Vinyl VS Digital DJing

TACTIK

The most unique producer on here
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 527
Playing just vinyl is well respected and always looked at as being a REAL DJ...
But this is the new millennium and DJs are changing!

For about 10 years I've been so anti digital playlist DJs and all about mixing vinyl only! I will still play vinyl only events depending on the theme sometimes...but I have FINALLY started going digital, mainly so I can start mixing my own beats with other songs at shows and parties (which is much more fun for everyone). At first I just had to keep using my 1200's with the control vinyl just so I could like a REAL DJ. Then I tried mixing with an all digital mixer with no 1200's and was blown away with how much better the mixing process was! Scratching isn't as near as fun on the digital mixers, but I can always bring an old mixer and turntable to a show if someone really needed me to throw down cuts for their set. At this point it was time I stopped caring about my looks as a DJ but more about the sound of a DJ.

Since almost anything can be downloaded from YouTube at this point, I'll save my extra vinyl cash for rare sample digs. I always have a variety of music available for a set and always against using playlists. Many DJs like to say "I don't do requests" and I've been there...but if some hot girl comes up to me and asks to play something for her, downloading it will take only a few seconds (and I may even get a phone number out of it)! I think most DJs don't do requests because they want people thinking every song is their choice. Now dont get me wrong, there are lots of mainstream songs I will not play but still...There are many ways to play a request to make it obvious it's not the DJs choice! Pleasing the crowd is a DJs job.

Now I'm ready to sell my SL-2 mixer and stop carrying my damn turntable coffin to events all of the time (and save my back)! The 4 channel Reloop mixer I have for Serato is amazing (and light). It's much different to mix without moving control vinyls, but has much more amazing capabilities. I want to focus on performing by mixing on Serato more and even using my APC40 on Live. I think it's time to step it up a notch let technology advance things a lil bit for a change!

How do YOU feel about Vinyl VS Digital DJing today?

Head Nod Shit 06.jpg
FreeDJ.jpg
Aesthetegeist.jpg

Tashas.jpg

Last edited:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Good read!

So you're using just the Reloop mixer now? I thought about getting something like that since everything is all in one but I'm still on the fence. I think the biggest things for me would be how small the whole thing is, as well as how the faders are. How's the Reloop?

TACTIK

The most unique producer on here
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 527
It's dope, slides right into a milk crate for easy carrying. It has 4 channels which had me assume I could plug 2 turntables into it and use the crossfader, but I was wrong! So I was kinda forced to use just serato which was probably a good thing. Its great because it works as a soundcard too. I can even use it as a MIDI controller. The crossfader is decent, nothing like those magnetic Rane faders but its decent. It has some good que point buttons and effects too. The best thing about it is how your able to mix just the tempo or just the pitch instead of both if necessary! That has made the sound of mixing sound better than ever for me.

Last edited:

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Sorry for resurecting a dead post... LOL

I've put beatmaking on the side for a while to start DJing and I took the digital route on the get go. Obviously, some DJs of the older generation are calling me fake since I don't use 1200's at all (no need for that in 2014, sorry). Now, my goal is to practice scratching and various ways of mixing 2 beats together.

Oh, and I use a DJ Controller. Numark N4! Midrange quality, good sound, XLR ins, RCA ins, I can plug turntables ou CDJs if I want...

members online