what bpm's do you use? popular songs bpms?

prose1

ill o.g.
Hey everyone! I thought it would be cool to find out what bpm everyone uses and what popular songs have as there bpm. For example does anyone know what bpm j dilla used for stakes is high?

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
88, 90, 92, 97, 87.6, 91.765, ....... honestly for hip hop if you keep it between 80 - 100 you should be good and the tempo should all fit in to what type of song you tryin to make. Some songs just sounds better slower and others faster. You'll get an ear for that over time.

DJ Redrum

Playin' For Keeps
ill o.g.
This topic would probably get more replies had it been posted in '' The Lab '' seeing as it isn't related to Reason.

I usually stay within the range of 80 - 95 for most of my work. I've never heard the J Dilla track before for me to find you it's tempo, maybe someone else can help that as it.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I don't go to far from 96. Like 90. I chop samples to 96 because that's the bop I'm comfortable with.

But doing remixes helps me out. Aesop stuff goes all over the place. From like 67 bpm to 110.

T

The Arkitekt

88, 90, 92, 97, 87.6, 91.765, ....... honestly for hip hop if you keep it between 80 - 100 you should be good and the tempo should all fit in to what type of song you tryin to make. Some songs just sounds better slower and others faster. You'll get an ear for that over time.

yea 80-100 works out best for me, sometimes in the high 70's when theres a slow song i might be sampling

Elgen

The Moose With The Most.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
i've gone from 80-110. i think it all depends on the sample i'm using, but 90% of the time, it'll be between 88 and 96 BPM for me

Spiderman

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I use whatever tempo feels right... I dont think I've ever used anything lower than 76... the highest I went was about 105... but that was a sample...

Bamboo

ill o.g.
Sticking to one set bpm range is really gonna make your style sound stale.

You have to think about the mood of the song, the lyrical content, the message you're trying to get across. Also, if you're chopping samples then there are certain restrictions; timestretching or pitch-shifting too much is just gonna wreck the sound or lose the quality of the original. If you listen to some Kanye, his beats will go from high 60s through to 110, the whole feeling of the drums is gonna be different based on the tempo - he'll pick a bpm based on the sample, artist, market (club, backpack, street) etc.

I'm starting to experiment with tempo tracks in my sequencer (Cubase SX3), and gradually shifting the bpm up or down during the track - faster to increase tension or slower when I pull back and say something deeper. Music made with machines doesn't tend to do that so I think it's a good way to bring a more organic feeling to the music, like not quanitizing your beats to humanize the drums.

Experiment man, thats always the way forward.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
^agreed.

There shouldn't be a BPM range for hip-hop.... if you want to stay within a range...you're limiting yourself to that range.....producing music should be without restriction......