the very firs rap song

nas2000xl

The Ripper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
the very first rap song

what was the name of the song/band that actually released the very first rap song, before hiphop itself was born????? do you know???:headbang:

nas2000xl

The Ripper
ill o.g.
i`m talking about in hiphop form. not just lyrics that rhyme in a song.
ya feel me (LOL)

E

Equality 7-2521

"released"?

well Sugar Hill gang was the first to SELL records.....i think....im pretty sure

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
here's what i found:
1979 - The Sugarhill Gang (a pre-fab group assembled by record mogul Sylvia Roberts) records "Rapper's Delight," the first commercial rap record. The Fatback Band hires radio DJ King Tim III to provide a rap for one of their b-sides (controversy continues over which is the "first" rap on record, but neither one reflects the ongoing hip-hop scene on the streets). SJ/HH 1, OSR

nas2000xl

The Ripper
ill o.g.
you are absolutely right wings. the only thing is the fatback band did do theirs first. i can witness to that. King Tim III was released in spring 79 and Rappers Delight was released in the fall of 79. this i know for sure cause my band would imitate the fatback band cause they were a funky band a that time. then when sugar hill records released rappers delight
we went from trying to imitate the fatback band to trying to imitate the sugar hill gang.

ill o.g.
HEELLLLOOOO!!!!!

What about "Planet Rock" from: Afrika Bambataa and Soul Sonic Force? I know about Sugarhill but i thought Planet Rock came out first?

wutever though

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
helix:
1982 - Afrika Bambaataa and the Sould Sonic Force record "Planet Rock," the first big techno-funk hit.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Im gonna be carefull on this one but...
people have mentioned that gill scott-heron was one the first lyricaly coming close as what we know as hiphop.. I only know that his music is chillin and that some of his breaks arent to be fucked with. Like revolution will not be televised. I did sample it though. Couldn't help myself...

T

thumper 7

I disagree`that Sugarhill song is just the first rap song to the mainstream media finally ackowledging rap and at the same time trying to have control by saying the creation date...but that's another thread...anyway

you could say last poets ...

but my money is here...

based on Title and context

Brother Rap by the Godfather of Soul

James Brown
from
Slaughter's Big-Rip Off

KIRK T

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
1972 the jimmy castor bunch, 'hallucinations'. He rhymes in every verse.. & not some last poets or gil scott or james brown shit.. But actually rhymin on beat.. Of course james brown & last poets & gil could also be considered early influences.. But before cold crush & caz & bizzy b & the whole culture developed, jimmy castor dropped actual verses in that song..

T

thumper 7

Originally posted by KIRK T
1972 the jimmy castor bunch, 'hallucinations'. He rhymes in every verse.. & not some last poets or gil scott or james brown shit.. But actually rhymin on beat.. Of course james brown & last poets & gil could also be considered early influences.. But before cold crush & caz & bizzy b & the whole culture developed, jimmy castor dropped actual verses in that song..

Yeah that one...I just disagree...( I wonder why people ALWAYS bring up this song)

also thats why my post states TITLE and CONTEXT...

Also it's weird you disrespect James Brown and honor him in the same post. I find that rather unique.

Being "on beat" isn't the qualification is it ?

I mean we could go back further but that is not needed for this thread.

JB's song fits to the style of rap that was initially used for the first 10 years with subtle changes, through the likes of various artists until LL Cool J then of course Rakim

KIRK T

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I didnt disrespect james brown.. I said he didnt actually rhyme on a beat. Have you heard the song I'm referring to?

Maybe you should peep it. I used to breakdance to jimmy castor bunch. The man rhymes in that song.. James brown wasnt dropping VERSES of rhymes. Cmon now. Peep the song.

& PS: No disrespect to Cool J & Rakim.. But the 1st ten years? Cmon son, cold crush & caz were puttin it down long before either of them.. You aint even referencing pioneers there.. Just some old school artsists by your own standards.

T

thumper 7

I didnt disrespect james brown.. I said he didnt actually rhyme on a beat. Have you heard the song I'm referring to?

Maybe you should peep it. I used to breakdance to jimmy castor bunch. The man rhymes in that song.. James brown wasnt dropping VERSES of rhymes. Cmon now. Peep the song.

& PS: No disrespect to Cool J & Rakim.. But the 1st ten years? Cmon son, cold crush & caz were puttin it down long before either of them.. You aint even referencing pioneers there.. Just some old school artsists by your own standards.

My apologies conversing on the web in not my best skil set.

Yeah I'm familiar with Jimmy Castor and his music and that song...the reason I picked he JB song was because of the CONTEXT (once again) and the TITLE. I also stated I could go back further but there is no need, for the purposes of this discussion.

The Jimmy Castor bunch and his off the wall self may rhyme but does not mold as well into the style of rap that was to develop over the next 10 years. Let me explain that for you since I so obviously am bad at relaying my message to you.

This is meaning the duration of time from 1972-73 to 1982-83. During which time the style of rap delivery which was used by a vast majority of DJ's and MC's did not change much until around the time of LL Cool J and of course Rakim. And that style which was used resembles closer to James Brown's Brother Rap than that of Jimmy Castor's Hallucinations'

(Once again rhyming is not the only thing that makes a rap but, to you I guess it is. But it's not and never has been. However a history lesson on ancient African communications and how they have continued through to modern times is another thread entirely.)

You also say Rakim and LL Cool J are not pioneers. I should just leave it at that. LL Cool J and Rakim are not pioneers. Just some old school artists.

Let me quote you...
No disrespect to Cool J & Rakim.. You aint even referencing pioneers there.. Just some old school artsists by your own standards.

KIRK T

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yes, I did say that. Rakim and Cool J are not pioneers of hip hop. Theyre barely old school to me. In fact, when they came out, they were considered new school.

& I disagree completely... Jimmy castor halucinations is closer to ANY rap song then james brown.. Be it from the 70s or the 90s.. Because he actually rhymes, and its on beat, in verses.. just like a modern hip hop song.

Sure, you can say james brown 'rapped' & it doesnt have to be 'on beat' to be a rap, but cmon, the song MOST comparable to hip hop, that was not hip hop, is hallucinations.

T

thumper 7

Yes, I did say that. Rakim and Cool J are not pioneers of hip hop.

I love realization it's so wonderful. Such a subtle change makes all the difference in the world.

As if one would not notice.

But I klnow that's what you meant from the first place right ? and I just misinterpreted because of my poor web comminication....

This topic is obviously over we agree to disagree...

members online