The thumpin' Heatmakerz sound?

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
how the f*ck do they do this? just listen to how the Diplomats Anthem kicks in so hard, and on many other of their joints.

i dont understand how they make it boom so much. the kicks they use are amazin, i cant find any like them, and the bass is so dam good.

you could copy a Heatmakerz beat quite easily but i bet you'd never get that same feel.

anyone got any tips on how to do this??

sAfE.

chazzo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Rhythmikal said:
how the f*ck do they do this? just listen to how the Diplomats Anthem kicks in so hard, and on many other of their joints.

i dont understand how they make it boom so much. the kicks they use are amazin, i cant find any like them, and the bass is so dam good.

you could copy a Heatmakerz beat quite easily but i bet you'd never get that same feel.

anyone got any tips on how to do this??

sAfE.

mixing and mastering

Honesty

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Find a loud drum and process the hell out of it, just don't over compress it or all of your thump will be gone...

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
chazzo said:
mixing and mastering

hmm yeh maybe a bit but then why wouldnt everyone else sound like this?

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
a bit? ummmmm thats the BIGGEST reason.

the reason why everyone else wouldnt sound like that is, well, for one, everyone doesnt have the same engineers. everyone wants different things to stand out in their mix, different production styles emphasize different elements....

if you dont "buy" the fact that great mastering and engineering are responsible, then we cant help you.....because thats the key. everyone doesnt want to sound that way, plus the base sounds that are used will respond differently to different mixes, so he could have had a great sounding kick to begin with- and that is half the battle.

i dont know if you are looking for some deep secret or what......

Honesty said:
Find a loud drum and process the hell out of it, just don't over compress it or all of your thump will be gone...

honesty, that doesnt exactly tell us much to say, "process the hell out of it". what processing techniques? what type of ratios on the compressor? what type of cut/bosst frequencies on the eq?? any bass plug ins? the term "process" can mean a million different things....

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
right but i think the Heatmakerz do their own mastering etc.. coz there is like 6 of them and they have Protools hooked up to a pretty big multitracker.

sAfE.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Yeah...compression helps a lot.......I try to make mine bump...by using 3 different compressors at the same time....I try to make them bump w/o it clipping or other types of distortion...but yeah...engineering has a lot to do with making drums sound the way they do.....

chazzo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
coming sooN said:
Yeah...compression helps a lot.......I try to make mine bump...by using 3 different compressors at the same time....I try to make them bump w/o it clipping or other types of distortion...but yeah...engineering has a lot to do with making drums sound the way they do.....

Actually there 3 of them . Two of them make beats and one handles all of the business.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
for one, most producers DONT do all their mastering, and i doubt they do, since they are so concerned with gettin paid in 20 minutes (i doubt they would put in the effort, given their attitude) and there are three of them.

you sayin everybody with pro tools can master? pro tools is simply a method of tracking so that you can send a session directly to your mastering house with the least bit of difficulty.

and if they did do their own mastering, it desnt make a difference, because the answer to your question is still the same- it is still a result of mastering and engineering, regardless of who is doing it.

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
Cold Truth said:
for one, most producers DONT do all their mastering, and i doubt they do, since they are so concerned with gettin paid in 20 minutes (i doubt they would put in the effort, given their attitude) and there are three of them.

you sayin everybody with pro tools can master? pro tools is simply a method of tracking so that you can send a session directly to your mastering house with the least bit of difficulty.

and if they did do their own mastering, it desnt make a difference, because the answer to your question is still the same- it is still a result of mastering and engineering, regardless of who is doing it.

boy....your avatar is you to a tee.......just relentlessly beating people over the head with the cold truth...

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
Cold Truth said:

i still aint convinced that its the engineers who give it that kick. they may help, but they aint do that themselves. the whole point of the Dipset Anthem is the thump it has, it cant be that the heatmakerz made this little beat and just sent it off and the engineers made it a huge hit.

the engineer dont choose the kick or the bass used, and they dont sequence them, they just bring em out.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
i know that, rythmical.

listen closely:

Producer x makes a beat and sends the TRACKED beat, the "Session" to the mastering house.

Mastering house does "their thing" and mixes, eq's, and processes through the use of various things- limiters, gates, reverbs, delays, maximizers, enhancers, etc.

their JOB is to make a mix sound good "overall"- meaning walkmans, cd players, stereos, car systems, t.v, and radio (though i suspect that radio gets a another treatment of its own).

they dont do anything in regards to creating the actual recording, yes, you are right. they do not pick the kick. what i said, was that it is entirely possible that they had a great base sample- the kick they used was a good kick to begin with- and the mastering house treated it and gave it that extra "punch".

now, if you want to believe that they, all by themselves, just loaded up a kick and mastered it and tweaked it to that degree of perfection, if you want to believe that, ESPECIALLY given their attitude of not spending much time on their beats and wanting to get paid for as little work possible, which isnt the attitude of someone who spends hours upon hours honing the VERY TEDIOUS CRAFT of fine tuning a mix, if you are reluctant to believe otherwise, then ok, fine, believe what you want.

is it possible that they mastered it themselves? yeah, i guess... but not very probable.

i'm done though, you dont want any answer that doesnt say that the heatmakerz tweaked the thing to perfection all by their admittedly lazy selves..... so im not going to bother trying to explain this. you wanted an answer, we gave you the best *most likely* answer, and you rejected it multiple times, so just run with that theory.

and, your last line is exactly what i am trying to tell you. "they dont pick the sample, THEY JUST BRING EM OUT" thats what that kick is, it was brought out better. thats what i am trying to tell you.

Tha1AndOnlyDJT

DJ Will Kill
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 36
Shit, if i want that type of sound, i just rock a syth kick behind my sampled kick. that helps alot. also try using more than one kick. one of my beats had three kicks. when i mixed it in CEP, one kick was filter for highs, one was mids, and one was lows. E-mus Proteus 2000 has some great kicks. if i call it correctly, i believe they use the same rack. i saw it in the backround on a smack DVD.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
You need a console with some descent headroom first...you need space for such bass to take effect. Then it's arranging your mixdown, then eq, then the compression and eventualy mastering via multiband compression. Its not a trick but you need to be blessed with the gear for the most part.

zone

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
it's hilarious that people are so quick to jump up and shout "compression" and "mastering" like it's some kind of magic fairy dust that makes beats hot and banging. give me a fucking break.

members online