Well this was an eye opener. 2 people behind a majority of pop songs today

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I remember this video. Basically, we all suck today lol.

But yeah it's something I've been saying forever about music. It's just not the same. There's many more things involved in how much music today sucks but it really all boils down to formulas.

First off: Awesome thumbnail. Most of this video was bullshit. not to say the things he says Aren't true, most parts are true but not explained to the finest, like the brainwashing part could be a lot more than that or he's overreacting over millenial whoop while he could be focusing on the streaming effects and more important factors on the whole thang.

First off: Awesome thumbnail. Most of this video was bullshit. not to say the things he says Aren't true, most parts are true but not explained to the finest, like the brainwashing part could be a lot more than that or he's overreacting over millenial whoop while he could be focusing on the streaming effects and more important factors on the whole thang.
so what hes saying is basically true, but bullshit. Okay, got it hahahahahaha

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
Yeah it's true and bullshit at the same time. It's rose tinted views on his own perspective (and anyoneelse who agrees).

For example he complained that, in album days you would bump your favourite track the most and after maybe a month the track you used to ignore suddenly became your favourite. Because you had the chance to appreciate it (very true, I've mentioned this loads in the past).

But then he also argues we only liking certain songs because we're forcefully made to hear them. "You never liked it when you first heard it"... well, just like you didn't like the album song when you first heard it; so therein lies the bullshit.

Kinda rose tinted perspectives mixed with facts.

Basically comes off as a "wahh all music is bad only good music was the beatles" type person.

Imho a lot of people who have that mindset often just like bands that all sound the same... oh wow drum kit, guitar, bass, vocal, same sort of vibe. Yeah - real diverse. /sarcasm

Or it's usually some 50 something year old still making beatles music complaining why aint he made it all musicsounds the same yet his music just sounds the same but never left the 60s. Or whatever.

Complaining about hooks n shit. Like back in the days songs like Beatles werent littered with them too.

A lot of back in days albums may not be good either. Lots of people say they didn't really like xyz band next or certain albums etc.

Moaning about music getting simpler. Simpler isn't bad, it could be argued music has refined and become more efficient.

Have to consider communication, art, postmodernism etc etc. Maybe one day there will be a shift in our societal desire that we suddenly favour over elaborate complicated difficult to understand messages.

May be a bit dissonant to fully appreciate a message that looks down upon drum machines and hooks especially in a hiphop community... unless we should all down our mpcs and keyboard to pick up a guitar and start writing 60s poprock ha.

Yeah it's true and bullshit at the same time. It's rose tinted views on his own perspective (and anyoneelse who agrees).

For example he complained that, in album days you would bump your favourite track the most and after maybe a month the track you used to ignore suddenly became your favourite. Because you had the chance to appreciate it (very true, I've mentioned this loads in the past).

But then he also argues we only liking certain songs because we're forcefully made to hear them. "You never liked it when you first heard it"... well, just like you didn't like the album song when you first heard it; so therein lies the bullshit.

Kinda rose tinted perspectives mixed with facts.

Basically comes off as a "wahh all music is bad only good music was the beatles" type person.

Imho a lot of people who have that mindset often just like bands that all sound the same... oh wow drum kit, guitar, bass, vocal, same sort of vibe. Yeah - real diverse. /sarcasm

Or it's usually some 50 something year old still making beatles music complaining why aint he made it all musicsounds the same yet his music just sounds the same but never left the 60s. Or whatever.

Complaining about hooks n shit. Like back in the days songs like Beatles werent littered with them too.

A lot of back in days albums may not be good either. Lots of people say they didn't really like xyz band next or certain albums etc.

Moaning about music getting simpler. Simpler isn't bad, it could be argued music has refined and become more efficient.

Have to consider communication, art, postmodernism etc etc. Maybe one day there will be a shift in our societal desire that we suddenly favour over elaborate complicated difficult to understand messages.

May be a bit dissonant to fully appreciate a message that looks down upon drum machines and hooks especially in a hiphop community... unless we should all down our mpcs and keyboard to pick up a guitar and start writing 60s poprock ha.
Totally agree. the only thing that Is changing and is attacking the music is the way People are changing, and streaming. streams make the money so instead of good music, the business demands Streamable music, music that's either not getting close to distracting you Or music that has so many hooks that ur keeps your near non-exastant attention span busy like it's waving something shiny infront of a monkey. I believe the future of music is pretty much everyone trying to be Billie Eilish but missing every single element that could be appreciated about her unique delivery and Fin's tasteful production. Max martin is just gonna make a formula out of her music and instead of giving space to the artists who write from their own heart and soul, he'll just write some cheesy ass lyrics himself and hand it to fucking katy parry.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
Totally agree. the only thing that Is changing and is attacking the music is the way People are changing, and streaming. streams make the money so instead of good music, the business demands Streamable music, music that's either not getting close to distracting you Or music that has so many hooks that ur keeps your near non-exastant attention span busy like it's waving something shiny infront of a monkey. I believe the future of music is pretty much everyone trying to be Billie Eilish but missing every single element that could be appreciated about her unique delivery and Fin's tasteful production. Max martin is just gonna make a formula out of her music and instead of giving space to the artists who write from their own heart and soul, he'll just write some cheesy ass lyrics himself and hand it to fucking katy parry.

I dunno, man. Popular music largely has always caught us for the catchy stuff... even probably classical music, is those memorable (catchy phrases).

I've always been concerned for the fate of the album as we know/knew it, for now albums can still get me - when i discover a new artist, i shuffle their album on spotify. At first it's a few tracks catching me. But can still get that old phenomena... it's easy to get tired of the catchy ones.

For me, the issue is streaming, but it'll adapt, it's adapting currently. There was no money in it, people jusst want music for free and think it should be free, but then you got loads of advertising, to build stream revenue, and also... and this is a MEGA surprise to me, people are just happy to fucking pay monthly subscriptions to things... netflix, spotify, apple music, whatever. That's a shock to me. But you have to remember, in early days of radio, lot of musicians didn't care for it, 'cause there were hardly any royalties, then radio royalties became the massive revenue thing. So probably similar for streaming.

Also in regards to music, and new styles or conceptual albums. I still think there's room for it. And also with "not needing" record labels or physical/ manafacturing and distribution, you're able to reach wherever. So there's a lot of possibility and a lot difficulty.

Music industry is obviously in a massive transitional state. But music is something that practically all people are into. So it's going to always have significance and thus the potential for someone to know how to generate money from it.

The Martin n dr luke thing, pshhh, no one lives forever. Besides, and they ain't writing for Drake or Kendrick or whoever else ? Pop is pop, whether good or not, dumb people will always be lead or by same tv shows...

The dude going on about beatles... shit is essentially the 1Direction of the 60s and he complaining about pop music? behave