toronto hip-hop

ill o.g.
Anybody from toronto or who know somethin about toronto, could you let me know some artists or anything about the scene there? I know a bit about k-os but im not very fond of anybody else.

lc

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
I'm from Toronto, although I haven't lived there permanently since early 2004. Kardinal was always one of the top dudes, also Saukrates, Rascalz, Swollen Members. I don't know what sort of new shit is poppin off now tho. Besides some of Kardi's music, and K-Os, Canadian hip hop is pretty wack IMO. K-OS is dope as fuck tho. that dude is real talented, real soulful. Definately a true artist.

Sahota

ill o.g.
Yea i think K-os is the best thing out of Toronto right now. Kardinals up there but not close to K-os

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
There's also others (don't know how active they still are) like Infinite, Choclair, Grassroots (I think they're from T.O.), Citizen Kane. Back in the 90's they had a strong scene, I don't think it's doing as well now.

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
thers alot of Talent Brassmonk, Pointblank, Ghetto Concept , theres new dudes comin up Like Rochester (sumthin like that) My Man from around my way Califa Doin shit With Mobb Deep. Basically theres alot of Rappers Comin out of T.O alot that are Just as wack or Commercially Capable as the ones from that states that are able 2 make Millions of Dollars but Canadian Rappers aint get that same oppurtunity thatts the only thing that piss me off . Cuz I think T.O can be a Big Part of the Whole rebirth of the East Coast Movement

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Canada must suffer from the same thing my city does,lack of self support.
I have heard some very good artists out of Canada, I dont think whether the states buys the stuff or not should be a big deal as long as every damn body in Canada does.
I heard some white guy from up there, clandestine or undisclosed or some shit who was every bit as good
as anyone here.
I dont know.... I just think there is an assload of talent there. If not numerically then in quality.

Hita_K

Dilltastic
ill o.g.
Yea, there is lack of self support down here because people are more focused on american artists, but it makes us work harder. There alot of big names up here im proud to say but they just dont get the respect that they diserve. Kardi, Chocliar, Saukartes, Jully Black jus to name a few, not to mention up and comming artists like my friend SEP. We get alot of support from other places but people dont recognize it as much for example: Marc Ecko had his Getting Up festival (i think it was called) jus last summer and there were alot of canadian artists as well as american artists. I think things will slowly progress or we will always get slept on and surprise the world someday.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
There was that guy... Bishop who went to 106 and Park "illegally" and won the FreeStyle Friday battle. Guy's real cool with it. His click is "section 6", if I remember. That white boy is really gifted for freestyles!

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
sYgMa said:
There was that guy... Bishop who went to 106 and Park "illegally" and won the FreeStyle Friday battle. Guy's real cool with it. His click is "section 6", if I remember. That white boy is really gifted for freestyles!

My manager set up all the battles between Bishop and Jin....A few months back they did the Jin vs. Bishop part 3 and Jin officially retired Bishops ass from the battling world...The dude got destroyed. Now aparently he just wants to focus on his album. Gonna be pretty weak to me. Honestly, I would support Canadian hip hop if the shit was tight, but it's not, and thats a simple fact. Aside from some Kardi shit, and K-OS, there's nothing that I gravitate to. Toronto doesn't have a "sound" like they do down south, or out west. We're just a cheesy rip off of the east coast and pop scene. The problem is these Canadian MC's are influenced SOOO much by the American media that they've lost their roots. Now everything they do comes off as forced.

95% of emcees that come out of Toronto (that's the only city I can really speak on cuz I don't hear shit from Vancouver and other areas too much), just try to do that gangster shit cuz they think it's hot. Truth is, they're ALL faking it. Toronto's NEVER been a city of crime. It's starting to get a little worse over the past few years and I don't like that at all. And honestly, it's all these fuckin stupid ass rappers that think they're hard and need to be that way to sell records. That's why I'll never support those bullshit emcees from Canada. K-Os all the way!

monumental

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 6
Hey just a little bit of geography for you guys... if were taling t.o mc's swollen is from vancouver and classified is from halifax.. I'm from van knowbody good out here (swollen what a joke) k-os is by far the most talented canadian artist, i saw him live it was un real.

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
im not from toronto but -wth- how can u say your scene is wack. anybody remember that cat mathematik ? in-in-into-math-mathematik ;) he dropped an lp some years ago (ecology) and i still got it bumpin every now and then. classic shit.
how about brass munk ??? they aint from toronto? their shit is bangin, got a bootleg of "one-two" (b/w "stop-look-and-listen). that beat is so ill. eternia is mad nice (but she aint tdot right?). isn't frankenstino from toronto as well ? saukrates... people i love that vibe, how can u not even know these cats. better hit the recordstore quickly

pace

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Hahaha damn how could I forget Mathematik!! He's one of my favs from T.O., everyone should check out his stuff, especially in the 90's.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Nefarius was great before Kwesro passed away and the group disbanded..

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I remember "Dream Warriors" back in the 90s, wonder what they be doing right now?
And what about "Pocket Dwellers"...

members online