Tips on actually producing an individual

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
ayo we all talk about makin beats but thats just the raw product unless your j dilla and can make shit with no emcee...

so im in a position now where i need to start producing, like actually takin my joints into the studio with an emcee and makin a complete track. anyone got any advice on this?

i understand it is your job to bring out the best in an emcee.

sAfE.

SlickVikNewman

Hip Hop Super Villian
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Yo 1st and foremost, it aint a party or a class reunion up in there. I have had too many MC's bring a million and one muthawundas to the studio. It was damn near impossible to keep em' focused and we barely left with anything worth keeping. Plus dont let them treat you like a cookie cutter beat makin' dude, you are a producer, you are there to be the director of whats going down. Thats just a few things I would remember.......

Hitz_Production

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
well, first thing i do is have a ''listening session'' with just myself, the engineer, manager and artist.. we give collective insight, (lol) on where we feel the track can go..

oh, yeah, my rule about niggas hangin around in the studio.. no more than whose going to be on the song. that's it. unless u bringin record execs lol...

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
you gotta build a good vibe with cats first. that way they'll be more receptive to your suggestions. Sometimes its hard because an MC has his ego (think about it, that's 90% of their persona on the mic) and he might not like you telling him how to do his craft. I've had niggas tell me that I need to stick to the beats and they would worry about their rhyming.

I took their money, recorded them, and never answered their phonecalls again lol.

But seriously, once you can shoot the breeze with niggas and they cool with you its a lot easier. If its somebody you gonna be working with a lot, kick it with him for a week or two, do some sessions and then ease in there with suggestions.

When they get on the mic, give compliments but also let them know where they can improve. Like I might say something like that was almost there, you just lost your breath right around the 8th bar, lets run it again from the top but lets keep that take. Or it was perfect except you slurred that one word. Or if they fuck up and its obvious, just hit stop and say lets take it from the top. But if you just plain out not feeling that nigga, then its a lot more complicated. You gotta be diplomatic but just tell the truth. I'm not feeling that hook, I think it would work better on Beat 22, but this beat aint really working with that hook.

If niggas come with attitudes just keep your cool and say something like I'm just tryna help you sound the best you can on this track, its the same shit any other producer would do, you should be worried if I didn't say nothing... That's why the call me a producer because its my job to make sure this track comes out the best it can...

Most of the time its only rookie cats that come with attitudes. Niggas that's been in studios and been at it for a minute know that they gonna get their shit critiqued.

And sometimes its gonna be tension. that's the nature of the beast. Just gotta roll with it.

Make sure you listen to their verse FIRST, before you even get to the studio lol. That will save you a lot of time and money off the bat. Forgot to mention that one.

I got my own studio, so I always forget about that, that's prolly most important.

Way back in the day (bout 93-94) my brother n'em used to have a rap group, they would record scratch tracks at their producer's house on a 4 track tape deck using a sm57. Before they even went to the studio their shit had to be memorized and tight. I remember a couple oof times my brother had big attitudes because the producer told him his shit wasn't hot. its just part of the game.

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
mp3 said:
you gotta build a good vibe with cats first. that way they'll be more receptive to your suggestions. Sometimes its hard because an MC has his ego (think about it, that's 90% of their persona on the mic) and he might not like you telling him how to do his craft. I've had niggas tell me that I need to stick to the beats and they would worry about their rhyming.

I took their money, recorded them, and never answered their phonecalls again lol.

But seriously, once you can shoot the breeze with niggas and they cool with you its a lot easier. If its somebody you gonna be working with a lot, kick it with him for a week or two, do some sessions and then ease in there with suggestions.

When they get on the mic, give compliments but also let them know where they can improve. Like I might say something like that was almost there, you just lost your breath right around the 8th bar, lets run it again from the top but lets keep that take. Or it was perfect except you slurred that one word. Or if they fuck up and its obvious, just hit stop and say lets take it from the top. But if you just plain out not feeling that nigga, then its a lot more complicated. You gotta be diplomatic but just tell the truth. I'm not feeling that hook, I think it would work better on Beat 22, but this beat aint really working with that hook.

If niggas come with attitudes just keep your cool and say something like I'm just tryna help you sound the best you can on this track, its the same shit any other producer would do, you should be worried if I didn't say nothing... That's why the call me a producer because its my job to make sure this track comes out the best it can...

Most of the time its only rookie cats that come with attitudes. Niggas that's been in studios and been at it for a minute know that they gonna get their shit critiqued.

And sometimes its gonna be tension. that's the nature of the beast. Just gotta roll with it.

Make sure you listen to their verse FIRST, before you even get to the studio lol. That will save you a lot of time and money off the bat. Forgot to mention that one.

I got my own studio, so I always forget about that, that's prolly most important.

Way back in the day (bout 93-94) my brother n'em used to have a rap group, they would record scratch tracks at their producer's house on a 4 track tape deck using a sm57. Before they even went to the studio their shit had to be memorized and tight. I remember a couple oof times my brother had big attitudes because the producer told him his shit wasn't hot. its just part of the game.

props for that man. n thanks to evry1 else.

pz.

The-Shadow

Ego Sum Vox Manus Deus
ill o.g.
Keep the weed and the booze outside the door. I don't know how many times I had to cuss rappers out just cause they weren't listening...cause they were drunk or high. If that's what they like to do, they can do that after the session is concluded. A sober session more productive and fast moving then a stoned session is.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
i agree.. leave the booze and weed for after the session. I think one of the most important things is establishing a good relationship with who you are recording. Couldnt agree more with you mp3, you want to be on their good side, but be viewed as a professional so that your input is valued when you give it.

When I'm recording clients, I let them know off the bat that my job is to get the best sound possible. I give them advice as to how things should sound in a gentle way, by complimenting a part of it first and then softly telling them "it may sound better if you did it liek this" or "that seemed a lil crowded on that last bar, lets see if you can take somethin out or arrange flow it differently".

Kinda hard to explain, but you have to be nice about things. Respect them as an artist and they'll respect you as a producer.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Some tips I would include for producing/recording individuals is:

Set the tone from the moment they walk in the door that your time is valuable and we're all here to WORK.

Blunt rollers, crate carriers, the girl who gave you a ride, and other entourage have nooooo input and "bet not" touch any of this equipment.

Find out their preferences for recording and REMEMBER them, that's really how you build that comfort level.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
some ground rules for recording at my spot/house

take off your shoes....

no drinkin, eating or smoking in the lab ... go outside if thats what u want to do then come back in..

know ur verse!!.. this is the most important ... i purposely dont put a light in my booth for that reason ... i hate when cats bring the paper and start reading instead of spittin... ... when i personally rap i dont need more than a few takes at most .. many times ill get a good first take... i hate when cats come thru and need 35 takes and 8 punch ins to get a 16 bar verse in ... pathetic really .... u shouldnt be emceeing if u cant lay shit down in a few takes.

set time limits .. let them know how long they got ... always have "something to do later" .. even if you dont .. keeps them from wasting time..

dont be afraid to criticize .. if the shits wack its wack ..... u gotta be the coach .. because everything that is produced by you will have your name behind it so u always want to make sure your bringing the best out of your artists.

the more people in your crib, the more confusion... sometimes its difficult, but try to keep the people to a minimum.....

now this is just my spot ... if dude wants to pay for a commercial studio .. then i cant really control some of those things .. but still the producer has the final say on whats goin down about things and is in charge .. dont forget that

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
word ground rule, people that arent doing nothing on the track shouldnt be there, no fuckin chillout session. i've seen it too much from both sides, too frustrating, that is why i am workin on my own thing that is for sure, totally not productive and it kills inspiration.

members online