Using the same legit XP key on two different computers

T

The Arkitekt

Yea seems like a dumbass question, if your gonna say something like "why would you be able to do that" then please don't post.

Anyone have problems doing this before? I got XP home on the other computer in my house and I wanna get it on my laptop. Does microsoft actually check to see if two computers are using it at the same time?

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
i've done it before with no problems. the only problem i've ever had was when both computers crashed, and i had to reinstall. they make you activate everytime. so after like 3 or 4 activations, the activation part is going to fail. they'll give you a number to call microsoft. just tell them that your computer crashed and you had to reinstall, and they'll give you another key.

i'm currently running on 3 machines using the same copy and key...no problems.

T

The Arkitekt

Nice nice. thanks.

lmao @ "it's been known to phone home"

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Depends on whether you got the single use license or not. If you got xp home in the box I think you can put it on up to 2-4 computers.

If you bought it and it only came in a sleeve its more than likely "single use" only. I think that's the $89 or $99 version.

Either way when it's time to activate it do it by phone. Depends on who the tech is, if you tell them something like "my computer crashed and now you have a new one and want to install windows on it", they'll issue a new license. Some just give u a new license no matter what! Doing it by internet is much diff't, the net will reject your activation with the quickness unless you definitely have multi use license.

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
A "Legit XP Key" will work very differently depending on the install media you're using. If the key was meant for an OEM XP disk and you're installing with a retail XP disk, then the install won't work. Also, f you have a Dell OEM disk and want to install the OS on an HP box even with the key that matches the CD, it most likely won't work.

You may also run into a problem with Windows updates. Since Windows creates a hash based on your key and hardware, one of you're machines may be marked as illegitimate. This depends on the key's license agreement though. You can always choose to not run Windows updates, but then you run the risk of leaving security holes in your machine, possibly setting you up for personal problems like identity theft.

Ctrl

T

The Arkitekt

"you got xp home in the box I think you can put it on up to 2-4 computers."

Nope, one license one computer. But microsoft dumps there activation info after 45 days or so?? so you can install it on another machine every month or so.

Perfect then. Do they dump the info after 45 days with the OEM keys also?

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Yeah..just call them and tell them you had to reinstall...

One time I took a XP CD from a dell PC and installed it into my HP PC.

It didn't work like 4-5 times......then all of the sudden, it accepted it... Crazy shit......

Good luck calling, though. You won't understand half the shit they say... Apparently Microsoft is located in the slums of India...

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
just make sure you can get your updates homie... I'm pretty sure you gotta verify your license EVERY time you download an update so I think you might run into problems there (maybe). Gotta look out for them viruses.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
Yeah..just call them and tell them you had to reinstall...

One time I took a XP CD from a dell PC and installed it into my HP PC.

It didn't work like 4-5 times......then all of the sudden, it accepted it... Crazy shit......

Good luck calling, though. You won't understand half the shit they say... Apparently Microsoft is located in the slums of India...
it's not really a good idea to use oem xp cd's, especially dell and especially to a brand new comp/mobo, due to the specific drivers and wasteful recovery space used up.

there are ways to turn an oem into a retail cd which is also dependent on what type of oem you have since ms changed their activation and oem policy.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
It was an old pc with ME.........

So a free Dell OEM XP is better than a highly unstable OS like ME...