this sucks! should i do it anyways?

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
well i was searching through the entire marvin gaye catalog ( i have raphsody and access to a massive amount of music for free) and found an ill sample to use ubt it sounded real familiar and then i realized it was the same sample 9th wonder used for the "thugs mansion" remix.

its such a dope sample, and i want to use other parts of it as well but the main riff i want is the "oooohhhhhhhhh" part from the beginning.

so what do you guys think, should i do it anyways? or should i pass it up?

M

MIKELABZ

I HEARD THAT AS LONG AS YOU DO 5 THINGS TO CHANGE THE SAMPLE THEY CANT HOLD YOU FROM USING IT AGAIN.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
huh? i'm lost... who cant hold me? the label? or 9th wonder? and what are these five things?

i really wasnt thinking in legal terms.... just..... it was used recently and i dont exactly want to come off as a biter, so i was wondering, what do yall think of that?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Word just do it, I sampled the drumroll ( which pretty much the only useable drums in it ) from trouble man at the beginning, nobody recognises it anyway. I also sample a lot like that, certainly do it, just be original in terms of use. Good samples from known artist will be commonly used or have been used already but as far as blaxploitation material goes there's endless sampling material.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
Fuck that. Once I know a sample has been used already I stop dead in my tracks. That's just me though. You do you.

eka

Mad samplist productions
ill o.g.
I would use it.
I once made a track with a sample of the incredible bongo band wich premier used for grouphome.
everybody told me I flipped it better so...... go for it.

DJ Reflex

Turntablist, Producer
ill o.g.
Yeah man go for it! what stuff of marvin's isnt used know wot i mean? incredible bongo band has been used more time than anyone cud imagine starting way back with Grandmaster Flash the DJ shadow! Look at Juicy Fruit, its been used hundreds of times, hell! BIG never did a dang thing to it! all he did was use the instrumental and spit on it and its one of the dopest tracks of all time! Go for it!

M

MIKELABZ

WELL IF YOU WERE THINK ON LEGAL TERMS REFER TO MY LAST POST. IF YOU WERE THINKING ON PERSONAL TERMS. I SAY GO AHEAD AND DO A NEW BEAT IT WONT HURT. IT'LL BE A LEARNING EXPERIENCE AND THEN AFTER YOUR DONE YOU WILL HAVE A TRACK TO COMPARE IT AGAINST.

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
Just use it, this is hiphop, fuck everybody, it's you and what you want to do.. i dont see mcs makin a new alphabet so why shouldnt you use what you want.

M

MIKELABZ

Originally posted by Streetwize
do it man

and no @ the change 5 times thing

horribly wrong

lol

WELL IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT. AFTER U CHANGE A SAMPLE 5 TIMES IT BECOMES UNRECOGNIZABLE IF: YOU FLIP IT, YOU CHOP IT, YOU CUT FREQUENCIES, YOU ADD REVERB, YOU OVERLAP IT.

SO IN THEORY IT IS CORRECT.

members online