Week of August 13, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Another sample flippage. I think I am gonna start posting the samples twice a month beginning of Septemeber. I just dont think there is that many people doing them anymore. Remeber I am posting these samples for practice meaning to help improve your sampling. Some People are like I am feeling this sample, which is good, but others who are like I am not feeling this sample. I should be able to post any sample and the idea is for you to experiment and come up with some new techniques not just to get a free sample (which I feel like is happening). And if we do it once a month there will be a lot more people doing it. Anyway heres the sample for this week. Remember to view other peoples tracks when posting your flip........

Title: Ill_sample

www.soundclick.com/grafik

p.s. its an old record there are lots of crackles....

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12
i'm back bitches! summer's been keepin me busy and i haven't had a lot of time for my music, but now it's almost over and i'm comin back with heat. i'ma start off right by getting back in on these samples. if y'all remember then y'all know i'm gonna be bringin some ill flips back up in this piece. let's get this forum hoppin again!

Kohlmon

ill o.g.
yeah this is a bangin sample. it was a pleasure to mess around with. i came up with somethin thats a bit different but i like the way it turned out.

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4313855&q=lo
hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4313855&q=hi

Trinidad- sounds like we basically used the same sample. pretty laid back and i like the chopping. pretty dope.

Tricky Spinz- well the chopping does sound good. im just wondering where the drums were. i guess its just a laid back track or somethin. i think some harder drums would do this track some good as the loops get pretty old. the vocal sample over top is very hot tho.

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
aight, here it is. as you probably know, i only use the sample and don't add any outside instruments (other than drums) and i thought this sample alone was kinda hard to flip into any sort of real bangin beat. so i kinda went with somethin smoother, but still flipped it hard.

enjoy

I Want You

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=145744&songID=4317654

trinidad: i wish you'd chopped it a little more to give it your own feel instead of just speeding up that part of the sample and playing it over and over. i like the vocal flips. i just think you should have chopped the melody a little more. the drums are nice though. they fit real well with the mood of the beat. and i like the overall feel of it. yeah, i like what you did at 2:00 where you really chopped it more and gave it more of your own personal touch there.

kohlman: i kinda like the fx you used in the beginning. that's kinda cool. i'm diggin that. nice touch. those are some hard hittin drums. like i said to trinidad, i wish you'd chopped it a little more instead of keeping the same note sequence that is in the original beat. i like it though.

O

open mind

i liked the sample so i decided to do sumtin with it.
i did a verse part didnt want to spend more time on it because i was not happy with the sound quality of the sample but thats another story i tried to push the highs but then the noise from the record was to loud so thats why i didnt put more work on it.i like my shit to be clear but it was not possible with the sample ok fuck it here it is.

"JPMG Flip1"
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4320875&q=hi

LILW

ill o.g.
O

open mind

LILW
wtf? i cant recognize one single piece of the sample grafik posted.but besides that u got some crazy version of that earth wind n fire joint.

O

open mind

ruimixx:
"one"
that is fucking dope i liked the chops,bassline,drum patterns and changeups very creative and fits well togehter.but the choice for your drum samples was absolutely out of place imo sounds to crips to clean try some dusty dirty stinkin (in a positive way) sampled drum samples from records or try to eq them dirty or sumtin.good work

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
^^Thanks homey, that's a weakness of mine by not taking a little bit more time to chose snares/sounds.

Peace Bro,
Mike

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
What up ya'll.

havent been up on this in a minute. An to Grafik, i appreciate you doin this but it sounds liek it'd be better if you did it less often. personally, im too busy to do every flip and i do have to pick and choose which ones i wanna spend time with.

Do what you need to do though bro.

and the reviews...

Trinidad
This is cool bro. I like the raw vibe of this, the drums make it the sickness. Feelin the drum sounds and the chopping once it gets into it. Nice job bro

Kohlmon
Hell yeah, I'm feelin the drums on this shit too. What happened to this forum? I dont remember the gritty hip hop drums bein dominant lol, but i love this shit. Sample choppage is cool too, everything is coherent. Drum drop is used to nice effect, good stuff man.

Tricky Spins
This was cool bro, I think the bass was a lil loud to me. maybe just shelvin that off a bit in the low end, but other than that it sounded good with what you did to the sample. I agree though, wheres the drums at!?? i think you could rock somethin ill on this with some thick gritty drum kit action.

Open Mind
The bassline was alright on this, but it didnt seem to have its own "rhythmic identity". yeah i definitely made up a term right there, but it seems like the bassline was added in jus to be added in, but it didnt really drive anything in the track. Dont know if that made sense, just my opinon there. It sounds like this could be mixed better all around, like the sample brought up, drums mixed and phattened. I see where its goin though, keep doin you man.

LiLW
I think you meant to post this in the showcase section bro, this is the sample flip section!

Ruimixx
The sample choppage wasnt bad, but i think there could have been more to it. Wasn't really feelin the bassline myself, but to eaches own. Drums werent bad either, just the whole beat itself didnt catch me as much as the others did.

Cool shit guys,

and of course, my short version:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4336746&q=hi

I added two other string samples i sampled myself besides grafiks sample to make this.

Hit me back ya'll,

Peace!!

-5th

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
5th- i'm diggin it man. that's a nice flip. i really like it. that little string stab at the end of the measure really brings that shit together. that's real nice. i like how you flipped this for a totally different vibe. pretty sick in my opinion. nice.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
Thanks tricky, i really appreciate that bro. Yeah i felt the beat needed more to it after i made up an arrangement using just the sample Grafik supplied.

I just kinda go with what i feel the track needs, i think it worked out well in this case.

AMG

God:Mind~Asiatic
ill o.g.
i didn't even now you were doing this!

Kohlmon

ill o.g.
5th- bassline is dope. shit sounds really original and i can def hear someone spittin on that. drums sound top notch. i love all those samples you added on top too. one of the best versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.