Thinking of going on the road as a DJ...advice?

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I know there are a few full time DJ's on here so here is the deal.

I may have an opportunity to go out and do a bunch of shows, parties as a DJ and do some work with a band. So I started thinking maybe I could do it full time, I mean I am not a battle DJ or anything but I think a person good make ok money doing 3-4 sets a week. What do you think? What all do you need as far as gear? How do to guys get more gigs etc, and do you think this is a good idea at all? Thanks!

Knox Raw

SCLASS- JUSTPLAINOLEDON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
It could work but, competition is fierce. Alot of the Dj's that are traveling right now are brands and have history. That being said they can go pretty much anywhere and book a gigs and get paid off name alone. Clubs pay these DJs because they attract crowds. How many people can you get to come out and party will determine your earning potential. I know a guy right now that can go to any club in my state and make $1200 to spin for the night. I'm not sure if he can go anywhere else and do that but, thats a pretty good amount of money for a couple hours worth of work. As far as equipment goes you want reliability. A powerful notebook (laptop)a good set of tables (people swear by technic 1200s but I'm partial to Numarks TT series), a decent mixer, and a djing program (Serato or Traktor but, Torq is pretty good too.) The seed money for DJing is pretty high but, get the best shit first so you wont have to upgrade as often. Also don't count out the all in one systems (ie. numark ns7 and V7 setups) shit is pretty dope and it will make your life easier. Trust me

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Some random thoughts on this:

- you either need to be young and partying and have a big group of friends that supports you and goes out to see you
- or, have great marketing and promotions so you play to a packed house

How much money the house is making on admissions and at the bar is usually the most important factor in DJing.

As long as you have the ability to keep people moving and keep the music flowing, you should be fine. I will say that it's harder than it looks, I've been djing for 20 years and see classically trained musicians try to navigate the turntables and they have a lot of trouble. So before you do anything, you should try to get some equipment and get some honest feedback from your friends. maybe make a mixtape or video and post it up.
Learn to blend, learn to eq, learn to do drops, learn to talk on the mic.

Keep in mind there's a lot of people who will do this work for 25% of what you're hoping to make, so whatever you can do to put yourself ahead of the curve will be necessary to make decent cash.

Good luck.

Knox Raw

SCLASS- JUSTPLAINOLEDON
ill o.g.
Crazy, 1200 is dam good.
Yeah and dude works maybe 5 nights a month. There are some drawbacks though. He gigs at some of the grimiest clubs where all the drug dealers and gold diggers are at. So, he could walk out with $1200 and get robbed right up the street because assholes know what he's worth. They ain't gonna test him though, he got his shit together.

Knox Raw

SCLASS- JUSTPLAINOLEDON
ill o.g.
Some random thoughts on this:

- you either need to be young and partying and have a big group of friends that supports you and goes out to see you
- or, have great marketing and promotions so you play to a packed house

How much money the house is making on admissions and at the bar is usually the most important factor in DJing.

As long as you have the ability to keep people moving and keep the music flowing, you should be fine. I will say that it's harder than it looks, I've been djing for 20 years and see classically trained musicians try to navigate the turntables and they have a lot of trouble. So before you do anything, you should try to get some equipment and get some honest feedback from your friends. maybe make a mixtape or video and post it up.
Learn to blend, learn to eq, learn to do drops, learn to talk on the mic.

Keep in mind there's a lot of people who will do this work for 25% of what you're hoping to make, so whatever you can do to put yourself ahead of the curve will be necessary to make decent cash.

Good luck.

You hit the nail on the head. If there are bitches you best believe it's a sucker spending money to get in that fucking club and spend more money. Right off back you got the Door and the Bar to make money off of at a club. Then you got the crews that want you to spin their shit and I hate to say it but,some DJs take dough for that too. But, whatever you do don't get behind those wheel and be WACK because the crowd will let you know you are WACK. It's hard to get rid of that rep too. But, yeah BLENDING,CUTS,DROPS,EQING, and most of all PERSONALITY will help you solidify gigs.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Well a few things give me an advantage.

#1 I am in nebraska so there are not really to many "scratch" dj's. Most just show up with some cd's and a small PA and hit play. I can beat match and have a great feel for getting one song to the next. As well as knowing what the crowd wants.

#2 I would do weddings as well as small club gigs and gigs with a band so thats lots of sources for income.

As far as getting a hold of gear most of you know that is not a big problem :)

I prefer Stanton 120's over every thing actually. I think I can gig 3-4 days a week and make $700-800 per gig, this would be livable.

I am on the path to being a full time musician again and am just figuring out the best way to fill in the gaps.

Yes someday I will incorporate video in to the set but for now I will probably rock Tracktor because it has support for Maschine.

I think for my market if I do ANYTHING more than just push play I can do pretty good for myself.

And I am great at promotion and marketing.

So what else guys?

Knox Raw

SCLASS- JUSTPLAINOLEDON
ill o.g.

#1 I am in nebraska so there are not really to many "scratch" dj's. Most just show up with some cd's and a small PA and hit play. I can beat match and have a great feel for getting one song to the next. As well as knowing what the crowd wants.

#2 I would do weddings as well as small club gigs and gigs with a band so thats lots of sources for income.

As far as getting a hold of gear most of you know that is not a big problem :)

I prefer Stanton 120's over every thing actually. I think I can gig 3-4 days a week and make $700-800 per gig, this would be livable.

I am on the path to being a full time musician again and am just figuring out the best way to fill in the gaps.

Yes someday I will incorporate video in to the set but for now I will probably rock Tracktor because it has support for Maschine.

I think for my market if I do ANYTHING more than just push play I can do pretty good for myself.

And I am great at promotion and marketing.

So what else guys?

You got it covered. Hit em upside the head and get that money my dude.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83

#1 . Most just show up with some cd's and a small PA and hit play. ?

haha im that guy... I dont know why people pay for that , but they do...
With my aquisition of Torq this should make hitting play even easier.

For the record I HAD 2 1200's (well one was mine and one was borrowed) and I used to practice cutting mostly, nothing to the level that youtube vids can now teach you in a day we were still figuring it out back then lol. Point being I wasnt always shitty lol....For the record...
Actually I WOULD spark a debate about wax v cdjs v software but that would be hijacking the thread.

Chris I would listen to Dahk, dude really knows what he is talking about, what ever happened to Kurt Rich??? Did he get arrested for pimpin? ( He always DID say he looked like Tiger Woods...hmm) He is a very good dj, and does some reg stuff in Boston I think.

KUUUUURRRT!!!!

Queenofex

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Non-DJ related jewels but
Looking at it from a opportunist perspective...! Go! Live life on the edge....lol Nah of course plan accordingly, don't doubt the opportunity, set your expectations LOW, and take it as a learning expierence that could possibly align your steps for the full time musician status! Or whatever it is that you want

Never know until you try it, don't live with the WHAT IF

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Sure, I don't think it would hurt to show up and play a few gigs. Worst thing that happens is I get laughed outta there but I seriously doubt that would happen. I would almost like to intern first with someone just to see the whole process you know, how to handle clients how to get clients, how to handle the money and business side etc.

members online