We Are In Deep Tish

nas2000xl

The Ripper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Don`t know how true this really is, but its suposed to be going on right now in the UK. What? Is it time for the rapture?

Basically, since October 31 2003, it is now a criminal offence to turn old vinyl into CD unless you have the express permission of the copyright holders.
It is also illegal to own any device "capable of circumventing technological copy protection measures". Such as a ripper, a DAT machine that can switch off the SCMS measures, the list goes on.
WaveLab's ripper is not illegal as there is a "theoretical legal use" for the ripper, as you may want to extract audio from a CD that you made of your own music.

Copying CD's under copyright, making a CD of Vinyl etc. is now a criminal offence.

The penalties are severe, and about to get worse. Copyright holders are to be given the right to enter your home, sieze all your assets and freeze your bank accounts. The onus of proving you do not use your PC to illegally rip CD's, download files etc. is entirely on you.

We have been hit with a cease & desist order, by the UK patent office, telling us we can not offer a Vinyl to CD service for consumers. Max penalty is an unlimited fine & up to 10 years in Jail
"section 296ZB.
A person commits an offence (Criminal) if he -
a/. manufactures for sale or hire, or
b/. imports otherwise than for private use, or
c/. in the course of a busines..
i- sells or lets for hire
ii offers or exposes for sale or hire
iii advertises for sale or hire
iv possesses or
v distributes

any device or component which is primarily designed, produced or adapted for the purpose of enabling or facilitating the circumvention of effective technological measures"

etc.
it goes on to cover every possible aspect of equipment that is capable of making direct or exact copies.

BTW, section 296ZC goes on to include "unauthorized decoders shall be construed as references to devices" etc.

Basically, it is covered up tighter than a duck's bum (or did I offend someone??).

There is legislation going through currently that will give copyright holders entry/siezure/freezing of bank account rights.

Sorry guys & gals, but this is FASCIST!
What next?

Why can I not legitimately restore damaged vinyl so it can be enjoyed again? I am not affecting anyone here, as if the music was already available then people would not go through me, as we are not cheap!

This law is insane, and will not stop pie rats, nor is it designed to. It is designed to persecute the end user. And me. and anyone else like me.

So, if you own a DAT machine that can strip the SCMS flag, it is now an illegal device. If you own a CD/DVD-+R/W device capable of copying in RAW mode, it is an illegal device.

This is not paranoia, this is happening now.
Coming soon to a town square near you, burning the books that tell you how to do this, as according to section 296 ZD, you commit a criminal offence if you even communicate or make available to the public the means of breaching copyright.
This means it is illegal to even discuss this.

1d3nt1tY

Loop't N Blown
ill o.g.
I just have to say that it's legit but bullshit... I see copyrighting, but a task force built to deal with lil bastards like us should be illegal too hehehe

nm I am jus trippn right now.

boneyboys

50 Million Year Trip
ill o.g.
Theres a lot of kinda "theoretical" laws over here, trust me, that one will not get anyone busted. It will have been put into place to stop people copying like thousands of cds and selling em, organized crime and whatnot. It's pretty much illegal to take your dog for a walk over here, noone does anything about laws like this.

1d3nt1tY

Loop't N Blown
ill o.g.
but the industry is in an uproar boney, there are thousands of gov't agencies that are already raiding and arresting 16 year old girls for downloading music, this shit might be a problem. I understand that the industry needs to make money, but the industry has forever, NEVER given an artist his/her due, plain and simple, but I see where you are comin from.... I say that it's entirely possible to be fucked with now that the music industry isn't raking billions off the top due to mp3...

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Beware: this is only going to get worse, the driving force is the US government, they are focusing more on copyright law, bootlegging and the like WORLDWIDE even more than terrorism, and they are extending their reach to other countries and enforcing local copyright infringement laws and this in turn is forcing foreign governments to increase their efforts to stop leaching etc, there was a huge bust on WAREZ worldwide 2 days ago so I would suggest if you are downloading cracked software etc I would be very careful where you download, but it is going to be harder and harder to get free shidd..software and music alike........

boneyboys

50 Million Year Trip
ill o.g.
Ahh yes, the whole mp3 debacle is quite stunningly stupid, and defo something we should look out for. If record labels either started lowering prices to like 5 quid per cd or started giving decent profits to the artist (which they're not, a lot of people are getting scammed out of money, and someone's taking too big a cut out there) then I'd buy more music, and download less. Something half sensible needs to be done about this, cause suing 15 year olds isn't the way to get people buying records. It should be about promoting buying not preventing downloading. If they carry on with this noones going to want anything to do with the record industry, and then guess who's going to suffer.The RIAA will learn soon enough though when record sales fall even though people download less, and stuff should sort itself out.

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
This is just another indication that we are getting closer and closer to a big-brother-esque dystopian society. The problem is that the music industry are "buggy-whip makers". They are in a dying industry but have friends in very high places. With the proliferation of technology, music is being taken back by the people. People are sick of having to buy whole albums at enormous markups for only a few good songs, especially when the artist never sees much of this money. The internet has allowed independant labels to have more of an impact and a wider distribution network. And then you have people like us, that have studios in our houses that are way more powerful than most big-budget studios of the past. Although I don't like George Michael, he released a news statement not too long ago saying that after this album, he was just gonna give his music away and make his money from shows. He would ask for donations to charities for his music though. I see this as the future of music, because the artists never got much from their sales anyway, they make most of their money from concerts. The record industry is dying and they hate to admit it because it was so easy for them to rape and pillage consumers for so long. They are just sad to see the easy money go. I say "screw them," take the music back. Quit letting the music industry force-feed you your musical tastes through television and the radio, support independants!

C

Copenhagen

Look at Tommy Motola's house or any top executive in the music industry and you will clearly see that they ain't missing any money.
So who are the RIAA really fighting for...really it's for the labels, not the artists.
Also, what they forget is that today we also have DVD's and games too. But people still have the same amount of cash. So of course, a chunk of people's money will be invested in DVD's and games, especially when they make a lot out of these, by offering bonus material, cool soundtracks etc etc., where CD's only contain a few good songs and then a lot of fillers.
Also, by lowering the prices on CD's and making more legal download sites (at reasonable prices), they would certainly get more sales. Also, at the moment, the download sites they do support mostly contain pop and not any sub culture music...so where are we supposed to go?
These jerks thought they could ingore technology...how dumb can you be?
Now it seems that are just working against everything to not loose face.
I have often thought about trying to start an e-mail for people to send on to everybody their know saying that they should boycot buying music in a whole month, just to make a statement.

Fuck, this always get's my blood boiling...

nas2000xl

The Ripper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i just saw on the news last night where they busted a bootleg outfit in philly. the front was a t-shirt store, but in the back a 24hr operation that copied up to 53, 000 cd`s & dvd`s a day. they sell them to the street venders $3.00 per cd & $5.00 per dvd. thy had label execs, fbi, and other big name jerks at the bust.

members online