What do you think about music file-sharing?

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
Fade said:

Notice the trend of new artists popping up left and right since file sharing began? No longer are the big-named, established acts the only ones who will get payola. It sucks for overhyped, past-their-prime groups and acts who rely on their prior success to promote and push their new albums.

I know of a few companies who will actually track downloads for a particular group, artist, song, etc... and make statistics for them based on that.... for example, if "Shake Your Geriatric Moneymaker, Gramma!" by The Wedgie-Sniffers was getting downloaded left and right, the group would use that song as their next single. Clever.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
i think its great, at least at the moment.

because i have a a small handful of people who are looking forward to my full scale album because of the tracks i have shared with them. a few guys said that they want to BUY the whole project... so that means that it gives us as independant artists a new medium for distribution and promotion, and for developing oourselves by recieving direct feedback from the people who are listening...

all in all, we can use this to our advantage, and if the industry is so desperate to hang on to the traditional methods, well, they will feel a sting from it because as chuck d put it, it is the new radio.... and we can, and are using this to an advantage.

plus, if we keep independant we can offer whole projects for lower rates...think, at, say, $7 bucks a pop, people would be more willing to pay for a full album from an artist who has shown that they give a rats about what their fans think...

basically it is an can be a powerful and revolutionary tool to those who take the high road and use it creatively...

ill o.g.
I dont download albums on a regular basis. I only download when its somethin hard to find. I get mixtapes online cuz they aint makin money off them anyway, and I might get a couple mf doom cd's online cuz i cant find em anywhere else but thats it.

I feel like it is stealin from the people. I respect certain artists enought that even if there album got reviews about how much it sucks ill still buy it, outta respect.

I hate it when people download shit, but i guess there really aint much i can do about it.

It also looks better when you showin your cd collection and you got the real shit and your people all have mix cd's with sharpie shit written on em.

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
i download everything.

If i like it, I buy it on VINYL.

hopefully one day i can download records lol.

If i dont like it, straight to the recycle bin.

I love it. CD's arent worth shit anyways (to manufacture)

Artists make lots of money touring (which they should)
Record execs make loot on record sales (which they shouldnt)

gram green

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
same here.. i download airthing airday.... i can usually get most shit way before it comes out.. but if its dope im gonna buy it on wax so i never feel bad....

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
i do download anything but i think to some extent people shouldnt see it as an end to CDs etc i think if people really support these artists and like what they download then they should go out and get if its wack forget it then they should have put more effort in lol but if its dope then i think purchasing a CD isnt too much hardship !

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
I will download tracks but if i really like it i will buy it when i get the money, like t.i i am going to download it and when i get 13 dollars i am going to buy it,, but stuff like little john i just gone had it get that shit downloaded,

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
if i wanna sample some shit...

i can just download it if i cant get it on vinyl......

i may get a single.....if i really like it

ive never downloaded an album that i didnt wind up buying

most albums consist of like 5 good songs....and a ton of bullshit fillers......

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12
i download all the time. i really can't understand the point in spending 20 bucks for a cd when there's only 2-3 songs i'm really gonna enjoy. i mean, sometimes you get a good one which is worth it. but honestly, i think the only reason to buy a cd is if you want to support the artist. i mean, artists that aren't making a lot of money. those are the ones who need the support, not the ones who need money for another lexus.

M

MIKELABZ

If Anything Its A Wake Up Call To The Riaa To Start Making Better Quality Albums For People To Listen To. With Individual Track Downloading It Exposes Songs That Were Just "thrown On" To Cd's To Increase The Album Quantity Which Exposes Many Years Of Cost Cutting On The Riaa's Part.

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
MIKELABZ said:
If Anything Its A Wake Up Call To The Riaa To Start Making Better Quality Albums For People To Listen To. With Individual Track Downloading It Exposes Songs That Were Just "thrown On" To Cd's To Increase The Album Quantity Which Exposes Many Years Of Cost Cutting On The Riaa's Part.

That's so true. The opportunity to download songs before buying the album allows for the consumer to check the quality before buying. Master P would would release albums with more songs than other artists, saying he is providing a better value, but the reality is most of the songs were junk.

Ctrl

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
it def is quality over quantity...

id rather buy an album wit just 8 fire tracks...than a 20 track album with 2 fire tracks...5 ok tracks...and 13 fillers...

M

MIKELABZ

coming sooN said:
it def is quality over quantity...

id rather buy an album wit just 8 fire tracks...than a 20 track album with 2 fire tracks...5 ok tracks...and 13 fillers...

LOOK AT ILLMATIC... 10 FIRE TRACKS. NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS. 1 OF THE BEST ALBUMS EVER. HIP HOP OR NOT.

C

Carpe Diem

I think its a good thing, but if i like an album enuff, then i will go out an buy the CD

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
i think it depends about how the market is in your country. In canada, for example, downloading canadian's music over the net could be bad, because the people prefer listening to music from the states or from europe. They dont Really listen to the local artist. Look, Celine Dion is a native of Quebec, and at that time she wasnt known in the states, she didnt sell millions per album. lol never! Maybe 50 000 cds...or less...or a little bit more.
For etablish artists having their songs on the net can be, in my opinion, good for them.

zone

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
MIKELABZ said:

that's bullshit. you can't measure the "quality" of music. its all subjective. if you're out of touch with the shit artists are making these days, it's probably because you aren't the target audience of pop music anymore.

and fade, what happened to "No posts related to warez, p2p programs, or offers of distributing software." shame on you.

C

Copenhagen

zone said:
and fade, what happened to "No posts related to warez, p2p programs, or offers of distributing software." shame on you.

This is a discussion on the subject, not an encouragement. Illmuzik is not allowed to encourage it, but we are allowed to discuss the matter, and that's what we are doing.

I think they should quit CD's anyway, and provider better quality MP3's or alike, which are still the same small size...and make players, Dj equip. etc to fit that...cause it's a media that is here to stay.
And we all know that downloading is not hurting the industry as much as they say. They forget that their statistics are 10-years-old or so and today people still have the same money, but also the choice of DVD's, Video Games etc etc...and what would you rather buy? A DVD with bonus material and shit like that, which you perhaps can watch again and again, a Video game with lots of extras and work put into it or a CD with no extras and only 4 songs that are to you liking...? No wonder they've lost in sales...cause people are buying other stuff too.

chewbux

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
its good for us so i gots no problem. ill get my hands on music anyways i can.