What bass for sustained trap bass??

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
What sort of source sound or synth best for getting that sustained trap bass like this track?

There are better and more examples of what I mean, but when you need something it's hard to find huh?

Also, how do you approach mixing these?? How do you keep their weight and presence without it completely overwhelming or dominating a track. Mostly interested in hearing from those who *do*/*have done* it before.

What sort of source sound or synth best for getting that sustained trap bass like this track?

Sample packs with 808s that can be easily found on the Internet? :D

If you like to synthesise your own 808 it's good to make it out of a square wave and filter out high frequencies above 200- 100 Hz.

Same with mix . Filter everything above 200-100 Hz and you should be good to go. Personally, I do it like this but I also boost it around the aforementioned range of frequencies.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
With constant bass surely you'd want to cut low 3nd, nah??

Having a sub or something sustained over 4 bars would be too fatiguing and over powering??

And surely you need freqs above 100/200 so that the bass is audible???

With constant bass surely you'd want to cut low 3nd, nah??

Having a sub or something sustained over 4 bars would be too fatiguing and over powering??

And surely you need freqs above 100/200 so that the bass is audible???

No, you don't need it. You can put distortion on it in order to put more harmonics in it. And yes, this IS 808 but if you're looking at it from the perspective of Roland TR-808 it's obvious it will sound different. There are lots of types of 808s as @2GooD Productions said it's more like a type of bassline now. And it's not true at all that 808s tail off. They don't. It all depends how you set them.

And it's not true at all that 808s tail off. They don't. It all depends how you set them.
Yeah thats true, but for an authentic 808 it should tail off. The ones in FLEX are straight constant all the way with no tail, unless you turn the sustain down and the release up. There are no rules, just guidelines, and if the end result is hot its hot, doesnt matter how you got there.

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
Just an idea here. If you have a granular synth, drop an 808 sample into it then set it up so that it freezes when you sustain your midi note and play the tail on release. I don't know if that would work...

Edit :
Hey I did my first tutorial !!! Well I'm just showing you what I mean here.

Last edited: