Time coded vinyl - Serato/Traktor - in production.

OriginalNoGuru

Struggles of Dad - by OldBones - due Dec 2016
I'd need to get a few things (a better turntable, DJ-mixer, either Serato or Traktor and a timecode vinyl) first but I've been wondering about the possibilities of being able to scratch my own tracks into my own tracks and back into my DAW...

Any of you do this?
What's the process?

My turntable at present is frankly shit. Just enough to get vinyl samples into Maschine via my audio interface (which I'll be replacing before any of this happens - just planning ahead) and I'll need to learn some basic scratch techniques before I even attempt it.

At the moment I use Maschine (V2-MkII) Studio-One & Cubase...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Welcome to the wonderful world of time code vinyl....

Ok well what I have is Traktor Scratch Pro. When I bought it, it comes with the software and the Audio 8 DJ USB soundcard. So the new version I don't know exactly what soundcard it has, but it could be the same. Basically, they give you everything you need.

There's different ways you can scratch over your beats and into your DAW. I usually have my beat loaded up in Cakewalk and just record my DJ mixer's output. What's good about Traktor is that it's great for recording, they make it really easy. But I would go with recording directly into your DAW. You could also have Maschine loaded into your DAW via VST and play your beat like that then scratch over it.

What's your budget? There's not much for turntables but if you want new then go with either Pioneer PLX-1000 or Stanton ST150. The cheaper Stantons are okay but you can definitely feel the difference in the torque when scratching.

For a DJ mixer, same thing - not many options. If you win the lottery, you can get the Traktor Z2, or Rane line of mixers. But I have the DJ Tech http://www.djtechpro.com/eng/product-details.php?id=2. It's great. Very basic but that's all I need. They have a newer version http://www.djtechpro.com/eng/product-details.php?id=5 which is great for having those shortcut buttons for Traktor. But it's not necessary.

OriginalNoGuru

Cheers man... Turntable likely to be used (was just gonna try and get a direct-drive table that isn't too trashed) and I that DJ-Tech mixer looks like the ticket!
Question would be Serato vs Traktor; but as I use Maschine, Traktor probably makes the most sense as I'm guessing it has greater integration with Maschine (or is planned to have?)... (NI is gonna take over the world one day!)

Like I said... Just planning at this point... New audio interface (& maybe an external pre) has got to be priority. Sick of having to unplug and re-plug everything constantly and need to get that sorted.

The 'want list' never ends though!!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I'm kinda drunk already but I'll try to answer you.

Yes, NI is taking over the world! I went with Traktor for 2 reasons:
  1. I have Maschine.
  2. Qbert likes it over Serato:

You could also find a used Technics 1200 on Craigslist, that's great too. I bought mine used, one on there, the other from eBay (Japan MK3!!!).

Do you have a multitrack mixer? Or are you looking to just go through an interface?

OriginalNoGuru

You could also find a used Technics 1200 on Craigslist, that's great too. I bought mine used, one on there, the other from eBay (Japan MK3!!!).

Craigslist hasn't really taken off in the UK... It's eBay or Gumtree here (and Gumtree tends to end up with you visiting a crackhouse and buying 'morethanlikely' nicked gear when dealing with audio stuff)

Yeah, a 1200 would be ideal but they're still selling used for crazy money... Likely to be a Stanton T62 on my budget :-(

Plan is to get rid of the Scarlett 2i2 and pick up a Steinberg UR44 within the next few months. I've got a little 5-input (Alto) mixer that I can (and do!) Gerry-Rig stuff with... But the Steiny will give me 6 inputs (4 pres + 2 line) and 4 line outs (+ the main outs) which should tidy shit up and make life easier. It has DSP fx too which can be assigned to the headphone mix when tracking vocals... This is BIG THINGS for me!!

Also looking at the GAP-PreQ-73 to give my SE2200 a bit of colour in the front-end too (definitely gonna have to hide that from my wife on the way in the house!!) as well as being a quality DI for bass guitar.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Ok well yeah a 1200 is good if the price is decent, maybe in the UK it's pricey but a T62 is ok as long as you're not trying to be like Qbert. I had the T62, it was solid but of course not a 1200.

If you can get away with the UR44 then go for it, as long as it has all the inputs you need. Keep us updated on what you get!