Unbalanced Input?!?!

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
I jus ordered a emu 0404 but it sez its got unbalanced analogue inputs, what does this mean? i sample so i need the inputs, will it make any difference if they are unbalanced or balanced, im using the one that came with my dell pc so i decided to upgrade but dont really know too much about them. can somebody help?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
From the Ill Glossary:
https://www.illmuzik.com/technical/glossary.php

"BALANCED/UNBALANCED
Terms used to describe two types audio cable conventions. Unbalanced cables, such as standard guitar cords, use two wires. One wire carries the actual audio signal and the other is used for ground. Balanced cables, such as three-pill XLR microphone cables, use two wires for the signal and one for the ground. One of the signal wires carries the sound while the other carries an inverted copy. When the sidnal reaches the destination the inverted copy is flipped and added to the original. Any noise added by the wire also is inverted. When combined with the "non-inverted" noise, the two noise signals cancel each other out."

So basically, a Balanced signal provides protection against hum and noise. Unbalanced is more subject to hum and noise and is usually used in regular consumer products.

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
nice one fade, i didnt know about that glossary thing, when did u put that in?

peace

E

Equality 7-2521

For a cable to be balanced, it must have atleast two cores which are shielded and twisted around each other. Keep in mind that having a balanced cable does not mean you have a balanced circuit. To have a balanced circuit, you must have balanced cable, balanced connectors (TRS or XLR) and balanced sockets. If any of these are missing from the circuit, it will automatically disable any balanced circuitry and form an unbalanced circuit.

This will not be a problem (as far as fidelity is concerned) if your cable run is 3m or less. At 3m, HF (high frequency) starts to degrade and gets worse and worse as the cable run gets longer. Unbalanced connections are prone to EFI and RFI though (interference).

So in your situation, you cannot have a balanced circuit because you dont have balanced sockets. Make sure your cable run is under 3m and you should be fine.

Also, run all your equipment off the same power outlet (provided this wont cause overload) as this will reduce hum which may enter your signal.