diana ross
paul simon
sly and the family stone
rod temperton

Provided courtesy of Island Def Jam Music Group

jay z sampled kraftwerk like 4 times

IL Lusciato

ill o.g.
Man, its also in how obscure this stuff is...and how noticable....prince was out rite sampled on MC Hammers "pray" and on biggies track on born again with lil kim he took it from "your extra touch n your kisss" or w/e...... benson was sampled on Common's classic track "i used to love her" ..benson had some RnB crossover hits but he has tons of obscure jazz records...the sample common had was very regogonizeable being that i had the record...i agree too that if ur making no money, or very little untrackable money off the album, they mght not even bother comming after u....but try to keep it as unregogniable as possible...

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
Doesn't really matter about all those artists who don't clear their music for sampling. Some of the dopest shit you find while diggin in the crates is by obscure unknown artists anyway. And besides, if you chop up a sample good enough, noone can tell what the hell it was originally anyway. IMO, I think you should be allowed to sample without clearing but pay a mandatory fee based on the sales of your new creation. All of these "classic" artists need to check their ego at the door and listen to what George Clinton, James Brown, etc say about sampling. Besides, if you do sample a song from one of the unclearable artists list that wasn't that popular when it originally came out, your new mix might be phat enough to get that song out to more people. I swear, everybody forgets that it's all about the music and not being so selfish and egotistic. My 2 cents.

ART MPC 4000

THE NEXT BIG THING
ill o.g.
StraDivaRius said:
Almost Unclearable

Anita Baker
The beatles
george benson-de la sol just made a track off of one of his samples
tracy chapman-foxy beown(dancehall not hip-hop) made a classic "sorry" off of her song
the eagles
george harrison
jimi hendrix
kraftwerk-trans europe express sampled many different tiome ofer the course of hiphop
john lennon
paul mccartney
pink floyd
Prince-doves cry was sampled by timberland used by genuine
diana ross-love hangover sampled by jermaine dupri used by monica
paul simon
sly and the family stone-if you want me to stay sampled by????
rod temperton

Provided courtesy of Island Def Jam Music Group
almost everyone of these people have been clearly sampled at one time or another. it all depends on who samples it. and what they do with the sample

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
Benson has been heavily sampled... .Common did for "i used to love her" and pharoahe for "the light" come to mind specifically... prince was sampled by bone thugs....

maddogg

A hater since the womb!
ill o.g.
What alot producers do once they got deals and money is they just sample then put the shit out. Then once its out there they pay the money.Plus that way once lets say prince's people contact you.They cant say no, they just ask for money and lawyers make a deal based off sales not what the artist think they should get for being sampled. A good example is when p diddy sampled sting or the police i think he never contacted sting he waited til it was out and stings people came lookin for loot.
Peace

Tha1AndOnlyDJT

DJ Will Kill
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 36
Do you guys think it cost more to sample both the music and vocals of a song? i always wonder why kanye west had Sylenna Johnson resing the hook of "all falls down" when he had clearance to use Luaren Hill. Also, do you have to have your samples cleared before you copyright your music, or can you do that afterward. if these list are true im in deep shit. and what about newer music, is that even out of the question?

Complexxx

Hip Hop Apprentice
ill o.g.
djswivel said:
just to irriterate the above statements....money talks....it doesnt matter who the artsit is, if the price is right, they're gonna clear it...Prince, Paul McCartley etc etc, if the cheque's got enough zero's at the end, anyone will sell their shit....as a matter of fact, 99% of PEOPLE in general would probably sell their soul to the devil for enough money....thats the society we live in nowadays

I don't know about Prince man. I've heard of a lot people trying to get Prince samples cleared and he just ain't havin' it. I saw a interview with Irv Gotti and he was sayin that Prince is stubborn as hell with his music.

gram green

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Tha1AndOnlyDJT said:
Do you guys think it cost more to sample both the music and vocals of a song? i always wonder why kanye west had Sylenna Johnson resing the hook of "all falls down" when he had clearance to use Luaren Hill. Also, do you have to have your samples cleared before you copyright your music, or can you do that afterward. if these list are true im in deep shit. and what about newer music, is that even out of the question?

He aint never get clearence... Lauren Hill wouldnt let him use it... I heard him and Dame Dash talkin bout it in an interview... apparently she was pretty damn adament about it... they said you must call her Miss Hill.... your copyright covers your interpertation of the samples...

TheSpark...

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Nothing is unclearable... Like the one cat said if the song has potential thats all the sampled artist cares about... if it sell or helps the album sell then they have a chance at making dough... My question is have you guys ever been approved or denied access to a sample because I'm about to try to get permission for one and it seems pretty possible...

K

Kujo

Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk has been sampled on Lay you down G Unit.

StraDivaRius said:
Almost Unclearable

Anita Baker
The beatles
george benson
tracy chapman
the eagles
george harrison
jimi hendrix
kraftwerk
john lennon
paul mccartney