Timbaland steals from Finnish artist?

• beat this! voting starts in...

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
I CAN! :laugh:

Hmm, personally (& humbly said) I DO NOT appreciate his "art" at all. Just my 5 cents though... I wouldn't call his craft "original".

i have to boldy disagree here .. no one does what tim does... his beats are very original ... he get his influence from diifrent sources ... and he has changed his sound a couple times with much success... some producers go their entire careers and never change there sound or expand their horizons but timbo is always pushing the threshhold... timbo is one of the producers that brings other forms of music to hip hop besides the same ol soul and jazz influences ... he went from jodeci slow jams to alliyah style stutter step beat to that middle eastern shit to a hard club sound and now he on some house/trance hip hop fusion type shit ... truth be told no idea is original .. but hes not recycling the same ol beats either .. if hes not original who is? ... well obviously there is a ton of underground producers who make original stuff but it isnt universal like his .. his stuff is real diffrent sounding yet its on the pop charts... anyone can be diffrent if they have a small fanbase or have a low demand for their production .. but to be in high demand like he is and still come with sum off the wall shit like he does i gotta respect him...

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah i agree with ash on this one. i think its very easy to take tim's production for granted nowadays for a big reason- he's so defined the sound of hip hop and r&b (not to mention maybe been the most important person in the blending of those two genres from an instrumental point of view) that it may not sound original anymore, because its been imitated and duplicated by so many people. when tim first came out, for people who were into r&b, how many producers did you hear straight up jacking his syncopation? how many producers completely changed their sound to his heavily gated snare right after he dropped ginuwine's first album? as part of my production work this year i'm basically trying to learn from the biggest people in the game, going back and getting their entire catalogs, really studying their stuff, you know? tim is the dude i'm listening to a lot right now and i mean straight up, this guy, at least on the mainstream level, changed the way a lot of producers and listeners thought about rhythm. i'm not saying nobody did syncopation before he dropped, but tim really did change the game when he came out in 95. not to mention, if you're a producer who can effortlessly do the two-three biggest pop singles of the year and still do the most in-demand rap beats around, you're doing something right. i'm not trying to tell anyone who to like, thats personal, im just saying, if you argue tim isnt original, i'd be interested to know who is..

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
im just saying, if you argue tim isnt original, i'd be interested to know who is..

My dear friend, I can truly name many names whom I'd consider ORIGINAL. But let's narrow the list to our beloved IllMuzik members: Rigor, Andreas, Agent Smith, Mercury Waters, Formant, Abb-D, Lex, Stress, Relic, Chrono, Duece & Freakwncy got some very original ideas, DJ Hoppa (of course) and a few others (Sorry in advance, I might have forgotten a few and some I haven't heard) :)

Well, you know, it's all down to personal opinion and interpretation.

I respect each and every opinion, so one love ;)

Yours Truly,
Wings

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
My dear friend, I can truly name many names whom I'd consider ORIGINAL. But let's narrow the list to our beloved IllMuzik members: Rigor, Andreas, Agent Smith, Mercury Waters, Formant, Abb-D, Lex, Stress, Relic, Chrono, Duece & Freakwncy got some very original ideas, DJ Hoppa (of course) and a few others (Sorry in advance, I might have forgotten a few and some I haven't heard) :)

Well, you know, it's all down to personal opinion and interpretation.

I respect each and every opinion, so one love ;)

Yours Truly,
Wings

yeah you forgot me! just kidding...no i agree its all personal, to each his own.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Yeah Im a little biased when it comes to artists and producers now that Ive been addicted to this site for a year(HAPPY BDAY TO ME)!
I really REALLY prefer to listen to underground artists on the net for influence since they phazed the record stores out.
The only problem I see here With Timbo is that it aint like the company didnt have the money to clear the thing with the guy who made the track..
Thats just dumb to not when you already BEEN in this game for as long as "They" have.
I dont fault TImbo for jackin the shit , I blame the record company for not callin the Harry Fox Agency and gettin the thing cleared...Assuming that Tim told them the deal...If he didnt thats just dumb.
I dont know Timbaland but I know yall (in a way lol) so I actually listen to folks here more than I do Timb who I still respect cuz hes higher on the food chain than I am.

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
I think the real crime here is that the song is horrible.
hahah word couldnt agree more,
and besides stealing is an art too, and he aint that good at it.

lilhatedon

none of Y.G.D.B
ill o.g.
my thing is what was original about this trackat least try and change i up i mean any body could do what he did if it was an up an comer then what? the dude ain't tryin to sue he seems to be deadin it so its a done deal. Like i said b4 he won't be 1st or the last but lets hope peeps don't do the same thing he and others did. Why should timbo care this ain't losin him money

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
i remember this happen with get your freak on....I think dude is named rob dank who did the original meoldy,,,sayin that he eventully stop complainin i assumein he got paid under the table and i'm sure this person will too.....doesnt stop timbo from being the king

timbo?..the king??? nigga u sick

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Wow, I really feel the hate here because, see Timbaland did start a whole new sound when everyone was still stuck in boom bap and gangsta rap after a long period...1 (no disrespect but you have to be old enough to appreciate when that shit dropped and I mean have been old enuff to appreciate the music coming out when Timbaland really started growing as a producer and not comparing what was just recently aqcuired for reference after having jumped on the bandwagon of hip hop music and started reading up on what hip hop is or was in the last few years or really since illmuzik came online, he put out original ish then and now, and for that time he got his notariety....it was VERY different, drums and everything, the compression and no not some cat he supposedly stole drums from either LOL , he was a MAjor influence as we all should know on the NEPTUnEs who were huge, he had major connects and influence from Teddy Riley, I mean I wont say he is the best but there is no way in all honesty I could say Timbalands sounds and concepts werent original and oh yeah he had all of the loops and beats he put down long before some Drum and Bass hit the scene along with that Trance era and before fruity loops and internet beat contests to jack as what has been alleged LOL, actually I think the drum and bass derived from poor souls attempting to use some loops to make hip hop and it did not come out the way they expected for lack of any soul or rhythm lOL...anyhow lets keep it real on the comments tho....he is one of THE most original producers compared to all of the soundalikes out today that really went back to bite the old skool who really were the originators....
Someone that is original really needs no template and can cut completely against the grain when many look and say what is that? .... ioun know the criteria but I think Timbo has got to be considered very original, as I said compared to the types of music and sounds out at the time he came on the scene...I would also say one of the most versatile also.

o·rig·i·nal
adj.
Preceding all others in time; first.

Not derived from something else; fresh and unusual: an original play, not an adaptation.
Showing a marked departure from previous practice; new: a truly original approach. See synonyms at new.
Productive of new things or new ideas; inventive: an original mind.
Being the source from which a copy, reproduction, or translation is made.
n.
A first form from which other forms are made or developed: Later models of the car retained many features of the original.

An authentic work of art: bought an original, not a print.
Work that has been composed firsthand: kept the original but sent a photocopy to his publisher.
A person who is appealingly odd or curious; a character.
Archaic. The source from which something arises; an originator.

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
I agree with Big D, Timberland makes some oddball shit sometimes but it sounds dope and is pretty damn catchy.....Just look at alot of the stuff he did for Genuine, that beat for "the bachelor" is very unique...............alotta the shit he did for genuine was dope as hell, regardless if you love him or hate him, he always comes through with mega hits......
I say he's one of the best out there...........

A B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
the problem is the lack of credit ... as far as jacking beats it happens all the time ...tons of producers remake/replay stuff inlcuding your favorite one .. that dosent suprise me.. but when u do that especially on a major label like tim is u have to give credit ... thats the issue .. not that he took the beat .. dre,tim,.. have all taken beats beats and replayed them or sampled them before but in this case no credit was given .. who knows it might not even be tims fault someone is his camp might have messed up on paperwork or miscommunicated something ... this type of stuff happens all of the time but now that the allmighty timbo is caught all of a sudden its a big deal and timbo is wack now lol ....... please...give urselves a break from the hate...... how many producers in here have cleared there samples? ...

Exactly the real issue is sample clearance, people seem to be acting like someone played a beat to Tim and he just took it and sold it as his own. The only question this should raise is if the guy clears his samples or not.

I think the real crime here is that the song is horrible.

lol

lilhatedon

none of Y.G.D.B
ill o.g.
i dunno about that hate shit i ain't heard know one say nutting bad about what he did in the past boom bap still exist and that gansta shit is still very much alive but my thing is if he has done all this ground breakin stuff why the fuck would he be caught up in this i mean it ain't like he just got on thats odd to me but i guess a lil controversy helps in the music biz still don't see why he needs it

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
Wow, I really feel the hate here because, see Timbaland did start a whole new sound when everyone was still stuck in boom bap and gangsta rap after a long period...1 (no disrespect but you have to be old enough to appreciate when that shit dropped and I mean have been old enuff to appreciate the music coming out when Timbaland really started growing as a producer and not comparing what was just recently aqcuired for reference after having jumped on the bandwagon of hip hop music and started reading up on what hip hop is or was in the last few years or really since illmuzik came online, he put out original ish then and now, and for that time he got his notariety....it was VERY different, drums and everything, the compression and no not some cat he supposedly stole drums from either LOL , he was a MAjor influence as we all should know on the NEPTUnEs who were huge, he had major connects and influence from Teddy Riley, I mean I wont say he is the best but there is no way in all honesty I could say Timbalands sounds and concepts werent original and oh yeah he had all of the loops and beats he put down long before some Drum and Bass hit the scene along with that Trance era and before fruity loops and internet beat contests to jack as what has been alleged LOL, actually I think the drum and bass derived from poor souls attempting to use some loops to make hip hop and it did not come out the way they expected for lack of any soul or rhythm lOL...anyhow lets keep it real on the comments tho....he is one of THE most original producers compared to all of the soundalikes out today that really went back to bite the old skool who really were the originators....
Someone that is original really needs no template and can cut completely against the grain when many look and say what is that? .... ioun know the criteria but I think Timbo has got to be considered very original, as I said compared to the types of music and sounds out at the time he came on the scene...I would also say one of the most versatile also.

o·rig·i·nal
adj.
Preceding all others in time; first.

Not derived from something else; fresh and unusual: an original play, not an adaptation.
Showing a marked departure from previous practice; new: a truly original approach. See synonyms at new.
Productive of new things or new ideas; inventive: an original mind.
Being the source from which a copy, reproduction, or translation is made.
n.
A first form from which other forms are made or developed: Later models of the car retained many features of the original.

An authentic work of art: bought an original, not a print.
Work that has been composed firsthand: kept the original but sent a photocopy to his publisher.
A person who is appealingly odd or curious; a character.
Archaic. The source from which something arises; an originator.

thank you d .... thats what i was tryin to say ... anybody that can put a crying baby and a godzilla growl in an r&b song and still have it top the charts (ginuwine) is pretty original... plus the way he makes use of his mouth and the vocoder... thats crazy .. the drums and percussion to cry me a river was basically tim beat boxing, not liking his music is one thing but its hard to support the argument that dude isnt original

Da IllFellaz

Knee Deep In Da Beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 125
da man is a genius if you ask me. he makes hit records, not jus beats. anyone can make a beat, but not everyone can make a hit record. big d said it best when he defined the word original. the man stays reinventing himself. no one can deny him of his spot as one of the best judging by his influences in R&B, Hip Hop, and even Pop. Brilliant!!!

nomezzy

members online