Warzone Beat Battle - January 5-6, 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWU

The.Widely.Unknown
That Whorezone beat, gahd damnit... Could use a slam on the limiter but without a doubt winner for me.

Q Tip Yes GIF by MOODMAN

DiFKiNCHi

Beatmaker
Battle Points: 34
Gg everyone. I was deflated after hearing my 1st round opponent. Damn that shit is fire. I have something that sounds similar. That one intro was all time classic too.

Last edited:
Could I get some feed back in my beat please ILLienz. Reason being I messed about with a lot of experimenting this time. Drums, I added a lot of saturation / soft clipping, wondering if I went too far or not.

I liked the change in sound but doesn’t mean that translates well elsewhere.
Listening to my beat on the challenge I also noticed I went a bit ‘full retard’ with the bass, perhaps a less bouncy rhythm.

Anyway, all feedback highly appreciated from you talented mofos.

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133
Could I get some feed back in my beat please ILLienz. Reason being I messed about with a lot of experimenting this time. Drums, I added a lot of saturation / soft clipping, wondering if I went too far or not.

I liked the change in sound but doesn’t mean that translates well elsewhere.
Listening to my beat on the challenge I also noticed I went a bit ‘full retard’ with the bass, perhaps a less bouncy rhythm.

Here's my 2 cents:
  • When you oversaturate and hard clip you destroy all dynamics. Not very pleasing to the ears.
  • Hi-Hats needed some EQing. Way too bright and ear piercing.
  • Melody was boring and didn't really get me hyped or catch my attention (subjective).
  • All I could hear was low-end rumble with no real definition.

Thanks @VVS appreciated. The melody I can fully understand as I’m playing that myself over the pads where as often I would find a sample or 2 and chop them up.

Think I will return to sampling most. I mean some people like to throw loops in and I’m not shitting on that but I want to ‘direct’ it more myself. However, I recognise I’m not Scott Storch or Zaytoven when trying to play my own melody’s.

Definitely messed around with the saturation too much and got carried away.
Cheers for the feedback!

Reactions: VVS

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544

The mix feels a little flabby and uncontrolled to me.

Often this comes from heavy limiting at the end, or overemphasising everything.

Drums ain't too bad, hats don't sound harsh to me... but sound louder than most mixes on my headphones - so potential for sounding harsh elsewhere, maybe just due to their level.

Bass sounds a bit flabby, if you're trying to get a lot of that 'movement' in it, you need to tighten it up a bit so that the bounce is more defined - I almost couldn't notice the bounce and only really did because I knew you mentioned it.
This is because the boomy/balloony bass tails are kind of merging into eachother and thus losing the definition - at first I assumed it was just a bassline that was flabbing about due to overcompression caused by the kick.

I hate bass sometimes, some synths or samples I have seem to make horrible sounds which I can tame for certain notes but not all. So it can be tricky to get right.

By tightening up the bass tails or by notching out (with eq) some of that flabby could lead to a more defined sound. Perhaps getting th3 correct compression settings too.

I don't think the drums are bad, kick seems to punch, the snare seems a little smeary, doesn't sound like it doesn't work for me, but if you wanted more snap in it you'd have to maybe parallel that in.

Read over the above with the mind that mixing is about compromise (I hate that), for example, boomy bass vs definition, loudness vs smeared transients/punch, deep warmth vs mud.

Listen really REALLY close when you clip/saturate your drums. Pay attention to the subtle punch you lose (or don't) then ask yourself is what you lost worth the extra dB you gained. Sometimes it is. Sometimes not.

Recently I went a bit insane and tried to have it all with clipping and squishing combined with Transient enhancement to put it all back together and clip it.

Butyeah mixing is a battle of compromise.

But when it comes to your 2bus, remember to be subtle.

And always *listen* and ask yourself questions when mixing.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
I want to ‘direct’ it more myself. However, I recognise I’m not Scott Storch or Zaytoven when trying to play my own melody’s.

Oh, and musically it was fine. Kinda catchy. The melody and bassline is stuck in my head after giving feedback. And the pattern. It's good.

It wasn't that hit melody... but we don't always have those. They will come tho.

Maybe SAVE your track as a new file, delete all the midi and make a new beat using the same setup - sometimes doing this ends up with a better beat. (For me anyway), cause now you already have the sounds that gel, so it's easier to make the music.

Status
Not open for further replies.