What about Cubase?

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
Alright, I have been a long time user of Reason and I know the ins and outs of it...
I have been thinking about changing daw for a while now.
I have been staring at Cubase now and I really think it might be the one for me... Sexiest feature being the tempo detection. (not just finding the bpm of an audio track but adjusting every bar to the tempo of an audio track that's been recorded without click)... That's for use mostly out of the hip-hop world but the Ill crowd seems to know his daw pretty well,

So here comes the questions :
Do you guys use Cubase and have other special features you always use?
Do you use an other daw that makes the tempo detection thing as well ?

Thx for your input on this costly matter

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Honestly almost every DAW has that feature these days. Hell propellerheads (the makers of reason until they just recently changed their name) was one of the first to do it with their recycle software. But Reason can absolutely do this out of the box now. What version are you on?

what other reasons do you want to switch?

I have been a reason power user for years and I just love it. That being said Cubase is one of the best and most advanced DAWs out there. I have mixed a ton of records in it back in the day. That was before reason could do audio. You really cant go wrong with it. The things I hate about it are the stupid dongle and the user interface can feel cluttered. But once you figure that out you are good. I personally went logic for scoring and mixing because I like the workflow a bit better. But if I was forced to go PC I would either go cubase or studio one.

YannFer

Honestly almost every DAW has that feature these days. Hell propellerheads (the makers of reason until they just recently changed their name) was one of the first to do it with their recycle software. But Reason can absolutely do this out of the box now. What version are you on?

what other reasons do you want to switch?

I have been a reason power user for years and I just love it. That being said Cubase is one of the best and most advanced DAWs out there. I have mixed a ton of records in it back in the day. That was before reason could do audio. You really cant go wrong with it. The things I hate about it are the stupid dongle and the user interface can feel cluttered. But once you figure that out you are good. I personally went logic for scoring and mixing because I like the workflow a bit better. But if I was forced to go PC I would either go cubase or studio one.
I'm on Reason 10. I'm pretty sure Reason doesn't have the feature I was talking...
Btw this explains what I want it to do :

Yes i can adjust manually the tempo or warp the audio in Reason but not detect tempo for each quarter bar automatically. It takes ages to adjust a 3 minute piece like this (i've done it in the past) ...

Plus I found out recently that scoring to picture is a lot of fun. So I'm happy I switched to Cubase. Logic is good with this also but I'm PC.

And I can use Reason rack as a vst now... I doubt propellerheads will develop the daw features in Reason... I think they opted for the plugin side of things with this move... They'll keep adding instruments and fx but they don't seem interested in catching up on Daw features lately...

Anyway, I switched.
It's been a month now on cubase for me... I thought it'd be hard to change the habits but it really isn't. I now find it hard when I go back to Reason to work on my older stuff.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Reason can do that although not as elegantly. That being said if you are scoring to picture Reason is NOT the daw for you.

I do disagree though, they will keep adding features to the DAW side for sure. Most of their user base does not use it as a plugin.

cubase is awesome! Enjoy!

YannFer

Reason can do that although not as elegantly. That being said if you are scoring to picture Reason is NOT the daw for you.

I do disagree though, they will keep adding features to the DAW side for sure. Most of their user base does not use it as a plugin.

cubase is awesome! Enjoy!
I missed that feature then... Just out of curiosity, could you give me a hint on where to find it or how to do it?

I don't do much scoring to picture, but I enjoyed it and am very happy I had cubase to do that when the opportunity came.

I really hope they keep considering their long time users and keep improving the Daw for them.

But the market for the plugin version is much bigger than what they could gain on the competitive daw business... And it would require investing a lot to catch up on FL studio, logic, studio one, and actually most other daws to take some market shares...

Considering ownership has changed last year or 2 years ago, they will probably keep opting for the short term ROI side of things... Which is sad for us as users and one of the reason I got another daw.

I've used Reason for about 15 years and it is an incredible piece of software, and very unique as well. But what makes it unique is the rack routing possibilities which you can now use as a plugin in another daw... So, there's no reason for me to not use Reason in another daw. I love Reason but it is very inefficient at so many things. You can do the same things as other daws for sure but the workflow is far from optimal, don't you agree?

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
you have to double click on a piece of audio and then you can edit the transiet markers if you have time stretch enabled on it. If you have recycle its even easier. But like I said Cubase is much more elegant.

I think they mainly brought on a new investor but who knows what the future holds. I also have used it since version 3 and still love it, but find myself not using it exclusively like I once did.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Look @YannFer into Logic for scoring.

YannFer

Look @YannFer into Logic for scoring.
Thanks for the input but I'm definitely a PC guy. Logic is Mac only I think. So that was an option I sorted pretty fast.

I thought about FL because it's very sexy and the community is huge. I seriously considered studio one for a long time... but cubase implemented ARA2 protocol (for melodyne) recently I think... I might want to upgrade and get melodyne at some point. Really the only flaw of cubase for me is the price. But now that I bought it, I'm not getting that back.

I have used Protools in the past but I couldn't quite wrap my head around it... it's really targeted at professionals maybe.

members online