VIBE: The Greatest Hip Hop Producer of all time (vote)

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
ahah ! good question ... it's a tough one because their styles and approach to production are so different, but I have to go with Preemo on this one, here's why:

-he's been the most prolific hip hop producer ever !
-also the most consistent (still makes classic tracks today after 21 years in the industry)
-very influential: contributed to Jazz-Rap, Boom Bap NYC sound, ...
-never sold out, always kept it real, even when he worked with pop artists
-can produce for anyone : pop divas, hip hop chicks, underground heads, etc ...
-the music's so addictive, every morning I have to bump some Gangstarr or Jeru, Group Home , etc .... (I admit that lol)

I respect Dre a lot (I used to bump the Chronic, DOC's No One can do it better and NWA a lot) , he's done a lot for the West Coast and there's no question he's a true master but there's two things I would note :

-While his NWA-Death Row materials were great , you can't really say the same about his later work (with the exception of Chronic 2001, altho not as classic as the original), ...

-Def not as prolific as Preemo ... where's Detox ? Why so few placements these days?

Dre or Preemo? anyone?

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Guess that wasnt as loaded a question as I thought lol. I gotta say Dre has "produced" not just "Made Beats" for Snoop, 50 Cent and the highest selling artist since 2000. Dre MADE/produced these guys into premium artists but even bigger, accomplishment wise, they're ALL icons!

I cant speak on beats (at least beat for beat) but Dre is a machine as far as production. either way, they're both at a place, success wise, where its hard for anyone to really imagine what its like.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I say Premo...But by a hair.

I agree with what Excellence has said.

The deciding factor for me was the accessibility to the underground artists. Premo would do a track for an underground act before Dre would.

Both are my top two favorite producers, with Pete Rock being a close 3rd.

So I will be voting Premo in the Finals...because there's no way the Neptunes (whom I highly respect) can beat Premo.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
The fact that Dre beat Primo that badly saddens me.

It could've gone either way....But that is a huge difference....Like 2 to 1 for Dre..that's crazy..

members online