this is what i wanna get so far....

TachyonFresh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
an mpc200xl with maxed out memory and a zip or jaz drive from ebay (these mutherfuckers are being sold surpisingly cheap)
a vestax handytrax turntable

please recommend good synths/midi controllers and whatevers else i need

p.s. what is a compressor? what the fuck is reverb and delay? can i get sample off of the vestax handytrax usuing the mpc?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
p.s. what is a compressor? what the fuck is reverb and delay?

damn you noob hehehe! go search the forum or walk into the musicstore and ask the clerk what a reverb or delay sounds like. You wont ever ask again lol! A compressor creates dynamic responses to form audible pressure to any input signal. All three you mentioned are signal processors.

Before anything,

1. what's your budget ?!
2. when you're in that store spend some serious time playing around on different synths, it's the only way besides jumping on the bandwagon to find what you like.

Good luck

J,

TachyonFresh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Formant024 said:
A compressor creates dynamic responses to form audible pressure to any input signal.

somebody translate please

hey man, thanks for going easy with me cause i know those were hardcore-newbie questions

i have a budget of maybe 1000 dollars - 1200 dollars...and i wasnt gonna buy any of this shit from a store, but rather ebay, hehe

but you've given me a good idea, i definitely should go to guitra center and try out all this shit

ill o.g.
You hafto go to Guitar Center first. You might find something you like.

You have a good budget but i wouldnt waste all my money on Rackmounted sound forming shit (compressors, delays, eq's) instead, just get the basic shit you need (your MPC and handytrax) and just work with that til you decide you need more shit.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
^^^^^well, that still depends on what you're planning to do. The mpc can easily be replaced by those emulator x cards assuming you have a pc which is fairly up to date ( though still very complex, you'll be thrown into the deep abyss of signal routing but a good way to learn basics ), add a korg microkontrol midicontroller ( with 16 drumpads you can assign to the EMUx samplersoftware ) and you're rocking a 24bit/96kHz sampler/workstation compared to the 16bit/44kHz mpc1k/2k/2kxl. It'll get you a bit further anyway, not saying you shouldn't buy the mpc1k, but consider it a luxury item on a $1000 budget.

Handytrax, oke, it's funny and portable but what you need is pick-up with a good needle, who cares what brand, it's for sampling purpose so a $5 Dual occasion with a new needle makes the same result.

That's 300 for the EmulatorX, 350 on the microkontrol and (oke 5 is a bit on the low ) 30 buck for a cheapo pickup and 20 bucks for a new needle.

You'd be left with 500 bucks that you can spend on good monitors as they're the most important item in your little studio.

Another thing is to keep in mind that a lot of hardware needs at least a good 16chnl mixer ( no , behringer is not an option ), you can expect to pay at least 500 to 600 for one. You wont need a mixer in this setup, but if you intend to upgrade to synths etc you can always expand to the EMU breakout box which offers preamp for mic and 8 analog in and out ( and digital ).

Keep in mind that buying one item for your setup could mean adapting your current setup, or in your case, buy gear that can easily integrate together and efficiently.

And again, scope out through the forum, you're not the first.

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
and you also should know what you want to sound like---what i mean is you mentioned that you want synths and an mpc. its dope when people combine the two but a lot of producers either go sample free (synths etc) or sample based (mpc, etc) you may already know this but judging on your reverb and delay questions i figured id say this stuff anyway. ive been a software head for like 3 years and now im adding hardware and i can say that hardware of either kind is worth it. and also, when you buy a piece of production equiptment that is based on sampling, it opens up a whole new element- your sample source. records cost cash and unless you are a dollar bin digger (most are after the first couple times of paying 15 bucks for a record or two on a weekly basis) you will have to come up with some quid to buy records or sample cd's if you want to swing that way.

hope im making sense and i hope im not saying stuff you already know.

good luck

peace

G-French

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I don't know if anyone anwered this part of the question but the handy is cool to sample from. It has an amp built in so you will not need a mixer to sample. The only thing about that is I would save up to get a turntable so you can get so good needles because the handy ones suck. You are going to get alot more hiss and pop from the handy than good needles. You don't even need a good table if you are not going to DJ.

TachyonFresh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thank u all for ur replies

helix, are u sure about the numark being better than the vestax? im not gonna be dj'ing, so i sjut need something to sample records from

ive decided to get an mpc2000xl from ebay

can someone please recommend a good portable synth?

what are some things that i might mosdefinitely need?...can someone recommend good alternative samplers to the mpc2000xl?

ill o.g.
-The PT01 is better then the HandyTrax when you read the specs. But both of them are portable (runs on batteries). If you just need something for home use, i would still suggest the PT01.

-Portable Synth? Korg MicroKorg, but i really dont think you need a portable synth. Try to just start out with the MPC then see what you want after you got it.

-Youll definitely need speakers. You dont need a certain kind until your mixing. But any speakers will work.

-You said alternative samplers. Did you mean alternative workstations? Cuz the MPC is a sequencer and a whole lot of other shit too.

TachyonFresh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yes yes, workstaions sir

would i be able to sorta mimic a workstaion by getting me an akai s2000 (or another joint tahts similar) and getting that microkorg joint? i jsut want shit to be protable thats all

ill o.g.
The S2000 is only a sampler. Your gonna need a sequencer. If you can find an external sequencer and a synth youll be all set.

Its hard to explain but you need:
-Sampler
-Synth (you said you wanted one but i dont really use those)
-Sequencer
-MIDI Controller (MPD16 or Oxygen8 or MicroKontrol or whatever you want (i prefer MPD))

Feel free to ask questions cuz this was kinda hard for me to figure out at first too.

The sequencer is what gets all your instruments on different tracks and puts them in order and all that. If you dont have a sequencer you can only play shit live.
Im havin trouble understandin what kinda portableness you need and if you need a sequencer or what your doing with this equipment.

TachyonFresh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i jsut want something protable (dont gotta carry it in my hands but possibly could throw in a large bag or some shit) that does it all, sorta like the mpc2000xl....but the only reason im asking for some other recommendations is becuase i heard the sample editing features on the 2000xl isnt really all that....and ive gotten used to working on acid pro, where the editing and shit is just limitless....is there some srota external device i can get with the 2000xl that has advanced editing features?

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Man u want something portable. Get a laptop (mac or pc. I'm a pc man but mac might be better for this.) And reason 2.5 and a midi comtroler like the korg microkontrol ( which has 16 slightly smaller pads than mpc and also 37 mini keys, which u can switch octave) or the Mpd 16 controler which is 16 full size mpc pads.

Reason 2.5 is a program with a rack of virtual drum machines, synths, smaplers etc, also has effects , processors, and a sequencer.

That combined with the midi controler and a program called recycle is a powerfull portable music production set up. And yeah take it from a dj the numark pt01 is better than the vestax handy trax. Neither 1 is for dj use tho . There for u to preview records portably like when u go record huntin @ flea markets and such.

Reason 2.5 = $300 I believe
Korg microkontrol= $300 new (ptice aint goin down yet)
Or
MPD $250 I believe. But peeple are sellin em used for waaaaay cheap.

If u got a laptop already then ur set.

Or if u don't. Take like $800 of ur budget and get a half decent laptop from ebay or something. Then "Get" a copie of reason and recycle. And 300 for the controler. Ur set.

Later on add more memory and a bigger external hard drive.

TachyonFresh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
damn...that laptop joint sounds real nice fantom.....but for some reason, i dont know why i still fucking want a mpc-like workstation

i think im jsut gonna jack a roland mv-8000