trademark or dba or both

• beat this! voting starts in...

qenetic|storm

ill o.g.
lets say my business name is 'fattbeatz'
and my production company is 'fattwax productions'

do i need to go to my local county precinct and file a 10-35 dba .. and file it "fattbeatz dba fattwax productions"?

^i read you if you don't have like an official office than you have to file a dba in every county you do business in...

as far as a trademark its $335.00 and the name is protected nationally

of course after getting all that set i would need to file for a tax id...

so can anyone help in the right direction... peace...

Honesty

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
actually...whether you file a trademark or not, you need to file a DBA and register your company. A Trademark protects your name from being stolen. a DBA is all business. It basically says you're John Doe, but you're doing business as Fattwax productions... If you're truly serious about this business, I'd incorporate. Incorporating is expensive, but it's easier to avoid taxes....I could go on 4ever on the benefits of incorporating, but it'd be rambling, if you'd like more hit me on aim- JustinC5.... aight...be eazy...

water...

gram green

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
incorporating is cheap as fuck .. at least here in denver... i paid two differen fees in two different state offices but all together it was less than a hundred dollars... the reason i set it up was so i can get tax breaks on everything i spend money on that is music related (which ends up being everything, bar tabs, records, rent, bills... its pretty tight actually) ... my accountant set it all up... but i dont have my name trademarked... im not sure its necessary right now ... but what exactly do you want to accomplish....

Honesty

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
...You should've incorporated in Delaware or Nevada, they have the no income taxes among other things...which is why you're supposed to go to a financial planner, then a lawyer, then an accountant if the planner can't do it...but to each their own...