Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 pro active monitors vs. M-Audio StudioPro 4's

djryval

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Before we say the Wharfedales are like night and day compared to the StudioPro's, check out the scenario. Right now we got the StudioPro4's running off of an iMac G5, and also running the iSub for bass (using mopads under all of the cabinets). We are very concerned that our mixes and mastering could be suffering due to the monitors we have now. However, we just don't know how much really and before dropping $300 on the Wharfs, can anyone give me a realistic idea of how much better off we would be with the Wharfedales? Is it going to make a huge difference in what we are hearing and how we make music?

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
the wharfedale should be quite a bit improvement (before this company was bought by some chinese company these speakers would have cost more than a few times their price)

i have event 20/20s with a crown d-75 power amp (had them for years now) and will probably also get some wharfesdales soon and use the events with my digital piano.

if you get them i would be interested to hear how they compare to your current setup

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Your mixin and mastering is still suffering If your room isnt properly build. The nearfields arent your primary problem but secondary.

djryval

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thanks for the comments, we appreciate anything you have to say about it and we'll use it as part of our analysis. anyone else?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
yeah how big is your room, try getting something with dimension 5x7x2,5 in meters hehe, I dunno how many foot that is...

You can change one size as long as the ratio stays the same and also adapt size of nearfield to volume of the room. We're using 1031a's at 40m2 and 6m ceiling, which does very well, so if you're anywhere smaller in roomsize I'd go down a model 10"35/40m2 -> 8" -> 6" drivers for the bedroom techies.

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
unfortunately the luxury of building is one most do not have....... (maybe in a year or so hehe)

something you might also be interested in is the dbx driverack studio..... it also has an rta mic and technical specs of many popular models of monitors so it can tell you how your room is 'out' and make adjustments to help remedy your rooms weaknesses. It can help with stereo image tonal stuff dynamics etc. (also is a good monitor control box with quite decent specs)

not as good as fixing your room but alot cheaper

on the room tip there are quite a few things that can be done on the cheap to help with acoustics

djryval

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I have always been told to never attempt eq monitors so that they are what seems to be accurate to the room. What do you think about that?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Yeah its true for what nearfields are concerned, on bigger controlroom with farfields they tend to use eq, depending what they use of course. It's difficult to say so I'd check with the oem support, if so, you would go for the pricey eq's like Clark Technique and a room analyser (which you could probably rent in order to set the eq stationary).

___

unfortunately the luxury of building is one most do not have....... (maybe in a year or so hehe)

duh, but I had to say it anyway hehe and you never know, we started out in a basement....

something you might also be interested in is the dbx driverack studio..... it also has an rta mic and technical specs of many popular models of monitors so it can tell you how your room is 'out' and make adjustments to help remedy your rooms weaknesses. It can help with stereo image tonal stuff dynamics etc. (also is a good monitor control box with quite decent specs)

^^^^ Rent it hehe

not as good as fixing your room but alot cheaper

What does it cost ?

well, like I said before, you can change sizes of the room. Most ordinary rooms are rectangular, so you can adapt to a ratio according to 5mx7m / 2,5mx3,5m, you do the math hehe but this would at least save a great deal on the acoustics. In all you can just devide 5 by 7 and use that factor to determine what length would change. Say your room is 3m wide, the lengh os 7:(5:3=)1,667=4,2m rounded, which is close the the average bedroom.

So, if your room would be 3x4,5 you'd make it a bit smaller by placing a plasterwall (I dunno how you'd call it in english) and surround that wall with acoustic detaching rails (surface, walls n ceiling). Stuff is easy to work with and pretty cheap. You need the rail, plasterplates?!, U and C profiles for creating a skeletonframe to mount the plasterplates on and rockwool for isolation behind the plasterwall(more=better). You use 2 layers of plasterplates, one covering the half of the layer below it in order to make it soundproof(a crack in the wall with one layer still leaks out dB's, 2 layer half over half stops it WHEN you close close all cracks in the first and second layer.

on the room tip there are quite a few things that can be done on the cheap to help with acoustics

Word, I dunno the expenses but you can do this for less than 150 bucks if you ask me, well, depending on your roomsize ofcourse. If you room is much bigger you could build a boot behind the wall, that is if you're handy enough hehe.

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.

duh, but I had to say it anyway hehe and you never know, we started out in a basement....

oi mate whats with the attitude.....

so i stated the fucking obvious.... there's alot of obvious shit said.... chill it doesn't effect you

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
^^^I dunno, tell me what's with the attitude ? I wasnt bashin your comment or you for that matter, so Im lost on this one...