Week Of October 5th 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Here's my flip... It's a headphone mix so it may have a few issues.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/201036403286365e/

2Good - Nice flip. I like the extra composition thrown in there it goes well with the sample. Your stuff always sounds mad clean to me. I think I'm a bit the opposite cuz I like having some grime in my tracks. Overall I don't hear anything I dislike about it so I'll leave it at that. Good job.

ForestGlenn

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Ahhh, You know i was waiting like shyt. I really love this section. Yo Im feeling the sample too 2GooD.

Hey 2good i was feeling your track, i think u flipped the sample nice, My favorite part is when pianos come in. I also like how you played with the drums, nice variations.

Yea LowG , your shyt bangs. Hot chops and mos def them drums are dirty. Im on my girls laptop right now and your shyt banged, so I know when i go to the basement im in for a surprise.

Yall did your thing . Big Ups. Let me get busy

Low G. I like this flip, there is plenty of variation. And the emphasis is on the drums. I think the mix on this isnt too bad considering its a headphone mix. Nice flip, kept me interested to the end.

ForestGlenn. I look forward to hearing your flip, from what Ive heard from you so far you are very good at flipping shit up.

T

The Arkitekt

Good Shit Low G, bassline is fucking nice!! just a little cloudy though, as 2good said, not bad for a headphone mix.

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ForestGlenn - I like this flip I only wish that clap was layered with a nice snare or something to make it hit a bit harder. It still has a good vibe to it tho and overall is cool.

ForestGlenn

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ForestGlenn - I like this flip I only wish that clap was layered with a nice snare or something to make it hit a bit harder. It still has a good vibe to it tho and overall is cool.

Thanks LowG. I do hear what your saying when i listen back to it. I did try a snare under it, but it didnt sound right. I should turn that shyt up or eq it a lil bit more so it cuts and hits hard like the kck. Thanks again for your feedback.

Forest. The kick is hitting really hard, maybe a little too hard, Im not sure if there is enough room for the bass stab without it distorting. Besides that, its a good flip, the sample is unrecognisable with the effects you have applied. The track flows along nice with subtle changeups, good shit. I agree about maybe adding a snappy snare, but Im not sure thats really necessary once the volume on the kick is lowered slightly.
Another thing is that it seems a bit empty in the high bass-low mid region, nothing major tho, Im sure an mc would fill the freq range pretty well. Note that Im being over critical because I assume you know what you are doing pretty well, it shows in your work, just offering constructive criticism from another perspective, nothing personal, I respect the skillz. I think some people get the wrong idea when Im being critical, and think Im being big headed or something, Im just trying to help a fellow student of the craft. Peace.

ForestGlenn

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Forest. The kick is hitting really hard, maybe a little too hard, Im not sure if there is enough room for the bass stab without it distorting. Besides that, its a good flip, the sample is unrecognisable with the effects you have applied. The track flows along nice with subtle changeups, good shit. I agree about maybe adding a snappy snare, but Im not sure thats really necessary once the volume on the kick is lowered slightly.
Another thing is that it seems a bit empty in the high bass-low mid region, nothing major tho, Im sure an mc would fill the freq range pretty well. Note that Im being over critical because I assume you know what you are doing pretty well, it shows in your work, just offering constructive criticism from another perspective, nothing personal, I respect the skillz. I think some people get the wrong idea when Im being critical, and think Im being big headed or something, Im just trying to help a fellow student of the craft. Peace.

Word and again good looking on the comments. I know its not personal for one thing what you said was coming from a positive view of the music. Its also funny because the same things you commented on, i was thinking about before i posted it. I was trying something a lil different than what i would do with this sample. It was lil things about this flip while i was making it went in other directions.Not for the bad really. I was gonna play some bass and guitar and a bit more keys over it but it didnt work out so I had to try something else. I am glad that you are feeling though. Peace.

ill o.g.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=658692&songID=6960855 hgeres my take on this song might be a bit distorted keep the volume low

2good - loving the chops i wish the bassline could have been more prominent still awesome

low g - sick as hell loving the bassline and the flanger thing you did with the samples and those drums hit damn hard

forest glen - some of the cuts need to be mixed better but theres alot of potential here i like it

it funny how different all these flips sounds

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^^^ Yeah, that was a nice and mellow vibe right there. Good flip.

McKwai. I think there is too much bass going on here, I had to turn my sub right down. And at a few points it sounds like too much resonance on the sample, Id consider filtering out the bass on the sample a little to take away some of the muddyness too.
It certainly is a short flip, I like where its going and the mixing is cosmetic really, but it will make a lot of difference.
The high resonance on the sample is causing some pops and crackle. Especially when bass is prominent.
Id also consider taking the sample and converting it into seperate samples, especially one for the bass seperate from the mids and highs to give more control over the equing. Id certainly put a little more into the beat, its worth taking further.

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 110
2good - Bass works well with the sample, good job on that. Drums has a nice feel to them, I like how you switch them up. The extra intruments in there work well too. Good track, laid back but not in the typical way.

Low G - The bassline is WOW. Crazy. Could see Wu Tang on this. Everything is on point from my perspective, but I'm through shitty speakers, so don't take my advice on the mix. But the beat is dope as hell.

ForestGlenn - It's different from what I would expect from this sample. The clap is the only thing letting it down in my opinion, the actual sample flip is nice, but the clap is so weak. So basically if you changed the clap or added a snare behind it like Low G said, it would be dope.

MCKwaiChangCane - Bass is tight. Drums seem a bit simple, but they would work well with an emcee on it. I like the way you flipped the sample. Again, like Low G said, it was nice and mellow.

Ok here's my shit. I chopped it up and played it a little, added some drums which I like, then added an Apathy acapella. Don't rag on me too much for the scratching at the end hahaha, was trying it with the Bend Wheel on my MPK and a sample for the first time. http://www.zshare.net/audio/20386941b8150f0b/

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online