using midi with reason!!

m.s

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
MY SIMPLE QUESTION IS WHAT MIDI CONTROLLER SHOULD I INVEST IN TO OPERATE MIDI WITH MY REASON 2.5????

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Well, first of all it depends on tha specifics of what you want to control?
*Is it jus yer drum section?
*Or, is it your drums as well as your basslines, keys, etc.

Right now i use a Ox 8 with Reason 2.5 and im very satisfied with it...
Its perfect for simple tasks which is all i need with reason.

Preferably, i would like to also have a *MPD-16 as well tho - just to prgm my drums, and then everything else on tha OX 8...but as usual im broke as a joke so keep dreamin right!?

Anyways, you can consider a few alternatives:
*Oxygen 8 keyboard by M-Audio
*Ozone Keyboard by M-Audio (includes its own sound card and has more controllable knobs.
*Edirol makes a nice one, but i forgot tha name??
*Akai Mpd-16 (for prgming yer drums, it has 16 traditional velocity sensitive pads to bang yer shit out on)

Theres a ton of em' out there right now, which are generally all tha same, but if yer on a budget you might consider tha Ox8.

Steezo

m.s

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
aight

YEAH MAN!! I JUST DONE SOME HOMEWORK AND IT LOOKS LIKE THAT KORG ONE GOT WHAT I NEED...BUT CAN YOU TELL ME HOW DO YOU HAVE YOURS CONNECTED TO YOUR P.C??

C

Copenhagen

I have a midikeyboard, the MPD-16 and Evolution UC-33 midi mixer, so basically the separate parts of the Korg MicroControl.
I like it that each part is more extensive than the different parts of the MicroControl. However, I've thought about selling all 3 parts, and buy the MicroControl. My reasons for this are that I only have to use one USB port, which will take strain of my CPU, and also, fewer IRQ's will be shared, and that Reason doesn't seem to be able to use all 3 parts at once (I have to change every time in the preferences. I can play around with all three at once via the top 'busses', but cannot record without changing it in the preferences).
My only concern, is that the keys are really, really small compared to a normal keyboard (They are approx. the size of my littlefinger)...

Anybody have any comments to what they'd choose? Some valuable arguements?

m.s

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thanks!!

thanks for all da feedback!! i just went with my midi keyboard man i need to put it to use...but thanks ill probably still invest in the micro control....

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
yo ms...if yer still interested and yer not plannin on goin big time with tha pockets, than do wut i suggested and take a look at somethin simple and inexpensive in tha range im in...my ox 8 does tha trick even tho its not as hot as tha micro, but its also a third or less of tha price...

steeze

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Werd I use the korg microKontrol too. Bought it for my self last christmas (since no 1 would buy it for me. Lol). I been wantin ever since last october when I saw a demo 1 (wasn't realeased in the states yet). Its the shit.
If ur a "keyboard player" its not for you. But if you play simple melodies and chords. And like to hit pads to program drums and trigger samples ,then its everything uve been looking for.
It also has a built in midi interface so you can run all ur other midi gear thru it if you want.
I paid $300 usd. Looks like the price aint goin down any time soon. I garuntee best investment ull ever make. That and reason 2.5 (with good sounds and samples) is like havin a mpc 4000 and triton.

F

flippedout310

an oxygen 8 will do just fine, but if u waqnna do a lot of piano work get a Radium 61 key or that Korg Microkontrol sounds nice too

members online