Turntable advices

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I know that this happens to others...

I was walking to my friends house when I saw a crate full of vinyls in a garage sale... There was some great vinyls there... and they where real cheap (like a quarter each). So I bought them... but I dont have a turntable.

Yeah, this is kind of stupid, but I'd like to have advices on where/what should I look for a turntable, so I can use those vinyls?

And dont forget, I'mma scrooge!!!!

Elgen

The Moose With The Most.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
dont even worry about the turntable, it'll cost less just to ship me those vinyls.

but if u got the money u cant go wrong with technics 1200's. and u need a mixer.

Honesty

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
...find one at a pawn shop... I think I paid $80 for mine... as long as it has 2 rca outs and spins... you're fine...lol

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
What should I be looking for, even if I get a cheap one?

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
If I have a preamp... would that take the place of the mixer...

cuz I'm guessing the mixer is used to plug the turntable to the computer... or is there something else it does?

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I've currently got a shitty belt-drive turntable connected to an equally crappy stereo with the stereo outs going into my computer. No mixer or pre-amp; its absolutley for simply recording samples [off vinyl, tape, tv, whatever] into my computer.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
I dont mind getting a cheap belt drive turntable... actually, I didnt there where other types

-_-

But if i still want the sample to sound clear... would that have something to do with the needle? or any turntable/needle/ preamp will give me the same quality, as long as i dont wanna scratch ?

WORDAMOUPH

NUPHONIX PRODUKTIONS
ill o.g.
YO JUST GET THE PORTABLE TURNTABLE...VESTAX, NUMARK, IF U aint no D.J dont mess with the 1200's, them portable one's are straight u can take em everywhere and they got the outputs so u can sample

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
mmmh anyone?

What sets the quality of the sound in a turntable ? If I want a clear sounding sample, what do I need to look for ?

GhostChamberz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 128
sYgMa said:
mmmh anyone?

What sets the quality of the sound in a turntable ? If I want a clear sounding sample, what do I need to look for ?

The pickup, get a cheap 2nd hand turntable and invest your money in a good needle

this one is great for sampling: http://www.needlz.com/cartridges/m97xe.asp

will run u about 140$ and u might wanna buy either a standalone RIAA amp or a DJ Mixer

when it comes to the turntable, if your only gona use it for sampling, get a belt drive, if u intend to do some scratching/dj'ing later on u might as well get a direct drive turntable at once

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
140$ for a needle? wow! Aiight... if that's what I need.

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
I'M thinking of getting a cheap turntable just for sampling to, so i brought back that thread with the search. What's a belt drive?

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
a belt is literally a belt, that turns the table on a spindle, like the cam belt in a car, direct - the deck is powered by a motor directly, they have better torque and hold there speed better, it takes a belt drive a while to work up to full revs.....remember the orginal hip hop sound was sampled on shitty shitty belts....

if you got a mixer sygma that is a pre amp and that is all you need....

on the needle front, fucking madlib samples with the basic stanton needle, it all depends on the sound you want really, if you get a cheaper fater one, the sound quality will be more raw, if you get a poncy expensive one the quality will be good, but will it have that hip hop rawness, no, you wont get vinyl crackle the higher up the price range you go....