what do you look for in a sampling cd ??

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
just wondering what other people think of as the good and bad when it comes to commercial royalty free sample cdees.

is price an issue ? i generally go for more expensive cdees from reputable brands like east west etc. as you know it will have something worth keeping.

do you look for 24 bit ? (a big plus for me love the 24/44.1 samples can layer and layer and still not hear the noisefloor) a real hate is 48k sample rate as dithering them sounds worse than 44.1 (ever with the apogee or marantz dithers) 88.2 i think is what should be used but obviously no-ones hearing me.

what format do you look for i do you just like getting the in wav format and slicing yourself? (i like to get multi sample type instros in akai format because i know they will work with everything and grooves to slice i like in just basic wav or aiff format)

and what is your favourite instrument ? (me myself it is nylon string guitar at the moment love vibraphone samples ala roy ayers too)

oh yeh and if anyone has a favourite sampling cd (or record) that they want to share your little 'secret' is probably already known by the person you're trying to keep it from !!

yall check the soundtrack to sweet sweetbacks badaaas song and then listen to madlib or any west coast producer. melven van peebles PURE DOPE underground genius

pirell

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i just look for good kits, good snares are hard to find, but i think im just being a bit lazy cos, you can EQ average snares to sound phat if u know what ur doing, ..since i just me a Rolana fantom i dont think i need to go splash out on sample CD's apart from Drum sample CD..talking of sample CD's..check this i went into a store with $50 to buy a sample CD, and walked out with a Roland fantom instead!!! ive always been an advertiser's sucker :(
but thats all i need sample cd's for,

C

Copenhagen

I look for single/one shot multisample CD's, where you can actually play the sounds. I hate loops.
I've bought from Big Fish Audio, and was generally disappointed.
Many akai CD's are good for that, and seeing that I use Reason, I use a lot of refills too.
With those type of CD's loaded into the NN-XT, you can play them just like when you choose a sound on a keyboard. Some have a lot of crap sounds, some have a lot of good sounds, but that's the same with many keyboards. But there's always a least a few really good sounds.
Most CD's nowadays have good quality, so I don't pay much attention to this.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
You might want to take a look at Bangin Beats. I got some sounds from there(just to check them out) but all I was looking for was different sounding snares & kicks, those type sounds arnt hard to find. If your looking for differnts sounds to add to your melody and stand out, the only way to get the type of sounds your satisfied with is to find/make your own.

"The OZ"

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
Holmzini said:
jack drums offa ur fav producers... neptunes, dre, tribe, ... etc. u would be suprised how many drums u can find in your current cd collection

hahah thats funny shit holmz ...i actually have a sampling rule : I never sample from my own genre. ill grab my drums off some ethnic third world shit before a dre track ...jus cause i wouldnt want dudes jacking y sounds!

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
ibuy sample cd's soley for mulit instrument- i just got "heart of asia" so i can finally get some asian sounds in the mix- dulcimers and oriental flutes, etc. i dont really care for the loops. no point inusing the same loop a million others are using.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Sample CDs

As a person who collects sample CDs for many many years, i can answer the following:

1. variety and diversity.

2. (very) high sound quality or at least above-normal sound quality...

3. creativity.

personally, i'm more into loops than one shots\multisamples. i'm into all kinds of sample cds, and i really have at least a little of everything.

Best Regards,
Wings

Obsidian Blue

Igneous
ill o.g.
It really doesn't matter to me, for if I like it enough, I'll do my best to make it work for me. As far as cd's go, I'm fond of the the jazz recordings that haven't been given that Rudy Van Gelder 1,434,534,354Phz bit remastering treatment, cause it just makes it easier to sample individual instruments. Otherwise, if I can input the sound into my computer, it's all fair game......

members online