To all ya'll non-hardware users!

B

Burna

I now hate all ya'll.

I've been so fucking use to FL Studio ReWire to Reason, and making QUALITY beats everyday or so. NOW, I own a MPC2500 with my M-Audio Radium 49' KeyStation, and Pro-Tools, and it's almost nearly IMPOSSIBLE to make a beat or two of NICE HOTNESS within a day. To all ya'll hardware users, I now feel ya pain.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
it's different for everyone. For me software was like trying to spell my name with a pencil in my toes.. with the mpc1k it's much easier for me to get my ideas into beat form.

B

Burna

^^ Good point mayne, It took me 8months to get this good with software, now i still make bangin' tracks. But takes me a hell of a lot longer. LOL!

Hita_K

Dilltastic
ill o.g.
I had the same problem, it takes awhile i haven't completely transfered to hardware but it takes awhile to know the hardware. Same struggle i had with software it jus takes time.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
I have switched from software to hardware and now use both. I'd actually say i'm equally good using both up until this last year when software got the dominant side creativity-wise.

Comes down to work flow and what's comfortable. Mainly what you know.

B

Burna

Damn, aloootta good points and opinions. Iuno tho, I've grown to love my MP already. Specially them days where nothin seems to go right, i jus sit n groove with my MP, an come up wit some grimy shit.

P

PrymeTyme

so far ive only been workin wit software...im goin 2 start using hardware soon and for me i feel like thats kinda gonna be like startin over. but i think it will be worth it.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
It takes more gear with hardware to achieve the same utilities as derrived from software, the quality's better though. When you hook your mpc's out to a nice quality analogue console and have an Apogee Ensemble as the I/O then you'd be talking nice stuff.

But...,

A program like FL cant equate to anything hardware because there's unique things to software where hardware is always a basic tool ( in regards to tech development ).There's nothing with slaving a laptop to the mpc's clock. That's still keeping it hardware with some advantage of software by using it as a host for vsti or use vst's via hardware sidechains .

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Word, I'm a mixture man myself. I've got my MPC, my keyboard, and my sound modules all running into protools. I also use sampletank and reason. If I had to choose between one or the other; then I would have to stick with my MPC, because for me it's more comfortable and I love that hands on feel.
ONE

J-ReZyN

Soul Slinger
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Yeah, there are advantages and disadvantages to both hardware and software. It's a matter what you feel comfortable on. Give yourself enough time to learn whatever you're using and you'll be bumping out tracks. The good thing is once you know one, it makes things a bit easier to learn the other because the basic priciples are the same. Just keep on doing your thing!

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
I'm savin up for a MPc.. So I'll see about this soon enough. I have worked with an MPC on a few of my beats, the logic isnt different, you just have to know how to work it. I particularly find sampling easier on a MPC, it feels better to me.

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I've done both software and hardware. And now my lab is a mixture. I got a Mac G5 running Logic and some other SW, and a PC running VSTs. I have an Alesis ION, an Emu EMAX I Rack, and an S900 as ahrdware modules, and a Bellari mic pre and compressor. Best of both worlds. I still want a hardware sequencer, prolly an MPC 60, just so I can turn the computers off and make some music.

Honestly, software is plain better, from a workflow standpoint, but it can get in the way, because it can do so much. Also hardware forces you to be creative becuase like with the old samplers I got, I'm looking at less than 2MB of sample memory, as opposed to gigabytes in the computer, so those limitations can and do inspire.

Here's the kicker though: i find it better to sample and manipulate samples in the EMAX than in the computer. It forces me to use my ears instead of my eyes. And I come up with better results that way.

misscc803

Miss C.C.
ill o.g.
I have messed around wit software but not enought to say i have da hang of it or i want to continue wit it. I use hardware but lately its been hard for me to come up wit anything but im tryin to get back serious wit beats cauze i have potential but jus gotta get some ideas. But I love my MPC shit to be honest i can do good all my shit on there but i cant let da PK-6 sit lonely. But work dat MPC Money like its yo chick in bed. So bang muthafucka bang!!!

f1ndforty

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
man its key to have ground-breaking sounds. You need some heavy hits in your mpc to get the creative juice flowing. Me, I can get my ideas out of my head onto FL w/ the step sequencer in about 2 seconds, at least a general, steady loop of what i'm trying to create. I find it so damn easy to get your ideas out. And you can make new patterns on the fly as ideas hit you. <3 software.