Waddup :)

Atypical NY-based producer here - female + older than most. I'm an east coast 90s hip-hop head and I just started making my own beats to write songs. When I sing (I *try* lol) it tends to sound like jazz and Broadway tunes. That, with hip-hop. :rolleyes: Hopefully this is a friendlier community - just trying to learn as much as I can.

Atypical NY-based producer here - female + older than most. I'm an east coast 90s hip-hop head and I just started making my own beats to write songs. When I sing (I *try* lol) it tends to sound like jazz and Broadway tunes. That, with hip-hop. :rolleyes: Hopefully this is a friendlier community - just trying to learn as much as I can.
So you've been writing songs first and then started making beats or... ? also welcome.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Welcome @OneHipSista, what's your musical backstory and what's the scene like where you are in NY?

Last edited:
Welcome there's plenty o resources here, this is the site

So you've been writing songs first and then started making beats or... ? also welcome.
Pretty much. Started as something fun/creative using royalty free tracks, but the licensing can get complicated. Someone asked me to send them a song to play in a live stream and I didn't because I didn't have total ownership. It probably would have been ok, but if I ever want to distribute anything in the future, I want to own it. And thanks for the welcome!

Welcome @OneHipSista, what's your musical backstory and what's the scene like where you are in NY?
@OGBama Thank you for sharing this site. I recently decided to explore my musical talents seriously. I'd been writing simple songs, but just started making beats (JOY). I'm still assembling my production toolbox (software/hardware). I played a musical instrument MANY years ago so I am relearning music theory, scales, intervals, composition, etc. so I can make better music. I'm not singer, like I don't "saaang" lol, but I'm learning to sing. Need to improve in order to get my song ideas across. I find forums like this one so helpful for recommendations, hearing what others are creating, quick help, etc. I'm in a rural area of NY, so not sure what's happening musically. I know some dope producers tho...

OGBama

Big Clit Energy