Vocal processing

Helios

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I wonder how the most experienced of yall are processing their vocals, because I got a Rode NTK and I only use the preamp of my digi 002, and still it doesn't sound so nice to me.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
k, at da studio where i been at, dey aint really down wit dat digital stuff, da digi002 etc.. hey jus get a gd pre-amp where ull run da mic b4 runnin it in2 da pc or multi-trck.i tink dat built in pre-amp , bein built in wasnt really worked on to provide da best quality, jus get an external one. hey u shud also chk da environment u recordin in, is it a booth etc..
am sure there r mo xperienced users here wholl b able 2 help u in a much betta way

light

Producer
ill o.g.
yo. i didnt post cause it said most experianced and i think im only half experianced. to get a fatter sound id use a tube preamp. but you can make it sound nice with pro tools' plugins.

go to your mix screen. above the mixers theres channels where you can add plug-ins. id start by putting a compressor online with your vocal track. bump up the gain to the highest point without getting any peaking. this is very important in the digital realm. then you can adjust the curve to add a bit more compression you may be able to bump the gain a bit more after that.

then id say put an eq in there and make some standard vocal eqing. theres a thread just recently about that. then put a re-verb on that same track. a room reverb. with about a 200ms decay..
see how that works

Helios

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I take the main voice track, put it on 2 tracks, the firtst one paned slightly to the left, the other slightly to the right
Then I take another voicetrack (doubled the main voicetrack), slam it right in the middle, put some reverb in it.
After that I'm working with some additionnal voicetrack to improve the voice.

afriquedeluxe the micpreamp integrated in the digi002 is really nice, at the moment I ain't got the money to buy another one.

light thx

But are some of yalll using an EXCITER?
I'm compressing and eq'ing my vocals too.

BTW I'm still on the look out for a nice harmonizer plugin, protools or cubase.