using a mixer and soundcard !

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
basically what i want to know is if i had say an m-audio 1010 which has like 8 line inputs but before the soundcard i had a mixer could i only record from the mixers main output ! or is there a way of recording a number of my mixer channels in one go using a number of the m-audio's inputs ?
peace

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
you need a mixer with direct outs....that means that each of your channels input have a corresponding individual output that you are monitoring can go out independently to a multitrack like your m-audio.....some older mixers like the alesis 24 and 32 studio have direct outs the mackies have direct outs also......a lot of the cheaper mixers do not give you the luxury of an output for each channel only the L/R mix.....

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
check out soundcraft spirit SX, sountracs solo or topaz and if you're lucky an allen&heath mixwizard. These all come with direct outs, the sx has 8, the solo and mixwizard have 16 and a topaz can have 48 ( and they come pretty cheap and sound pretty damn good).

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
ah thanks guys i knew there must be a way of doing it just didnt know the correct term of what i wanted..... 'direct outs' is what im after i guess ! thanks for the help big and formant !

members online