Warzone Beat Battle - April 1-2, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Congrats Deuces. @2GooD Productions

Really did not expect this beat from you.

I think i voted against it in R2 'cause I thought it sounded a bit too slow and the upper mids were too low. But when I listened in latter rounds felt differently, got my vote in final.

@Vossi Beats dope beat. Read back in thread for my thoughts on trumpets haha. You used this beat before or?

Vossi Beats

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 238
I think the sample is really nice. But the horns/trumpets are reaaally corny.

I tell people trumpets are like the most trickiest instrument to get right... even really real ones can sound real corny real easy.
Saxophone is way harder bro, to get it balanced in the eq as well as blending with everything else. Nothing gives me more trouble than that damn sax
They sound a bit fake to me.

I think they needed to be played and mixed a little different to really fit them to the beat.

I used to face that issue a lot when using them, that's why i use them only occasionally.
The trumpets were exactly as I wanted them. Really liked how they fit in with the other instruments and filled out the space behind and around them. According to my ears at least, but yeah I'm definitely not claiming to be a mixing pro or anything like that. Still have much to learn down the road
Thanks for the votes, didnt think I would win it. Really dope beat @Vossi Beats the brass could have used a bit of reverb.
Congrats on the win! I had a phone call that lasted more than an hour so didn't even get to vote in the finals. I liked your beat a lot tho, but man I felt like I had it this time right from the start. But that's how it goes. Sometimes the illmuzik gods work in mysterious ways

Btw all I have for mixing is my M audio BX5's and some headphones and I'm in my living room so no real audio treatment other than some foam on the wall behind the speakers and on the side wall. But to me the mix was spot on in my beat, and I really liked how the trumpets sounded. Had a lot of lofi and saturation on it, but that was on purpose, I wanted it to sound spacey and "bland" but not boring. If that makes any sense.
But yeah, maybe you guys have speakers that show the frequencies better than mine? It's not like I'm working with top of the line lol

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Saxophone is way harder bro, to get it balanced in the eq as well as blending with everything else. Nothing gives me more trouble than that damn sax

Bro, fully agree. Sax is a mfer too. Like, for both of them, I find I have to do some really aggressive and very hooky line. Hard to explain what specifically i do to make them sound 'right' to my ears. It's mostly just playing it until it sounds right.
I had a beat where I thought I managed it fine, and someone said the trumpets sound like toys or something. So.

The trumpets were exactly as I wanted them. Really liked how they fit in with the other instruments and filled out the space behind and around them. According to my ears at least, but yeah I'm definitely not claiming to be a mixing pro or anything like that. Still have much to learn down the road
Btw all I have for mixing is my M audio BX5's and some headphones and I'm in my living room so no real audio treatment other than some foam on the wall behind the speakers and on the side wall. But to me the mix was spot on in my beat, and I really liked how the trumpets sounded. Had a lot of lofi and saturation on it, but that was on purpose, I wanted it to sound spacey and "bland" but not boring. If that makes any sense.
But yeah, maybe you guys have speakers that show the frequencies better than mine? It's not like I'm working with top of the line lol

Mix was good bro!
You should see my mixing set-up... it's horrendous. But I'm somewhat used to it. Like I said mix was good.

StoneLockProd

New to the site
Battle Points: 34
anybody wanna give me some critique? I'd much appreciate it.. i'm on like a 10 beat losing streak... it's getting obnoxious. lol

StoneLockProd

New to the site
Battle Points: 34
just got back from the studio, its a bit late to be playing them now. Ill have a listen tomorrow and drop some feedback.
Lebron James Hug GIF by NBA

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
anybody wanna give me some critique? I'd much appreciate it.. i'm on like a 10 beat losing streak... it's getting obnoxious. lol
At first, it could do with having some sound... oh wait, *turns speakers on* that's better :woot:

Okay, so overall this is a pretty cool beat, actually in some places it's really dope imho. My kinda thing. Especially when the higher octave synth comes in.

My only critique would be with the mix.
I think the side pads maybe a little overbearing and can easily get fatiguing on the ear. Maybe it'd need a reduce in either/or overall level, or have a slight cut at the 3-6k mark so it isn't so tiring on the ear --- with a sound that is so constant and prominent, this is a key thing to consider.
The drums do sound nice, but play the background a bit too much, which maybe makes the whole record sound more like something that'd be great in a movie score (i can see this). Maybe if the kick was more syncopated this could influence it sounding like more of a 'beat' from a musical point of view. But also if the drums knocked more it would also help it sound more like a 'beat'.

Listening to it against YannFer in round 1, both tracks really great, I think a crucial thing being the mix maybe made your beat lean more towards film score with that great atmosphere, I think more upfront drums could have helped this.
I think I voted for your beat in Round2 (i think I missed most of R1 voting).

Yeah, overall I think it's a really good beat/piece of music. I actually really enjoy it. Only thing I could maybe put it all down to is the mix (not that it's a bad mix, it's a decent mix, but maybe it's the wrong mix.) And sometimes it could just be down to some weird or initial preference from the voters.

I've put in some absolute fucking bangers before. And they've like, not placed, or not won in a 1v1 on warzone that have left me real perplexed -- ones where you feel it's objectively better. So don't take all results so matter-of-fact, sometimes there's nothing much to learn other than sometimes peoples preference in that moment is just basic or whatever. Sometimes you can learn how to make your tracks add things that appeal, but also don't become too focused on 'making something that'll win a battle', and just focus on making good music. Sometimes you'll get 1 person going 'omg this beat is so amazing' and that's massive, so value those even if you lose. And if you lose/get no love, ask for feedback like you have done... 'cause you may find out that things aren't as bad as they look.

Like i said, genuinely, really nice beat. I fuck with it.

@StoneLockProd I agree with Iron Keys here. Its a good beat, put together well, nice variation, What lets it down most for me like Iron said is the mix, the drums, while good, are so far back in the mix they are almost washed out by everything else.
Its a high energy beat, the drums should match that energy and the drum sounds you have would be great if mixed better.
I would suggest trying to mix it again, but start with the drums, make sure they are up front, hip hop is a rhythm oriented genre, then fit everything else around the drums, making sure they stay right up front.

@Delta_Nine Sorry man, I did it again. Your beat for this one just lacked that "WARZONE" edge. A bit laid back, dope to smoke too, but getting an edge in a battle not so much.

@TjombaBeats This is a dope beat, but it gets very electronic very quickly. I dont think people are ready for this yet, give it ten years.

@InnerThug Dope beat, drums hit nicely. But this one too has a vibe that isnt so well suited to battling so when facing a harder beat it could suffer and maybe did.

@Iron Keys once again I knew this was you straight away, got my vote in one or 2 rounds cant remember now. Got Ice Cube written all over it, send it to him. I did an Ice Cube "type" beat the other day. Sorry to knock you out in round three, actually no Im not, give my fucking throne back. Thanks for keeping the seat warm.

@3mpireV This beat goes hard, one of my favorites from the battle, I had a few favorites, was a good battle.
Drums could have hit harder though.

@Mefisto Beats I really liked this beat, one problem, its distorting or at least sounds like it when compared to other beats, very muddy. I cant put my finger on it but something makes it unpleasant to the ear, I think its just too loud and clipping inside the DAW.

@InsideOutBeats Once the piano comes in sounds dope. Sounds a bit empty before that. Because the drums are such a big part of this beat Id try to make that kick bang like a mf. Keep grinding though man, its not a bad beat considering you aint been doing it long.

@Tarboosh Record This is really dope another of my favourites of the battle. Was scared of this and @Vossi Beats track. My only critique would be that maybe you over did it with vocal samples and the mix could be a bit better.

@Vossi Beats Probably the cleanest best mixed beat in the battle IMO, a real quality piece of work, stood out against everything else for me. Love the panned drum fills, classy. The trumpets work well for me, sounds okay on monitors, but when I listened in headphones the trumpets sounded slightly dry, or just cut off a little sharp, so suggest reverb to take that edge of the sudden cut off. I have no critique other than that, quality beat, I thought you had me.

@Kane the MOD Beautiful beat, this would be a contender for me but its such a chill beat. This is my favourite behind @Vossi Beats it just doesnt have a battle vibe. Also its a little short. But I like it a lot regardless.

@Addictive Vibez Dope beat but I think the piano is too overpowering for the drums, and then you layer more on, drowning out the drums even more. Very short beat, could have been longer, has a lot of potential.

@YannFer Another of my favorites, but where is the low end? Sounds really clean and polished, but there is no low end. Seems like a beat made to target the phone audience, not necessarily a bad thing. Could probably push the beat pretty loud without the low lows. Any way, dope beat, I love it.

@sicalbeats Real nice oldskool beat, I found it got a little repetitive and wasnt really in a battle vibe. But welcome to ill, you made it to the finals, congrats.

@Bolo Beats Dope oldskool beat but its really distorting, thats what ruins it.

Last edited:

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Got Ice Cube written all over it, send it to him.
Got his email? :woot:

Sorry to knock you out in round three, actually no Im not, give my fucking throne back. Thanks for keeping the seat warm.
You will be.

It's alright, you can move the sofa back to where you like it now :LOL:

Make sure it's somewhere scenic though, 'cause I'm having it back next time.

Got his email? :woot:
So you cant try finding him on one of the many social media platforms first?

I just googled "contact ice cube" lol
scroll to the bottom of the page, all social media links are there.
you and him should make an album

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad
Battle Points: 5
@StoneLockProd I agree with Iron Keys here. Its a good beat, put together well, nice variation, What lets it down most for me like Iron said is the mix, the drums, while good, are so far back in the mix they are almost washed out by everything else.
Its a high energy beat, the drums should match that energy and the drum sounds you have would be great if mixed better.
I would suggest trying to mix it again, but start with the drums, make sure they are up front, hip hop is a rhythm oriented genre, then fit everything else around the drums, making sure they stay right up front.

@Delta_Nine Sorry man, I did it again. Your beat for this one just lacked that "WARZONE" edge. A bit laid back, dope to smoke too, but getting an edge in a battle not so much.

@TjombaBeats This is a dope beat, but it gets very electronic very quickly. I dont think people are ready for this yet, give it ten years.

@InnerThug Dope beat, drums hit nicely. But this one too has a vibe that isnt so well suited to battling so when facing a harder beat it could suffer and maybe did.

@Iron Keys once again I knew this was you straight away, got my vote in one or 2 rounds cant remember now. Got Ice Cube written all over it, send it to him. I did an Ice Cube "type" beat the other day. Sorry to knock you out in round three, actually no Im not, give my fucking throne back. Thanks for keeping the seat warm.

@3mpireV This beat goes hard, one of my favorites from the battle, I had a few favorites, was a good battle.
Drums could have hit harder though.

@Mefisto Beats I really liked this beat, one problem, its distorting or at least sounds like it when compared to other beats, very muddy. I cant put my finger on it but something makes it unpleasant to the ear, I think its just too loud and clipping inside the DAW.

@InsideOutBeats Once the piano comes in sounds dope. Sounds a bit empty before that. Because the drums are such a big part of this beat Id try to make that kick bang like a mf. Keep grinding though man, its not a bad beat considering you aint been doing it long.

@Tarboosh Record This is really dope another of my favourites of the battle. Was scared of this and @Vossi Beats track. My only critique would be that maybe you over did it with vocal samples and the mix could be a bit better.

@Vossi Beats Probably the cleanest best mixed beat in the battle IMO, a real quality piece of work, stood out against everything else for me. Love the panned drum fills, classy. The trumpets work well for me, sounds okay on monitors, but when I listened in headphones the trumpets sounded slightly dry, or just cut off a little sharp, so suggest reverb to take that edge of the sudden cut off. I have no critique other than that, quality beat, I thought you had me.

@Kane the MOD Beautiful beat, this would be a contender for me but its such a chill beat. This is my favourite behind @Vossi Beats it just doesnt have a battle vibe. Also its a little short. But I like it a lot regardless.

@Addictive Vibez Dope beat but I think the piano is too overpowering for the drums, and then you layer more on, drowning out the drums even more. Very short beat, could have been longer, has a lot of potential.

@YannFer Another of my favorites, but where is the low end? Sounds really clean and polished, but there is no low end. Seems like a beat made to target the phone audience, not necessarily a bad thing. Could probably push the beat pretty loud without the low lows. Any way, dope beat, I love it.

@sicalbeats Real nice oldskool beat, I found it got a little repetitive and wasnt really in a battle vibe. But welcome to ill, you made it to the finals, congrats.

@Bolo Beats Dope oldskool beat but its really distorting, thats what ruins it.
Thank you for the kind review. This means a lot to me.
Congratulations for the victory. You deserved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.