warming up tracks

nas2000xl

The Ripper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
all of you computer users that make your tracks and record on computers. have you ever thought about warming up your tracks or recordings. as for me when i record in digital i have to warm my tracks up cause that plain old digital sound just urks me. thats why the adats are so popular in my lab. right now i`m looking for a 30ips 2 trak 2 inch tape deck to mixdown to. warmth makes tracks sound thicker & fuller.

voorheezMP

M.ilitia P.roductions
ill o.g.
Them bois don't know nothing about that sh*t breeze.....lol

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Can't say anything about warming up with gear, but I use the Cakewalk Audio FX Tape Simulator plugin. Works real well, they have the different tape speeds to choose from. Are you using any sort of software plugins at all?

nas2000xl

The Ripper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
yea fade use the same plugin also blue tubes plugins which is as close to vintage gear as you can get. it comes as a bundle and has compressors, limiters, eq`s , some nice vintage delays chorus, flanger. this bundle will definitely add warmth to your mix.

ill o.g.
I used to record my stuff on a tape deck from the output of the computer and then record the tape playback on the input of the computer, then i would edit out any hum or clicks. Now i dont do it because i decided im not good enough to worry about the sound quality. So i dont do that no more. The closest i get to analog sound (even though id have analog over digital any day) is puttin the empty space of vinyl (clicking/popping type noise) consant through the whole track.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
"Now i dont do it because i decided im not good enough to worry about the sound quality"

I feel that i dont even fuck around thinking about going to a studio i just try and make shit right stylistically 1st once i feel im consistently making music i like than ill start to be more concerned with mastering the tracks i make.

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Vintage Warmer and Antares Tube are very good plugins for adding some analogish sound to your digital tracks. Another option is to use a good analog console like a soundcraft ghost or maybe something from allen & health and run your audio output from your workstation into separate channels on the console (getting fat analog sound from preamps on each channel) and then mixdown to a tape machine, adat, external CDR whatever. Or you could do what nas suggested and do a mixdown directly to an analog tape machine. A cheap but effective method is to mixdown to a HiFi 4 head VCR, it's wide magnetic tape which does have a compressor builtin and will add some analog color to your sound as well.

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
^^^^isnt there a machine in reason that you can use to give more warmth for your track? Also if I decide to use that Antares Tube do i have to get Rewire if I plan to use Reason with it?

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I'm not sure about what analog effects are available in Reason, I don't have it, but I know that Antares Tube will not be compatible with Reason v1.0 or 2.5, since they don't support VST or DirectX plugins. Whenever the next version of Reason comes out I'm sure they will include that VST support because that's a huge limitation in my opinion (I'm sure other people feel very differently), but you can use Antares Tube in your favorite Rewire host Cubase SX, Sonar, etc on your Reason tracks.

K

k-kruz

I just copped an avalon 747 and it made me never ever use another plug in on my computer again. I highly recommend saving for one of these bad boys.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
i demoed the antares tube and i dont like it one bit...i think it was made for guitars because the moment u startt adding warmth... it start cracking and sounjding like crap... at least on the beat i used it on... i like steinerg true tape and the blue tubes were nicer.. the aantares tube is too strong in my opinion... i like subtle effects....maybe im not using it coorectly but it did not work for me at all

members online

No members online now.