Too good to sample...

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Have you ever come across a beat that was so great that you could see yourself sampling it? I have.

The song? Papa Was A Rolling Stone by The Temptations...

There is so much material to sample in there, but everytime I listen to it, I just can't... maybe someday, when I'll be a very good flipper... but right now... nooooooooo can dooooo :(

So, do you have a song that you can't sample?

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Temptations
All Directions: (Gordy 1972)
* "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone"
2 Black 2 Strong - "?"
Cormega - "Cormega Was a Rollin' Stone"
Dream Warriors - "Voyage Through the Multiverse"
Mary J. Blige ft Pete Rock & CL Smooth - "Family Affair"
Run-DMC - "Papa Crazy"
South Central Cartel - "Pops Was a Rolla"

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
Have you ever come across a beat that was so great that you could see yourself sampling it? I have.

The song? Papa Was A Rolling Stone by The Temptations...

There is so much material to sample in there, but everytime I listen to it, I just can't... maybe someday, when I'll be a very good flipper... but right now... nooooooooo can dooooo :(

So, do you have a song that you can't sample?

Ive sampled that before, dope song.

Also peep raekwons last album, he used it too.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
nope i used to think like this but i've got to the point hwere if i can make something good from it then why not !?
i think 'touch the sky' just about destroyed the notion of some songs can't be sampled !

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
nope i used to think like this but i've got to the point hwere if i can make something good from it then why not !?
i think 'touch the sky' just about destroyed the notion of some songs can't be sampled !

i agree wit u ,every dope song can be flipped ridiculously i think if u can kill it fuck it i wanna hear it

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I third that, as long as it's not for profit, flip anything and everything.
Of course if someone says, I want you to do a song for this TV Show, you'd probably have trouble clearing a song that samples something well known....

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
I third that, as long as it's not for profit, flip anything and everything.
Of course if someone says, I want you to do a song for this TV Show, you'd probably have trouble clearing a song that samples something well known....

i wud do it more than just for fun but for a tv show fuck it do classical everything is open

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Temptations
All Directions: (Gordy 1972)
* "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone"
2 Black 2 Strong - "?"
Cormega - "Cormega Was a Rollin' Stone"
Dream Warriors - "Voyage Through the Multiverse"
Mary J. Blige ft Pete Rock & CL Smooth - "Family Affair"
Run-DMC - "Papa Crazy"
South Central Cartel - "Pops Was a Rolla"

From the breaks... I knew it already was sampled (it's a well known song and it's full of samples/loops possibilities), but I mean, I couldn't touch that song... well, maybe I'll try and sample it too... but still, I'd be walking on egg shells on that one. And be extra demanding.

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
i wud do it more than just for fun but for a tv show fuck it do classical everything is open

Yeah man,
But everytime that TV show comes on the air, you'd only get half or no publishing instead of all because you sampled some orchestra and have to give 50 cents of every dollar to the London Symphony Orchestra...
If you're not doing it to pay the bills and put food on the table, AOK.
If you do it professionally, and already have your assets in order and don't mind splitting/giving up your publishing, AOK.
But if you're trying to make ends meet and doing it professionally, you got to exercise a little bit of discretion. Either write it yourself and play it yourself, or write it yourself and hire some musicians to come in and do it right...
My two.