Thoughts on mpc compression?

Peace!
What up beat makers, so lately I been thinking of utilising the compressor in my MPC2500 for processing post production of a beat. I use Ableton and Maschine to make music but I love the mpc so couldn’t never part with it so been thinking of ways to still use it!
Anyone have any thoughts if it has a particular sound rather than using some in the box compressor? Or not worth the time?

Lemme know thoughts!

Peace!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Peace!
What up beat makers, so lately I been thinking of utilising the compressor in my MPC2500 for processing post production of a beat. I use Ableton and Maschine to make music but I love the mpc so couldn’t never part with it so been thinking of ways to still use it!
Anyone have any thoughts if it has a particular sound rather than using some in the box compressor? Or not worth the time?

Lemme know thoughts!

Peace!
So you make all your beats in Ableton and Maschine and not the MPC?

The effects on the 2500 are pretty good but since I always track out to my DAW, I just use those effects rather than the MPC since it's set and if I wanted to change it then I'd have to track out again. I think it's good to use if you're doing everything in the MPC or especially if you're playing live, but software effects are much more versatile.

Yeah man, ive used the MPC soley in the past only because I love the unit but I use Ableton and Maschine because its way quicker to bang out ideas. I mainly use to use the MPC to sequence hardware but ive steered away from that.

Fair enough, Im hearing what your sayin about the versatility of software effects..

Ive never owned an MPC so cant vouch for the compressor, but there are very good software compressors available today, I would pack that MPC away and keep it in the best possible condition. The MPC is a part of hip hop history and personally Id try not to wear it out.That thing could be worth an absolute fortune in a decade or two

Bino5150

~Mo Thugs~
The MPC has a pretty distinct sound, for a combination of reasons, one of which being the compressor. It's not a great compressor, but it's very musical and usable, and it has a sound that many are familiar with and appreciate. However, the compressor is just one piece of the MPC sound and character. It's analog ins and outs, the way in internanally processes and manipulates the samples, and the A/D D/A converters are more responsible for the MPC "sound" and color.

Something to think about as well, is that the MPC compressor isn't really an actual hardware compressor at all; it's basically a plugin/software compressor, similar to what you'd use in your DAW. The MPC is basically a DAW in a box, as far as that goes. You'd be doing a whole lot of extra work for basically nothing, and killing your workflow. If you want that MPC sound, dust it off and start banging the pads.

FYI: you can use that 2500 as a MIDI controller for your DAW.

members online