Vinyl VS. MP3

Artistix

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 11
Does nybody think there is a diffrerence between the 2. I mean I don't use vinyl but instead I get the songs on MP3. Do anybody believe that either is better then the other or believe that the outcome of the beat would be effected depending on how you got your sample. And does anybody believe that mp3s will take over for vinyl like CD's and DVD's did Tapes?

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 38
me personally, i think sampling off vinyl has a "warmer" feel to it. the crackles and hisses make the track more "full". ive sampled off mp3's too and thats good in its own way as well but.... i would rather sample of vinyl. especially off 45's coz they have a fuller sound to it because the grooves are more spaced out on 45's.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
vinyl got that dirty sound. plus, theres alot of shit on vinyl that you probly never have heard of, let alone be able to get the mp3 of it. vinyl will always be around as long as there are producers and djs.

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Yeah, I live by vinyl too.. I like the analog sound and the hiss and crackles of an old record.. I have sampled off of mp3 format but I perfer vinyl.. And like Clev said, you'll find alot more rare stuff on vinyl then mp3.. That's important cause I don't know about you but I'm sick of hearing people use the same samples again and again..

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
A low quality mp3 sounds shitty in a digital way. a dusty record can be hot.

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
cleverwon said:
A low quality mp3 sounds shitty in a digital way. a dusty record can be hot.

Exactly!!!!! plus, like you said cleve, not everything on vinyl has been converted to mp3. if it was converted to an MP3, most likely that song aint rare coz people switch it to mp3 to share it. not too many people convert album fillers on the vinyl to mp3 coz they know not too many people would want it.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
there's no way that there ever will be able to get thoose old golden gems on mp3.

anyway, if a record is ripped directly from vinyl to mp3, you'll still get that dirty sound.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
yall have valid points but your missing the bigger picture

It depends on the qualitity of the sample source, it really dosent matter what meduim it comes from(vinyal, CD etc..) of its mp3,wav etc... What matters is the sound qualitity of the actual sample when its converted to the the digital medium

most of the vinyal stuff we sample is in mp3 or wav format anyway, u just recorded it directy from your turn table, if the qualitiy of the sample is good, then your good to go

Arguing over MP3 vs Vinyal really dosent make sense casue all the stuff we sample(even vinyal)ends up in mp3 or wav format

class..

djryval

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i always record my vinyl samples into wav files first. for me, it always sounds like i'm losing quality when sampling an mp3. can anyone tell the difference between a wav file and a 320 bitrate mp3 file?

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
a 192 mp3 is aiight too think of it this way a cd is only at 96kps so a mp3 a3 192 is that mus more it hink any thing after that u get that digital noise i dunno how to explainit tho

Da IllFellaz

Knee Deep In Da Beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 125
mp3 is shitty quality but shit, ive sampled a BUNCH of mp3's. shit, ill sample anythin. id much rather prefer vinyl cause dat sound CANNOT n WILL not EVER be duplicated. theres also WAY MORE vinyl than mp3. they both ok to use but id rather use da wax.

nomics

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Yea, if you record a sample from vinyl to wav format its digital but its from an actual record. That sound cant be duplicated like nomics said. Take the same song and record one from a cassette, cd, 8 track whatever. save it as a wav. now do the same thing from a record. Def two different sounding versions regardless of what type of file you ultimately save it as.

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
classic said:
Arguing over MP3 vs Vinyal really dosent make sense casue all the stuff we sample(even vinyal)ends up in mp3 or wav format

class..

i think what homeboy meant with the mp3 diggin' is when he downloads mp3s from like, soul seek or any other one of those share ware programs. not necessarily converting a song from one format to mp3. but im not sure though. thats how i understood the question.

WORDAMOUPH

NUPHONIX PRODUKTIONS
ill o.g.
If Ur Talking Bout Sound Quality, Obviously Any Digital Format Is Going To Sound Alot Better, But Sometimes When Ur Sampling U Want That Rugged Sound, It Gives A Track That Grimeyness( If Thats A Word) But I Sample From Both, But Mostly Vynil. Theres Is Just Something About Having A Room Fool Of Stacked Records And Waking Up In The Morning Picking A Random Record And Start Flippin It, Its The Essence Of It,

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I dig.....But...I use mp3 too....and I got some people that told me they used mp3....when i heard the beats first.....then they told me....I couldnt really tell the diff....ater you process a mix even after resampling a vinyl record you instantly degrade the original sound that would have been just playing off the needle LOL but what the hell....this debate could be like splitting hairs...because you can use filters on a vinyl sample and ona mp3....hard to tell the difference of the source...

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
there are places in the 'newsgroup' resources where you can find some very rare mp3's from international sources, and even FLACS. Flacs are uncompressed files that can be found that are perfect. samples, records are not my problem. its the millisecond perfection within my own mind that i contest with.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
The only mp3s ive ever used were for introductions and little nuances in the beginning or ending of a track....I choose vinyl over mp3 anyday....IMO mp3s are shit. Sure, u can get the highest compressed bitrate available and if the the source is well composed, the compressed version will sound great too, but in comparison to vinyl its just bushleague. Also, vinyl is "consistant" for the most part, mp3 isnt...Vinyl will always sound the same and have the same characteristic that we all love. PLUS: The probability of mad other people having the same shitty sample is inevitable since your most likely obtaining an mp3 off of a file sharing prgm in the first place....Cuz if u have the OG source already why degrade its quality by turning it into an mp3 instead of using its full-quality wav., if quality is what your after anways??....So like i said, if its an Mp3 its most likely already been raped and pillaged far more then your nice record collection which is another reason i favor vinyl far more. To me all that mp3s are really good for is yer iPod and filedownloads/sharing....Other than that, theres no true authentic quality to it, like there is vinyl.

STEEZARIFIC

KurtisRich

Pussy Monster
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 13
It doesn't matter where or how you sample songs, all it matters is how it will sound when the beat is finished. But as for me, I also stick to vinyls for most of my samples, but, when I cant find a certain sample on record, then I would search for the mp3 and sample off of that. So either way you win. But as for DJ'n, it's strickly vinyl. Stick to the artform.

E

Equality 7-2521

mp3 is much lower quality compared to wav no matter what the source is. mp3 is lossy compression. the inferiority of mp3 is most obvious in low level sounds and top end. put the same sample side by side, one mp3 and one wav from vynil and the quality of wav from vynil will kill the mp3.

mp3 is for weenies. nuff said.

members online