This really pisses me off...

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 110
So I posted a thread on another forum about a collab with an emcee, and the dude that replied is the one I sent the beat to. That was about mid February. I'm still fucking waiting on a track from him, so I asked him if he's done shit yet and he said he won't until the end of March. It pisses me off, I gave him a beat for free and he goes and fucks about with it. I need to start working with people who actually take this shit seriously if I want to get more exposure.

Just a rant...

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Welcome to the world of beat hustling, lol.
Its def way worse when your dealing with complete strangers on the internet. This does work out sometimes but for the majority your beat is a dime a dozen to most internet mc's and they treat it just like that. Protect your music man. I mean, its good to try and see how things might work over your beats when your just first starting out but for the most part its more beneficial to YOU if you collaborate with cats that are local in your community first IMO.
Build some engineering and recording skills along the way and make connections with people through networking. Once you start to build a network, people will begin coming to you, not the other way around...and as time progresses the clientele improves just as you do. I say this from personal experience.

If you do get down on a collab via the internet though its better to utilize a place like iLL instead since theres already a bit of trust established amongst you and other members here.
Tap into the resource here first dude. At least you have a slightly better level of trust ya know?

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
*feels guilty***
LOL. That sucks man, I still got that one beat you gave me..lol. I haven't made ANY music as of late though, soooo I think i'm on that boat with a couple other people here.

It takes time though, you should just forget him and go about your music, he'll eventually finish it and if he doesn't then just don't give him anymore beats until he does.

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
*feels guilty***
LOL. That sucks man, I still got that one beat you gave me..lol. I haven't made ANY music as of late though, soooo I think i'm on that boat with a couple other people here.

It takes time though, you should just forget him and go about your music, he'll eventually finish it and if he doesn't then just don't give him anymore beats until he does.

Lol, I forgot about that. I don't care about that dude, I'm not really feeling that beat too much now anyway, I think I've improved alot since I sent you that. Plus, you're cool, this other dude just pisses me off.

Thanks for the advice peoples, and Steez, I don't have anybody round near me that rhymes, I'm gonna have to start branching out into the nearest cities and shit.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Dam, well you gotta get out then and grind if your really serious.
I linked up with a handful of the people i work with by going to bars and seeing shows of local talent.
At the end of the show if i liked them i would hit em up, have a beer, talk shop, give em my card and tell em we should work together. Just gotta get out there and interface with people. Shows are a great place.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Yea man I know how you feel, I can relate on both sides, as I have gotten beats from people on ill (ash, vice, . . .) and never got around to doing them. Now I wasn't dickin' around with them, I just moved halfway across the country and just recently got myself situated lmao. So yea its an interesting thing working on the net, but when it happens its a glorious occasion.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
It definitely takes effort. I didnt realize this when I first started. I thought i could be lazy and just use the internet. I think you gain way better experiences and skills that you cant learn otherwise though by doin your own thing and really getting out there in your community. Thats the original way anyways, ya know.

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
Dam, well you gotta get out then and grind if your really serious.
I linked up with a handful of the people i work with by going to bars and seeing shows of local talent.
At the end of the show if i liked them i would hit em up, have a beer, talk shop, give em my card and tell em we should work together. Just gotta get out there and interface with people. Shows are a great place.

That's a good idea, I'll have to build up a catalogue and see what shows are on.

I think I'm gonna start spitting again soon anyway, I'll see how I feel.

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
also you gotta keep in mind that in the industry, things rarely go quickly. I was involved in a song that came out on a video game recently, and the artist got the beat in like '06 or '07. not saying it always takes that long but it usually takes a minute for business to happen, not to mention the artistic side of it.

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
also you gotta keep in mind that in the industry, things rarely go quickly. I was involved in a song that came out on a video game recently, and the artist got the beat in like '06 or '07. not saying it always takes that long but it usually takes a minute for business to happen, not to mention the artistic side of it.

Damn, that's a long ass time to wait.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Nah dude it does take mad long sometimes. Im just startin to get shine finally cuz I eventually started to see a clear path to what I need to do to correctly promote my music to the right peoples. Kinda just the way it works for a lot of people in the rap game.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
just give it to someone who will. if theyre real with it, they'll understand.
Real talk. You learn this from experience fa sho. You'll learn that you need to start changing your standards to weed out the people who really arent 100% about their shit, and trust me theirs a grip out there. Thats why i recommend doin the local level thing cuz you tend to meet more people who really are serious that way.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
when ur feelin dicked just move on with the beat... u hafta set urself a deadline for how long a person can prepare or finish a song... after that, its like this: "waddum fam... yo, did u finish that song yet? oh you didnt? nah its cool... someone else heard the beat and theyre payin to use it now anyway... but i got some other beats if u wanna check em, aight? aight peace." worx every time...lol

da relic

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
Yep, a place called Oakham. Most the town's rich old people who don't give a fuck about you if you ain't got money. It's all countryside and shit round here too, there's no (good) shops for about 30 miles, and the nearest music city I can think of is about a 2 hour drive away.
Well you should have the young cats on lock with your music...its gotta be some cats in your area that share simuliar interest in music. Start providing some hip hop entertainment in your area to that target audience my dude. I guess its easier said then done though.