Timbaland REVEALS MAJOR Industry Platform

• beat this! voting starts in...
The modern music business imo isnt necessarily making the music, its providing the tools for those that do. Like Timbaland is doing, like Dre did with Beats headphones.
I think the real money is in making things like plugins, DAW's, mic's, audio interfaces, studio monitors.
Now we have all been sold the dream that we can all be rich and famous, and so many chase that narrow path, the real money is in the exploitation of those chasing the dream.
The biggest hurdle Ive had with self promotion and paying for promotion is that the market is full of sharks selling plays that arent organic using warehouses of phones to generate false plays.
My integrity means a lot to me, I would also hope that an advertising campaign would have been targetted to a narrow demographic more likely to have an interest in my style of music, but instead I keep getting fake plays, nothing organic, no feedback, likes or anything to indicate real plays, this also makes me look like a fraud. So I only ever did it a couple times, the second time it was advertised as organic, it wasnt.

Rights Granted to Us by You. By providing us with your Beats and/or making your Beats available through the Site , you grant to Beatclub a worldwide, unrestricted, assignable, sublicenseable, revocable, royalty-free license (or, if not permitted under applicable law, a license for the whole duration, including for any extension thereof, of all relevant rights under any applicable law) to use, copy, modify, create derivative works based upon, publicly display, publish, publicly perform, market, promote, distribute or otherwise make available such Beats, in whole or in part, in any form, media or technology, whether known or hereafter developed, alone or as part of other works, with no payment or other compensation to you, for the purposes of: (i) facilitating the sale/licensing of your Beats through our Site, including, but not limited to the copying, distribution and creating of low quality versions of your Beats ("Sample Beats") that Beatclub will make available for download by other users of our Site; (ii) allowing your Beats to be played and listened to by other users who are browsing Beats on our Site; (iii) allowing for the download and distribution of Beats that are part of a transaction where you sell and/or license a Beat to other users of our Site; and (iv) to satisfy any law, regulation, or government request.

SO IN OTHER WORDS... by uploading your beats to their site they have the right to change and/or alter your beat, resell or use it in any way they want including putting it on their monetized platforms and NOT HAVE TO PAY YOU A DIME well fuck SIGN ME UP!!!
OK, ill be giving it a miss

I had a website many years ago, was getting around 100 plays a day, and another 100 a day on myspace. Then myspace died, and all the work I put into selling myself ended up being a waste of time. Went through a bad time, lost my job, my computer packed up, car packed up, couldnt afford to keep the website going, got stuck in a rut musically. Quit making music for 7 years. Its only really since I had my heart attack and realised all the work would have just died with me on my hard disk and it would have all been for nothing. So I got right back on it, came back and started winning quite a few battles here and just keep improving all the time, and putting my music online to at least be heard. I decided to just make the music I wanted to make, not for any artists, I have hundreds of beats for artists with no artists. So I decided to just make beats that stand up on their own.
And here I am.
I have plans to get my website back up, been getting my hardware sorted first, I learned to mix so I wouldnt have to pay somebody a fortune to do it, so I can do the best quality mixes I can myself.
There are lots of things I have learned that have nothing to do with music, but to support my music.
I learned HTML, PHP, MYSQL, CSS, Flash, to build my website.
I learned how to build a partition wall, then did it, plastered a wall for the first time lol. Did a lot of work at the studio I have never done before, just to get it done.

But yeah man, my biggest hurdle is and always will be the promo. I get myself kicked off social media for wrongthink. But I need to keep my mouth shut and just utilise social media for business. Its what all the kids are using these days, instagram.
A lot of the times I know what I should be doing, but getting it done is another matter. Between work, music, programming and studio, I have limited time to work with. I need to regiment my time a little bit better and put time aside purely for business.

and back to FB lets say your in a facebook group(and i HIGHLY encourage to stay AWAY from them) the ONLY people who are gonna see what you post are people in the group. now heres the HUGE problem with that. say you join a producers group, whos missing? FANS!! your a producer pushing music in a GROUP FULL OF PRODUCERS PUSHING MUSIC, do you see the logic in that? thats like a lawyer looking for work in a room full of lawyers. you NEED to be where the FANS are, this is why i ALWAYS suggest websites, blogs and internet/college radio. this is why i do the deep dive on my paid ads. even on a budget of $2-$3 a day for 30 days if i get a few new fans its worth it, cause these are REAL fans, and for me this is about the LONG game. i dont do promo so i can get 100 fans this week to listen to my new shit. im trying to get those 10 LOYAL fans that will buy my merch and stream my back catalog....
college radio isnt an avenue Id considered before, but its a really good one. We had an internet radio station at the studio for a bit, but its another matter of the time it consumed. Getting some connections in the college radio game sounds like a really good idea though to get stuff in rotation, especially with the kids we have at the studio, the college kids will love that shit.

We often have producers coming here at ill to sell beats to us. I use the metaphor "its like trying to sell snow to an eskimo"

and at the end of the day if your business is correct, you wont have to worry about "selling" beats. to be honest i probably make more money some months just from other stuff than direct beat sales. the other stuff includes Royalties (im with BMI) Sync, (i have 4 tv and 1 movie placement) website Ad revenue( i get ad revenue from Google and i have 3 people who pay to advertise on my site) Streaming (including Youtube) on a GOOD month without merch i could probably pull in 2500-3000 without selling one beat. and to be honest i dont even chase down artists anymore. i make my beats and put them in my store on my site and at the same time they go up on streaming, so if they dont sell i can still earn, and the best thing is the more beats i put up, the bigger my catalog gets, so when i do get a new fan that want to stream my music they have more to go through.. they always say the sign of a good business s when you can make money when you sleep, i dont make a lot, but i sleep pretty well.lol
How did you go about getting your sync placements? When I looked into it years ago they were telling me they needed university graduates. I dont chase artists anymore, or plan on selling beats unless its for at least $5000 for an exclusive composed piece.
I have planned on releasing ep's, getting them on spotify, remaking the website and building up again from scratch and keep increasing the revenue stream potential. I lost a lot of connections when I stopped for 7 years.
I would love to make £2,000 to £3,000 a month from my music, I get £2,000 a month breaking my back delivering sofas.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
God damn @Dj Iceman you're doing it big in your own way. My kind of person.

A few of my placements i got from building good relationships. my first placements were for a show called "Rap Music Inc" on the Aspire network. and the guy who created the show was a dj buddy of mine. my movie placement i got through my Wu-Tang connects. my boy Dj Flipcyde recommended me to score a movie and it just so happened that the movie was being directed by Lin Que (if you dont know she was an emcee back in the day with X-clan she was known as Isis, and then she went solo, she got tired of the music industry and decided to go to film school and become a director) and aside from the hip-hop connection, we actually have the same alma matter (NYU) one of my placements is the main Youtube theme for the streeballer Bone Collector, i just reached out and asked for that one. and 2 of my other tv placements i got through my agency MTAC Talent and Branding ( https://mtacbranding.com/) i also have a couple of podcast placements. its all about networking. cause to be honest im a member of 4 different sound/sync libraries and i havent gotten anything from ANY of them. the BIGGEST thing i will tell you to do is build your catalog, build your resume, PROMO, PROMO, PROMO. a lot of times people will google you to see what will come up, and let me tell you the more press, the better. i tell my masterclass students all the time "the 2 questions people will always ask you in this business is who are you and what have you done, and you better make sure your resume can answer both"
Yeah, Im always telling people that networking is the most important thing. Its how Ive gotten my best opportunities. Just by reaching out and being humble and being respectful and speaking person to person. While it would be nice if we all could do it all, we just cant, life and the number of hours in the day has its limits. Its not necessarily what you know but who you know, with a small team of good dedicated people all pulling in the same direction, its far more likely to be successful than one person alone. Every person brings experience and skills in different categories that can be utilised to help the collective. Ive tried saying that here for years, but its hard to get everybody moving in the same direction.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Rights Granted to Us by You. By providing us with your Beats and/or making your Beats available through the Site , you grant to Beatclub a worldwide, unrestricted, assignable, sublicenseable, revocable, royalty-free license (or, if not permitted under applicable law, a license for the whole duration, including for any extension thereof, of all relevant rights under any applicable law) to use, copy, modify, create derivative works based upon, publicly display, publish, publicly perform, market, promote, distribute or otherwise make available such Beats, in whole or in part, in any form, media or technology, whether known or hereafter developed, alone or as part of other works, with no payment or other compensation to you, for the purposes of: (i) facilitating the sale/licensing of your Beats through our Site, including, but not limited to the copying, distribution and creating of low quality versions of your Beats ("Sample Beats") that Beatclub will make available for download by other users of our Site; (ii) allowing your Beats to be played and listened to by other users who are browsing Beats on our Site; (iii) allowing for the download and distribution of Beats that are part of a transaction where you sell and/or license a Beat to other users of our Site; and (iv) to satisfy any law, regulation, or government request.

SO IN OTHER WORDS... by uploading your beats to their site they have the right to change and/or alter your beat, resell or use it in any way they want including putting it on their monetized platforms and NOT HAVE TO PAY YOU A DIME well fuck SIGN ME UP!!!
Isn't this pretty much identical to SoundCloud and YouTube anyway??

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Re: BMI @Dj Iceman be sure to sub to this young lady on YT

EsquireMusic111

Head of Production/Trilogy Sound Studios
Battle Points: 122
and THIS is why i say OWN AND CONTROL YOUR PLATFORM..
That's a fact bro. So many of the producers that are signing up via the platform are going at it with hopes of landing placements or in having the opportunity to work with artist. It seems like a cash grab to take advantage of these younger cats trying to be heard.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Re: Business @Dj Iceman "teach the artist to become empowered, to protect themselves, and to have long careers." Spencer Boyer, Howard U law professor whom entertainment attorney James L. Walker learned from.