Turntable stylus help

monumental

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 6
i have a technics 1200 turntablesm with shure m44-7 stylus, i have been sampling vinyl a lot lately and am getting a lot of destortion and scrathy noise. Anyways i figured out part of my prob, was that i have scratch stylus, so all noise is applified. Anways my Question is what stylus replacement can i get that will be good for sampling all kinds of vinyl? thanks for th help...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah the 447's are for scratching so that's most likely the cause. What about your vinyl? Are you cleaning them before you put the needle down? Dust and dirt could be contributing to it too.

Check out this site for needle care:
http://www.sqratchattack.com/equipmentcare/equipmentcare_needles.html

Then go here and peep the needles they have.
http://www.turntablelab.com/cartridges/cartridges1.html

I recommend the new Shure white label, I haven't used them myself but they claim to require less tracking force, etc...
http://needlz.com/cartridges/whitelabel.asp

TKNK

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
COMIN FROM A DJ,
ITS YOUR STYLUS.
OVER TIME THE STYLUS GOES FROM NEEDLE SHARP SOUND 2 BUTTER KNIFE DULL WITH DISTORTION,LOSS OF TRACTION, & HELLA NOISE.

MONUMENTAL;THE SHURE M447 IS THE BEST OUT THEIR 4 EXTEREME SCTRATCHIN & MIXIN CUS OF ITS HIGH OUTPUT & TRACKIN. IT WAS BUILT 2 TAKE HELLLLA DAMAGE & USE.THATS WHY I THINK ITS ONLY THE STYLUS N NOT THE WHOLE THANG.
THAT NEEDLE IS HELLA RARE N HARD 2 FIND CUS OF ITS DEMAND.

E

Equality 7-2521

well you will always be gettinga scratchy noise...thats the sound of the needle running over the vynil groove. some people like the raw felling it gives to samples, other dislike the impurity of it. make sure you wipe your record clean and brush any dirt off your sylus before you start sampling.

as for distortion, im not sure. check everything is grounded and that your mixer is not bung.

i dont suggest replacing your needle if it is still new. DJ Shadow says he uses the needle with the best amplafing capabilities for sampling.

if you want to get rid of the background noise in another way, you can try to filter it out using cool edit or something. but i dont use cool edit so i cant advise you any further

monumental

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 6
okay i'm not sure you guys understand me, i am getting a scratchy noise not distortion, and this is because i have scratch needles, i know this, does anyone no another shure carteridge that would be cleaner for sampling vinyl, something that doesn't pick up the highs as much?

E

Equality 7-2521

hmm...ive heard hifi needles are good for sampling

sorry if im no help

DjDelay

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Speaking from a DJ's view it may not be the stylus. Is the record clean? Have you put too much weight on the cartridge itself? Try out the record with a different cartridge and if the same "scratchy noise" happens i would think its the record thats damaged.

Originally posted by Mr. Messenger
hmm...ive heard hifi needles are good for sampling

True, hifi needles are have the best sound quality, scratch cartrdiges are only necessary for scratching really but they are very reliable and you don't need to change the stylus every month on them:D

D

Dj Dezerk

the best needles are pickerings and don t tell no one the cost about 20 bucks

members online