don't know if this answers the question but I like to turn the quantize off and put the hat on 16 levels and play whatever the beat is saying, it sorta gives a realistic drummer feel to what is being played. The hats are almost the most important factor in my studio besides the drums. A track doesn't sound the same without some sick hats :). You could also try playing two different types of hats on the same track, sounds real dope if you don't get too crazy with em

members online