Using stock pads and atmospheres etc.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Do any of you ever use stock pads/atmospheres when composing? It seems like a bit of a cheat just holding down one key and getting a nice background synth sound for your track. Just wanted to know whether they're considered a no-no?

There's no such thing as "cheating". If that were the case stop sampling! There's not much you can do with pads and atmospheres anyway. They just help to set mood and to fill up a track. There usually one finger played anyway...not like you can actually play chord progressions with them. They're designed to do what they do.

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Pads are a dope way to fill out tracks. I use samples mostly but will throw in a pad for a bit of glue from time to time. Just make sure it matches the vibe of the track otherwise it might sound corny.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
pads are the shit ... i use them all over the place .. often times very subtly ... i used to never fuck with pads until i heard wings music. he was the first producer i had seen really use pads alot. where is wings anyway i havent seen that dude around here in years.

I use stock reason patches on every composition I make.
They key is tuning the patch to taste and adding fx to make it work better for you.
Some patches are beyond hope, but theres some goodies in there too.
I dont often use pads for hiphop, but for dnb they are essential.

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
u can turn any wack ass reason pad into some nice depth for ur beat if used correct... other than that.. delete em and do ur own shit.

members online