What Constitutes a Classic Album?

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
What elements make an album classic in your opinion?

Variety, topics, popularity, sales, hype, critical acclaim, sonic character, lasting power?

Thoughts?

Im still formulating mine, but want some others on what the criteria for a classic hiphop/rap album is. Will post later.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
For me it's:

• Changes the game
  • Just sounds dope
  • Both music and vocals are on point
  • Something different that everything else out

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Ill have to go with "Lasting Power". I think after a few years if your still listening to the album, not just a couple songs but the entire album then its a classic. One point to get across, whats a classic to you may not be a classic to anyone else.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
A good question. I can't really say what makes an album classic. There's a lot of albums that deserve classic status, but never really achieved it, whereas there's others that are heralded as classic, but may have no business being classified as such.

I just go by what my ear tells me. I usually go by good production, consistency, and of course, good MC'ing. Of course, all this is relative, as style changes as time moves on, as does the fanbase. So it depends a lot on all these variables.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I was gonna say if I produced it. Really I think it's all of the above with the key being longevity. If it's something that you just can't hear to much of, or after 5yrs plus you can look back on it and still like it...it's a classic.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Firstly something thats classic is timeless. Think of any album, movie, car, wine, anything you consider classic.

Bringing it back to music, the album must be filled with pure dopeness in every single track. Not one or two hot, radio-ready tracks and 32 filler songs so the project can be called an 'album.' A music album should be treated like a photo album, only the best pictures make it in the photo album, so only the best songs should go in your music album.

IMHO an album should be condensed, these days everything is all about over-sized portions. Restaurants with too many menu items, too many crappy TV shows, vehicles bigger than your drive-way and/or garage, the list goes on. Do something more condensed that last in the ballpark of 1 hour and you songs will be memorable to the point that people will remember the track number of every song.

I'm sure there is more I can say on this, but honestly I don't think it's something that should be overthinked. Just do two handfuls (gripping handfuls, not barely holding on handfuls) of tracks that make you go "Yea! THAT is Hot!"

Another thing tho, don't be afraid of features lol

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
For me it's:

• Changes the game
  • Just sounds dope
  • Both music and vocals are on point
  • Something different that everything else out

When you say different, you mean it seperates its self from everything else? or it just sounds different?

Ill have to go with "Lasting Power". I think after a few years if your still listening to the album, not just a couple songs but the entire album then its a classic. One point to get across, whats a classic to you may not be a classic to anyone else.

I was gonna say if I produced it. Really I think it's all of the above with the key being longevity. If it's something that you just can't hear to much of, or after 5yrs plus you can look back on it and still like it...it's a classic.

Agreed, Lasting power may be the biggest component. Can there be a classic agreed on with everyone in the culture in 2012+? (taking into account, fragmentation of interest these days)

A good question. I can't really say what makes an album classic. There's a lot of albums that deserve classic status, but never really achieved it, whereas there's others that are heralded as classic, but may have no business being classified as such.

I just go by what my ear tells me. I usually go by good production, consistency, and of course, good MC'ing. Of course, all this is relative, as style changes as time moves on, as does the fanbase. So it depends a lot on all these variables.

True, good points!

If Im on the album, its a classic.

I hope this means you were secretly behind alot of albums lol

Firstly something thats classic is timeless. Think of any album, movie, car, wine, anything you consider classic.

Bringing it back to music, the album must be filled with pure dopeness in every single track. Not one or two hot, radio-ready tracks and 32 filler songs so the project can be called an 'album.' A music album should be treated like a photo album, only the best pictures make it in the photo album, so only the best songs should go in your music album.

IMHO an album should be condensed, these days everything is all about over-sized portions. Restaurants with too many menu items, too many crappy TV shows, vehicles bigger than your drive-way and/or garage, the list goes on. Do something more condensed that last in the ballpark of 1 hour and you songs will be memorable to the point that people will remember the track number of every song.

I'm sure there is more I can say on this, but honestly I don't think it's something that should be overthinked. Just do two handfuls (gripping handfuls, not barely holding on handfuls) of tracks that make you go "Yea! THAT is Hot!"

Another thing tho, don't be afraid of features lol

Good post!

Having features is a science imo, it has to be called for and fit perfectly. You dont want to distract from the flow of your song and album

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I should also add that the time period is also important. Think back to all of the albums you consider classic and consider WHEN they came out.

Queenofex

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I'd have to go with
-Standing the test time
-Creativity and Influence
-How wide of a audience has it reached
-Has this album turned into inspiration for another artist.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
I should also add that the time period is also important. Think back to all of the albums you consider classic and consider WHEN they came out.

Right, its impact within its era and how people feel about that era.

I'd have to go with
-Standing the test time
-Creativity and Influence
-How wide of a audience has it reached
-Has this album turned into inspiration for another artist.

Agreed Queen! I think the inspiration part is a good distinction. The effect the project had on peers and future generations may be a very good indicator. Every artist has atleast one album that made them want to do what they do, and its usually an album that got alot of acclaim.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Actually NPR did a story one time on the difference between anthems and classics, anthems were anything that you can play at a sporting event, classics are something everybody knows but you cant play it at a sporting event.. OR somethng like that.
Ill have to look it up .

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
It's funny when you listen to an album and consider it classic.....

For me..it's not about specifics......when you listen to it....you just know....

When you listen from start to finish and be like "shit...this fucking album is awesome".....

Then when you listen to it a year later.....you'll be like "shit...this fucking album is awesome"

Then when you listen to it 5 years later .....you'll be like "shit...this fucking album is awesome".

Then you realize all you've done is listen to this dope fucking album over and over again and never get tired of it...... not to mention those couple of songs that are so dope that if you had it on tape, you probably broke the rewind button...

I can't even tell you how many times I listened to "Represent" from Nas on Illmatic.....I still go bananas when I hear any record from that album.....as well as "It Was Written"

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Word Suc, I feel you. Understand completely

I dont like the term 'Classic Album'
Too many people are like 'Its a classic bro, you gotta like it'
Id rather listen to something I genuinely liked that listen to Illmatic 300 times waiting for it to sound good

Sounds like people using the term to force their opinions on you. Does that mean you consider acclaimed albums to have a title "classic" because others deem it so?

BrianBeatz

Battle Points: 1
A classic album to me is an album thats earned a permeant place in your CD changer or Playlist. And even after you haven't listened to it in a while, when you find it again your like "Hey I remember this album", and you put on your headphones and listen to it like it's a new release. Something you'll introduce your kids too. It's music that plays an influential part of your life.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
a classic doesnt have fillers, almost each track hits the nail. Stuff like Sun rises in the east and hard to earn are classic because each track in there has delivery, i cant name one song on those albums which are mediocre.

A classic album to me is one that sounds just as good now as it did when it came out.
A lot of what came out in the early to mid 90's(golden era) has that appeal to me. Albums made of great tracks all the way through, not one or two "hits" and the rest filler.
I could start naming names of albums but their really isnt a point, as music by nature is subjective to the listener, one persons classic is another persons trash.
The whole nature of the industry has changed, its not in it for the long term classic anymore, just in it for the short term hit. Im not sure it will ever be the same again.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Classic albums are determined by Impact, Timing, and Longevity. There are different types of "classics" too.

There are several albums that are classics that I get lots of arguments about for example Puff Daddy and the Family: No Way Out. Changed the game entirely and produced one of the top 20 hip hop singles of all time "All About the Benjamins".

Albums can also be classics when they set trends. Case in point, Illmatic (in my opinion) is a sonic masterpiece. Lyrically ahead of its time but its a classic album because its the 1st solo hip hop LP that used an All Star cast of producers, which of course is a trend you see today.

There are albums that are the crown jewel of an entire "movement" or dominant period of time for an artist. Diplomatic Immunity from the Dipset is an undeniable classic, though many argue that it isn't.
Nelly's Country Grammar is another classic album. Too many to name and so many ways to argue it, which is why we all love hip hop.

members online