thinking about going back to pc after many years of mac usage

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
value.... i could prolly selll my imac and have enough dough to buy a pretty diesel pc.. my imac G5 aint cuttin it with some of the heavy mixing that im doin right now. and to upgrade to a duo-intel is too much dough .. i luv mac because of the virus-protection and the reliabibilty but bottom line i need more power on less dollar .. i duuno... still comtemplating whether or not to switch over

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
value.... i could prolly selll my imac and have enough dough to buy a pretty diesel pc.. my imac G5 aint cuttin it with some of the heavy mixing that im doin right now. and to upgrade to a duo-intel is too much dough .. i luv mac because of the virus-protection and the reliabibilty but bottom line i need more power on less dollar .. i duuno... still comtemplating whether or not to switch over

ud think different if u had that iphone lol

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
You rite not for nothing going the PC route you get way more bang for ur bux... Especially if you build it yourself... You can get a way better PC and build it for the price of a g5 im talking some monster ish...

u right sol i had my pc for 2 years i be doin heavy mixing n saving audio files n all that nonsense n to think i thought about gettin a mac lol

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i dont know man apple is killing the pro audio/video market right now. i would either get a used g5 tower or a used imac (intel duo) on ebay. i know a friend who has a imac intel duo and he can run a ton of stuff on there in logic before hitting the limit. its all about ram.

objektivone

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I had a Mac once (G4) and it was the biggest piece of crap of I ever owned. I used it for music and I had it maxed out and it could not handle the work load. I switched back to PC and everything has been amazing because I built a monster computer for real cheap. I would recommend going to PC.

Mac is losing there ground because they are starting to build there computers just like PCs anyways. Same parts and everytihng, the only thing is that extra $1500 price tag because it is hip. You can run the same programs on PC anyways.

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
The only thing that keeps me on macs is the stability of Mac OS over windows.....Even though i could of gotten a faster comp for the same amout i spent on my powerbook...My shyt rarely crashes and when i go on my cousins who is runnin a pc its a whole different story..and i am sure Vista is twice as bad....on the other side though all the cracks are on PCs and the cheaper factor of course

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Not a thing wrong with that, i have had protools 5-6.4x LE digi 001 running on XP circa 2000..... still have the same digi rig, started out with intel 1.2 Ghz with about gig of ram....up until about 3 years ago, since then i upgraded the processor to intel 2.1 Ghz and new motherboard with 2 gigs of ram.....

I have absolutely no problem mixing, adding inserts, or dumping with protools i usually max out my available audio tracks on a lot of my joints....works fine, my thing is a couple of producers i kick things around with and work with use macs and have been just as long and I have seen for myself, yes a mac is not flawless.....the only problem i had was my drive crashed once, but other than that i dont have any problems.....

prior to that i had echo mia.....and delta 1010....on Windows and never had a problem...its all on using sound gear....XP is very stable if you are not using it to surf and getting spyware or other malware on it......if you do that will effect the performance of the DAW though....(i do everything on mine though and still solid)

As a side note I know one of the part owners of guitar center, and about a year or so ago i went to his house.... he had two g5's but he was using one of them strictly for plugins, he was using digital performer or some other daw i cant remember.....that just goes to show he wasn't able to do everything on 1 machine also but he had a ton of midi stuff connected....

1 last thing, when i create a session there is an option to make the project mac compatible anyhow....so for me there is not a big motivation beyond the masses hyping it and the industry glued to go to mac but i think 6.4 was the last version of protools le supported on Windows for the 001 maybe not the others though like 002 & 003, i think that was a mistake IMO because PC's are far from what they were 5 or 6 years ago in power and capabilities, like i said XP is underrated as far as stability, when you compare look at the ability and range of hardware customization available to do like you said, make a diesel machine....and for far cheaper than upgrading mac gear.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
on second thought i might just keep my mac AND get a pc ..i didnt realixe how inexpensive some of these systems are..... im seeing some crazy ass sytems for CHEAP on ebay ... diesel brand new ones with 3 year warranty on the 500 -800 dollar range ... they have no monitors or os installedbut my girl has a flatscreen and fuck it u can get a 20 inch for pretty cheap anyways. my bro can hook me up with the os disks so thats not a problem either..

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
going back to what ? vista? lol I know its a tuff cookie but its worth to invest or save but definitly dont ditch it. I wonder what you'd have done if you bought a G5 pro instead, no pun here, but i think you'd still be good...dunno for imac.

btw, were running 3 motu 1224's on a G4, that 24 tracks, logic pro 7.2 and works like a charm, whatever goes over the top we freeze the bitch lol

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
yea, windows is notorious for releasing beta versions of their os. i think windows 95 was the beta version of xp or something like that.

either way, another thing about macs that is ill is that you rarely ever need to defragment your hard drive...it constantly does it in the background. on top of that, the software architecture is designed so that it's really hard for the hd to frag anyway.
pc's on the other hand, especially for media editing, get fragmented often, which slows it down.
not really a problem though i guess...if you defrag like every other week or so. sounds like your solution will work.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
crazy thing is i am only running pro tools le .. i can only go upto to 32 tracks anyways lol.. and i dont go crazy with the plugs either im not even usin that many ... so it just really pisses me off that my comp cant handle it sometimes... i have a imacg5 with 1.5 gigs of ram ... u would think i could handle le but it still givs me problems .. shit sucks.. i just wanna be able to mix 32 tracks running about maybe 6-10 plugs per session. IS that too much to ask for? sheesh!!

ps what does freeze mean and can i do it in pro tools le?

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
cosign...since it's a couple versions later after apple bought logic, it's been optimized for macs. freezing a track is basically saving any effects you have on the track into the actual audio. for example if you had a delay plug in or a reverb plugin going (which hog cpu like a mofo), you can freeze the track and temporarily apply the effects to the waveform so it's more like you recorded it that way. this disables the plug in's but lets you mix the stuff while still hearing the effects. i'm not sure if you can do it in pro tools but there's a button on each channel strip in logic.