The Secret Meeting That Changed Rap Music

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I'm leaning more towards fake but I can't rule out the possibility altogether. Mr. Anonymous said..."Our job would be to help make this happen by marketing music which promotes criminal behavior, rap being the music of choice." I just feel like this would be such a small part of a bigger picture that it wouldn't really make sense to have him and peers of his sort in this meeting. I would think that a meeting like this would only be comprised of people who would be directly responsible for filling these prisons, not "decision makers in the record industry". Then again you just can't rule out anything.

Personally I wouldnt doubt it.
But my real issue here is down to dates.
He said this meeting was held in 91, but NWA's first album was released in '88.
So we had gangster rap 3 years before this meeting.

That aside I can see how this could actually be a possibility.
Prison populations dont lie.
Well OK maybe they do, lol.

nobodyelse

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
If rappers rap, do hip hoppers hop?

I'm not sure if this is real or fake, but I do know that rap music has turned into a pile of shit... Back in the day I could go see or listen to Public Enemy, Krs-One, MC Lyte, and countless others and the music had a profound effect on my thoughts, and views.. Now alot of this ignorant stuff is just one giant brain f*ck! 2 Chainz? Yo Gotti? Lil B? REALLY? I could name a bunch of others that perpetuate a dumbing down of the culture to me, but I digress hopefully things turn around sooner than later.

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
I'm not sure if this is real or fake, but I do know that rap music has turned into a pile of shit... Back in the day I could go see or listen to Public Enemy, Krs-One, MC Lyte, and countless others and the music had a profound effect on my thoughts, and views.. Now alot of this ignorant stuff is just one giant brain f*ck! 2 Chainz? Yo Gotti? Lil B? REALLY? I could name a bunch of others that perpetuate a dumbing down of the culture to me, but I digress hopefully things turn around sooner than later.

but how much of that did you hear on the radio? back in the day, you had to go to a specific spot to hear what you wanted. there was SOME radio play, but not much. i don't remember KRS-1 being on the radio at all. the only MC Lyte song that i remember being on the radio ever was "Poor Georgie." so i really blame this on the fact that we as "enjoyers of hip-hop" have gotten lazy by depending on the radio to tell us what to listen to. there is "good" hip-hop out there, just like there's always been. just do like ice cube said on "Amerikkka's Most Wanted" and "turn of the motherfuckin' radio!"

nobodyelse

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
What did the five fingers say to the face?

@ Wrightboy. I'm not sure where you grew up, but the radio stations in Chicago played all the greats when I was growing up, and that's probably due to the fact that the old school deejays(when I was younger) were hip hop (or in some cases house music)heads in the "urban" markets.. MC Lyte had cha cha cha, lyte as a rock, ruffneck, stop look listen, I heard all that on the radio. At that time I would hear the songs on the radio, then go and buy the tapes (remember those). Rap at that time was diverse and topical, even NWA was played on the radio back then.. Lazy? I dunno know if I would limit that to just hip hop cats looking for that raw truely dope hip hop shit or if the scarcity of that type of music makes some people think it just doesn't exist anymore. I personally don't listen to the radio for creative reasons but also because the radio now doesn't have anything meaningful to contribute to my thoughts, inspiration, or creative process..

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
@nobodyelse - i hear you. i grew up in miami. i heard ALL of that music, just not on the radio. for me, it was all about word of mouth. friends who came down from NY with tapes every summer. and my uncle was a dj, so i used to raid his stash. yeah, we had some of it on the radio down there, but it was the "majors"...ll, run dmc, nwa. if anything, i heard more music by watching The Box, than by listening to the radio. anyway, we're off topic.....

interesting post Fade. don't know if i totally believe it, but i can see parts of it being the case, which is still f'd up.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
Don't believe any of the article, but it does open the door for some interesting conversations, namely the shift of lyrical content in rap that happened around that time (around 89-94). Before this, rappers we would consider lyricist would for the most part would rap about their lyrical prowess, or some political/spiritual issue. Now of course I am not speaking in absolutes. KRS, rapped about his 9MM, Kool G Rap had the classic Road to the Riches, and Ice T talked about the streets from day 1. And in Houston, Geto Boys were ahead of their time as for as what they were rappin about. But the overwhelming majority of lyrical rap had little to do with "gangsta rap lyrics" , for lack of a better term. Nobody back then rapped about selling drugs in a bragging way, like " I sold this and that". Dr.Dre rapped " I don't smoke weed or cess". Scarface once said in an interview that he rapped about selling drugs when it wasn't cool to rap about such things.

Nobody celebrated that lifestyle back then, not in rap lyrics at least. Think about that. There was once a time when bragging about selling drugs was not cool. Juxtapose that to rap today. I'm not saying if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I'm just describing an event in rap music history.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm going with fake, but a plausible story.

This story suggests that there was no/infinitesimal amounts of drugs sold, gang activities, killing and getting locked up until 91' onwards in the black community or otherwise. The music is not a contribution to the situation, it's a reflection of it. What sober just done was actually my next move, look up some the first gangster rap releases, or even just any releases before this supposed date.

There are some elements that have some truths, more or less, in terms of corrupt gains and some legal loopholes thus the plausibility of this story. Still, I think anyone who believes this to be true without any more info, evidence or corroboration are those who want to believe in the "Big corporations are conspiring to get me, my family and our neighbors; the little people" stories because it seems like it's the easy answer.

It's no different that the whole, the Illuminati controls the music and movies and magazines and TV and the internet and your MP3 player and the phones and the billboards and your board games and your playing cards and your pen and your jewelry and whatever else you have little to no control over crap people keep spewing every single day when they know nothing about The Illuminati or any other occult for that matter.

Maybe we need to bring true horror into the movies and games again and not just suspense, cause people seem to just want to scare themselves with ideas of shit they can't control or crusade against.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I'm going with fake.....

The prisons were being filled before this whole decision took place, the hardcore/gangsta rap was evident before '91 and it would've taken a few years to truly get that to fruition...

It really sounds like someone is just trying to fill the people's heads with conspiracy theories. My thing is if the non-disclosure agreement was for termination of employment, and the person isn't part of the biz, anymore....why not state your name?

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm going with fake.....

The prisons were being filled before this whole decision took place, the hardcore/gangsta rap was evident before '91 and it would've taken a few years to truly get that to fruition...

It really sounds like someone is just trying to fill the people's heads with conspiracy theories. My thing is if the non-disclosure agreement was for termination of employment, and the person isn't part of the biz, anymore....why not state your name?

lol for fear they'll track him down and eliminate him. That's why they through the guns in the story, for good measure to counter doubt.

cristapu

That Illuminati is some fuk'd up shit.. What happened to 2pac, he was eliminated by that cult, Im not sure if its true, but I believe it, I bet yall have thought about that, the same with biggie, hunted the same way.. and somehow this connects with unfamiliar faces with guns from this meeting.
dayum they control everything, and I mean Everything, the facts just speak for themselves..something is coming, something big.

cristapu

I just havent got any expierence with them, just have read and watched about them, but I know there is something outside, you know.

some people believe in god, nobody is sure about its truth. but thats another story, and very different.

BrianBeatz

Battle Points: 1
I'm not saying it's fake or real, but before anyone should make judgment they should do intensive research. It's hard to believe a man who didn't even wanna give any type of companies or names.

Medl4

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 69
@Lion-ucs-I thought the same thing, I believe its a mechanism based on making sense of an otherwise paradoxical reality. But at the same time I have done quite a bit of reading on the music/entertainment industry's involvement in occult practices and how they engineer social trends that can sometimes take 10 to 15 years to take effect. Call it what you want, negative energy doesn't need a name or an organization to flourish, it just IS the same way that positive influences can take hold. Yin & Yang. Its all in how an individual can balance the energy, these "dark forces" basically breed entire generations into a state of trance using tactics that tap into the subconscious need to be part of a social order & by exploiting peoples fear of ridicule due to independent thought in a "group think" society. They are helping take away peoples ability to NOT be mindless consuming machines. they do a very good job of steering impressionable minds into a dark spiral of spiritual & mental decay, this story presented in the letter may not be fact, but the entire premise is all too real & whoever wrote this had obviously looked into the facts (the privatized prison system in the US being one of many outlets for social control)Keep 3 eyes open & dont be fooled by the flashing lights. Love over money.

@Lion-ucs-I thought the same thing, I believe its a mechanism based on making sense of an otherwise paradoxical reality. But at the same time I have done quite a bit of reading on the music/entertainment industry's involvement in occult practices and how they engineer social trends that can sometimes take 10 to 15 years to take effect. Call it what you want, negative energy doesn't need a name or an organization to flourish, it just IS the same way that positive influences can take hold. Yin & Yang. Its all in how an individual can balance the energy, these "dark forces" basically breed entire generations into a state of trance using tactics that tap into the subconscious need to be part of a social order & by exploiting peoples fear of ridicule due to independent thought in a "group think" society. They are helping take away peoples ability to NOT be mindless consuming machines. they do a very good job of steering impressionable minds into a dark spiral of spiritual & mental decay, this story presented in the letter may not be fact, but the entire premise is all too real & whoever wrote this had obviously looked into the facts (the privatized prison system in the US being one of many outlets for social control)Keep 3 eyes open & dont be fooled by the flashing lights. Love over money.

you sound like me

members online