The single most powerful mixing trick I have ever learned....

So in all the years I have been mixing I only found out about this a few days ago. Its called the -3db mixing trick, let me explain, it has changed the whole game for me.

When starting a mix, when you are at the gain staging stage, start with the kick drum, you want to get it to peak at -3db on a VU Meter. Once you have done that, then you want to unmute the bass and with both the bass and kick you want it to peak at 0db. When you have done this then you can mix everything else. Ive tried it and it really works, and now I cant stand listening to my beats I have mixed before learning this trick.
Mixing bass and kick is the hardest part of the mixing workflow, this trick makes it simple.

Heres my last mix that I did a couple days ago, to test the trick. Played it at the studio on the big yamaha's and it sounds fucking great, used to always have a problem with too much bass, not any more. When the bass isnt taking up all the headroom it opens it up for everything else and makes a big sounding mix far easier.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
So you're saying to get the kick and bass together at 0db? Does this apply to any type of bass and kick?

It looks like an interesting trick, I need to try it. I just did a quick mix of a beat, I could have used this!

Years ago I discovered by accident how important the kick and bass is together. I just happened to have a kick that matched perfectly in tone with the bass note. It was like the kick wasn't there, it was amazing. Since then I try to match it up (when I'm not being lazy) and it makes a big difference.

So you're saying to get the kick and bass together at 0db? Does this apply to any type of bass and kick?

It looks like an interesting trick, I need to try it. I just did a quick mix of a beat, I could have used this!

Years ago I discovered by accident how important the kick and bass is together. I just happened to have a kick that matched perfectly in tone with the bass note. It was like the kick wasn't there, it was amazing. Since then I try to match it up (when I'm not being lazy) and it makes a big difference.
Getting the kick to -3db is the first step, the VU meter is set at -18 db, these values are relative, but as long as you get the kick to -3db to start, then bring in the bass until the level peaks at 0db. It has to be a VU meter. Once this step is done at the start then you can mix as usual afterwards. This has been a problem that has always plagued my mixes, just being too damn bass heavy.

members online