There seems to be so few drum patterns

beatzbybuddy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Just look at all of Dre's hits... Simple, Kick, Kick, Hard Snare, Kick - - Snare... Barley any hats, its the synths and bass that make up them hits.. A good mind is terrible to waste, meaning be creative and figure out what makes you happy.......

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
beatzbybuddy said:
Just look at all of Dre's hits... Simple, Kick, Kick, Hard Snare, Kick - - Snare... Barley any hats, its the synths and bass that make up them hits.. QUOTE]

NO. that is NOT what makes them hits.

first of all, none of these recent "hits" are dre beats. niether of 50's singles so far, not one of lloyd banks, not one of young bucks, and none of eminems singles were.. the only current radio hit that i can think of is the gwen stefani, rich girl song.

second, songs become "hits" for lots of reasons other then "how" they were produced. if you really think that a synth and a bassline is the reason his songs are hits, then you really have very little understanding of how this works. you are over generalizing to a fault here.

timbaland built his legacy on groundbreaking ideas in hip hop/popular music- i dont care who argues with me, liisten to the first genuine/missy/ second aaliyah albums.... he was the evolution of the whole new jack swing era. the bottom line was, he made songs that were catchy, backed by major label support and promotion- same as dre.

to keep up with the topic at hand, there is no need to reinvent the wheel to be creative. i am using much simpler patterns today and my production is at an all time high. the real truth of the matter is that the drum pattern simply has to ride the music and melt into the bassline- thats the formula for a good drum pattern.

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
this threads title is similar to alot of commercial music it uses shock tactics.... that is a shocking thing to say the basis of most hip hop beats is good drums i count in rhythm how the individual hits 'breathe' in time with the tempo this can make a basic kick hat snare hat etc. keeping time beat sound hot (dre. !! 9th wonder !! pete rock!!).......... and then you have the era of the 'funky drummer' in hip hop (early nineties) when people where doing really tech type beats.... also more abstract beats ala ced gee ultra magnetic.........
but hey lol

bassic

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
LISTEN UP man u need 2 know wot u on about.....u can really do anythin....u can roll ur hihats,add percususion and humanise it u can layer a snare wit a bass drum u can put a mute triangle on a bass drum that starts on the 2ND step.U need to do a lil TRIAL & ERROR..to b honest i think u aint got many drums and u bored but u gotta reconise..FIX UP!!!!!

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
its all about the hats playing of the different drums that makes shit sound differnt, and wierd spacing even smaller than 1/64

problem with "odd" drum patters is that most people are sampling 4/4 loops that have regular patterns in them, which makes it harder to write tunes with these "jazzy" patterns but ^^^ knows hia shit

MaZaMuNe

AKA Westnyle Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 36
theres many Basic drum loops for hip hop but get creative and start dropping you snares and kicks whenever, somtimes i might delay a snare for a note or two and let another kick drop in to give it a different feel, could make the sample sound much better if done correctly...

The Konductor

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
MaZaMuNe said:
theres many Basic drum loops for hip hop but get creative and start dropping you snares and kicks whenever, somtimes i might delay a snare for a note or two and let another kick drop in to give it a different feel, could make the sample sound much better if done correctly...

How do you delay a kick or snare for just a second or two?

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
blitz said:
Oh and Renegade, swing is basically a MIDI quantizing function that instead of matching all the drum hits or notes directly on the 1/16th (or whatever) gridlines, it shifts them around a very slight bit to give it more of a natural feel. I can't think exactly how to do it in any program right now, but most MIDI sequencers like sonar, cubase, logic, protools, etc. will have the option in there somewhere.

What's up with that swing feature on FL? It seems like no matter how far to the right I move it, it doesn't do anything.

J Beatz

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
o-a-ksavage

"What's up with that swing feature on FL? It seems like no matter how far to the right I move it, it doesn't do anything. "

if u do all of ur stuff in the piano roll, then the swing feature won't affect it. the piano roll doesn't get affected by the swing.

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thanks man