Too many people think they can "produce"? Are there too many wannabes?

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Dear All:

I have heard this, with the popularisation of computer recording, there has been an alleged "devaluation" in musical production, and in the concept of production in general.

I am posting this, because I heard a friend say that "anyone with a computer, softsynth, and budget sequencer thinks they're a producer these days."

Although I disagree with him, because a computer, softsynth can work wonders if you apply them properly. You can also understand that there is a perception of greater garbage music out there now than ever before.

I don't think it affected major label releases, because there is filtration involved in the process. But I think that easy access to these programmes, make it hard to "break in" for people who are aspiring to become involved in the music business. That's because a lot of people are turned off by the large amount of solicited recordings that are done at home and end up taking an executive's time and causes frustration..

However, I also view easy access to music programmes as positive, because people wanting to make music but could not afford the software or hardware, may be able to express themselves now with cheaper, and still high quality music softwares.

So, it can be viewed as a give or take situation. That's why this forum is good, however, because it helps people learn and understand their software or hardware and also facilitate discussion regarding their works and how to improve them.

What do you think?

Sincerely,
God

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
am happy bout software cuz i cnt afford no gear like akai samplers n dat. wanabe's..hmmm i dnt tink dat peeps who stick wit it r wanabes, sum try but soon give up.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
great post!
i agree with afriquedeluxe.
wannabes give up as soon as they find something which is more interesting to them.

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
i think alot of people jus misuse the word alot...they think that just because they make a beat that they are a producer, when actually theres more to it than that, even though sometimes the producer dosent have too much to do with makin the beat. I would like to say that these ppl are actually engineers...BUT thats kinda not the right word either becuase a real engineer knows what they are actually doing, and why they are doing it (of course we know what were doing after a while but you know what im sayin),--> and they understand the mathematics and all the technicalities<--, so then you have the rest of us...what are we??? i guess we gotta come up with a new name for us that didnt really have any real real trainin. in the middle of a producer and an engineer, how bout aprenticeer...na jus talkin ish.

J-UK

Um........
ill o.g.
I just don't like how people are calling themselves producers when they ain't. They are beatmakers, thats what I am. The word producer gets thrown around too much. I love it though how nearly anyone can start making music at a low price.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I think that if you have at least an album or a finished song under your belt and it's somewhat arranged, that moves you from just being the ordinary beatmaker to a producer........imagine a movie producer with a movie that comes out and there's no actors or a script just scenes.....not to say he's a producer but is that a finished product????? or just something to use to get actors that wanna be on the project....I would say that with the laws of supply and demand.....yes some costs have dropped considerably for a label to produce a record.......most of them have in house production or production companies that make tracks.....and of course the lucky ( or unlucky to get undersold) beatmaker that gets a track that makes it to a major project....I say you gotta just look at this situation and say fugg it I don't care I am the best and keep on with your dreams.....fugg all of the other statistics...or imagine if someone running the Boston marathon said awww fugg it....theres too many people in this race, I can't win.....????
more power to the beatmakers and producers!!!!!!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Sure, most of us on here are "beatmakers", but I still consider myself a producer. Most people when they think of the word "producer", they think of a finished song. I produce music, therefore I am. Does that make sense?

DjDelay

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think a true hip-hop producer is someone who can arrange, compose and can actually construct the beat. Yeah alot of fake ass no-ones have been calling themselves producers for too long. A.K.A Puff Daddy (or whatever the f*ck he calls himself nowdays), and DRE. Mel man and scott storch were the brains behind his 2001 album not dre.

voorheezMP

M.ilitia P.roductions
ill o.g.
True in deed Fade. Beatmakaz are what we are, and music is what we produce. When people ask me what do I do, I say I make beats. That dosen't mean I'm not a producer. To me we all producers. Check it, you don't even have to know how play anything and still be a producer. So I know I'm one. I guess you gotta first put on tha hat!!! But at tha same tyme I kinda agree with all of yall. As for me I'm a beatmaka/producer. I feel you too Delay. No fake ass here!!!

D

DJlow2

producer is just a title. essentially, Beatmakers and Producers are the same thing. Cause a producer has to start with a beat first before he can arrange it and once he gets the beat he has to make it sound good..

elkito

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I HEAR YA...

BUT U KNOW WOT DONT WORRY COZ THE REAL PRODUCERS/BEATMAKERS/ENGINEERS WOTEVA WILL STAY TRU TO THEIR GAME AND THE REST WILL GIVE UP SOONER OR LATER WITHOUT A SPARK...

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Producer/Beatmaker who knows. I think most of us are a combo of musicians and engineers and producers all mixed into one.

As far as the "devaluation" of music, I dont fall for it. Old schoolers are threatened by the new cats that can do what they can for a fraction of the cost. But just cuz you have the equipment dont mean you're gonna be able to make good music. Thats like saying anybody with a triton can make a hit. A lot of people have tritons and are wack producers. Its all about the user's skills.

I'm personally glad more people have access to making music, why should the people with money be the ones making tracks. You know, just cuz you can afford a MPC2000 and a Triton dont mean that you should have one. I think this new technology lets people show what type of skills they got. Thats what it comes down to. User skills.

E

Equality 7-2521

on the original topic.....i think that the IS alot more crap music out there these days. BUT, sorting though all this crap is a part of being a listener of music. MUSIC IS FOR ANYONE AND EVERYONE....no matter how wack their music is. music in NOT just for people who are good at making it.

therefor there is going to be alot of music which you dont like and are going to have to discard. but remember, one mans trash is another mans treasure.....so if you dont like it, just dont listen to it.

as far as "wannabes" go, i think that if someone is wack but they THINK they are good and will make it, then it is THEIR problem.
--------------------------

as far as the "producer"/"beatmaker" discussion goes..........on the album covers of music i buy, the beatmaker is listed as "producer:"
therefor the beatmaker IS the producer. and i dont think it matter if the music is released or not. its not a big deal anyway

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
With access to computer music software such as virtual software studios like Reason, FL Studio, etc, and recording programs like Cubase and Sonar even Pro Tools, the home/project studio today is equipped to create high quality music at affordable rates which is a very good thing.

I understand why your friend would say "too many people think they can produce" but it's because of this: not too many people working at home making music actually have a mentor like in the old days so there is a huge lack of production skills, experience and hands on training of the best practices and tricks of the trade being passed down to people like us (unless your lucky to be working in a pro studio or went to school or do your own studying on music theory etc). But even going to school is no guarantee, the most important factor is that serious 'producers' get as much experience working with different bands, working maybe in different studios, working with high quality gear understanding how to use a mixing console if needed; just basically being an expert and using every tool you have access to in the studio or in our case case home studio/computer. Back years ago most young up and coming producers couldn't even afford a compressor (very expensive) let alone any type of recorder, so you HAD to go to the studio if you wanted to make an album.

A lot of unpleasing music is made today because that vital knowledge isn't being passed down like it was in previous generations, but it's still available in other forms like forums such as illmuzik, books, articles online, magazines, but still none of this can compete with learning alongside a pro mixer or mastering engineer or producer and learning exactly 'HOW TO GET THAT SOUND'.

Most of us don't have the luxury of working in a pro studio so we have to approach our music at a different angle, figure how to get our shit to sound the best coming out of this computer or whatever you have at home and mastering the process your doing now to make your music and then eventually upgrading constantly improving your knowledge of the fundamentals, skills and experience and you'll get there, the wannabees will fall off eventually so I don't even worry about them.

nobodyfamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Really, it doesn't matter to me what people are "wannabes" etc. because we call know that in time the truth will come forward, and for most of these cats, you don't have to wait because the first track you play you hear its trash. That's my thoughts on the wanna be thing.

As for the producer/beatmaker debate. A beatmaker just makes beats, simple as that. A producer makes everything happen. Brings artist together who he things will work well together, organizes, gives the artist direction, basically just runs ish. What I do, im a producer, I work with a rock band and produce them, I work with rappers, ect. I don't sell a beat unless I am there to give direction and input into the song and i will not leave until it is right.

So just because you sell a beat, doesn't make you a producer, there is more to it!

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I don't consider myself a producer no more, I'ma HEAD KNOD ARTIST,
the title producer is so broad, my key ingredient is to make your head go back and forth.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
You all got valid points! But I like what Fade said about producin!! Look if you made the track and if it's hot,,then you produced it. I think beatmaker and producer can be similar and different alltogether.

Here's a question,,,

I was in the studio with my man Ben Grimm(Fantazmic Four) right? Now, I was helpin him with pointers on his delivery in certain parts of the cut he was doin at the time. As he does for me. With that bein said,,does that make us "executive producers"? LOL (that was horrible)

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I fee l until we reach the point of being know in the game we are all wannabees..Not in a bad sense but we all want to be producers or own our own production company or lables...But I will call the wannabees that you all are talking about the OTHERS..They see somthing and see that it's money in it so they jump into it feet first andknow nothing about the art of beat making and call themselves producers..I feel that everyone that has posted here in the showcase has the ability to be a producer How great depends on how hard you're willing to work but the others are people that talk all kinds of shit and never posted here or don't know anything at all look to get rich quick and I think we all realize it's a long hard road to get in the door....When I first started I had to be about 18 and I started with nothing but drums on a casio rz-1 and I took steps from being able to program drums to being able to sample to being able to chop samples to being original and now with 10 songs under my belt I working on becoming a well rounded producer...So all of you on illmuzik with a pasion and love for it don't become one of the OTHERS

members online